Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
That's the advantage of reloading Sam, plus it is pretty fun...............VaHillbilly.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington 700

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Remington 700

Um.......................what about the 700?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had a couple of Tikkas and now have an A7. Simply had to try one especially when the price dropped to that of a Tikka. There are some advantages over the Tikka but nothing that you couldn't live with or without. I've also had a Sako 75. Looks wise the 75 was the cats a$$! One of the prettiest rifles ever made IMO. However shooting all of them there isn't much difference. All are picky looking for the right load. The A7 does come with a 5 shot MOA guarantee and the Tikka comes with the 3 shot MOA. And none of them put a target in to prove it... But once you find the right load they'll shoot just fine. Matter of what you can afford and the look or feel that you want. The A7 does allow you to drop the trigger to 2# very easily and that to me was a nice feature. Plus it's a good feeling trigger. Also like the ability to open the bolt while on safety like the 75 does.

Saw the Icon mentioned earlier, have 2 and both came with targets and with the ammo the target was shot with. Both exceeded the factory target right out of the box. They're heavier than the Tikka and A7s, but they are by far the easiest to shoot gun that I've ever owned. And that's saying something..... And they are the least pickiest with almost everything you put in them shooting an inch or better. Worst load I've had in one was about 1.5". I've had much worse in rifles made by Sako. Plus the Icon tends to shoot most loads to the same spot - something I've rarely seen in anybody's gun. I have one 243 shooting 3 different loads, from different manufacturers within an inch of each other at 100. The 4th load is 2" higher but dead on otherwise. Dam good rifles.. and the weather shield is probably the best finish out today. Tells you that it requires no oiling. Just wipe it off if it gets wet or dirty.

Hillbilly go get ya a stainless A7! Before the prices go up, you won't regret it. I won't be selling my A7 any time soon either. Good rifle. Also as someone pointed out it carries good. Just feels good in your hands. Might have mine bedded though to see if I can get it even tighter..and then magnaported... just cause there's always room for improvement!

Any of those mentioned will do a fine job. A lot of it is what feels good to you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by brents99

I really want to buy another one but can't justify it right now....

Brents99, Trust me on this, you'll never own as many guns as you really want if you have to JUSTIFY each one! smile

Now I've managed to come up with some pretty lame EXCUSES for buying guns but please don't make me JUSTIFY a Gun purchase, if I did I'd probably only have a 22 rifle a 12 guage pump and a 30-06 Rifle, what fun would that be? smile ..................DJ

laugh Good point.....

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The A7 SS has to be without doubt the best buy in a hunting rifle going right now, but I think it's and opportunity that won't last very long.....................VaHillbilly.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 16bore
Remington 700

If referring to a out of the box 700 vs. Sako, then I'd say the 700 is always in the rear view mirror.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Each one is great. Just a step up from one another.

PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Sako Guarantee, and you can throw in Weatherby also for that matter, is no more than words on paper, and not even a big deal, any relaoder with time and minimal skill should be able to make all but the worst examples of riflery shoot MOA, Rifles today are made using CNC machines that leave tolerances that rifle makers could only dream of back in the day....I think we should get over these guarantees, they aren't a big deal...

True, but at least Sako has the nads to put it on paper and I'll bet they state that guarantee using factory ammo, not handloading. 5 shots not 3 says they are confident in their product that sports a sporter weight barrel.

btw, just bought another Sako A7 for my oldest son.
Just to good to pass up. I'm impressed with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SU-how have they been shooting for you? I know that Sam's has been perking well for him.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting one in 22/250 for my grandson and another young man from my church who's starting hunting this year to use.

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mark, just received the one and the other one is on it's way, so no chance to shoot yet.

Also, been trying to decide on which ring and mount system to use. Talley's or Leupold QR's or PRW's that would fit on the current mounts.

as a side note
I'm buying some 168 E Tips to compare to 168 TSX when I get enough phone books. smile
The E tip with a .5 BC has a lot of going for it at 3,100.

For those who are interested.

I did the switcherony on recoil pads for the A7. Very easy swap out. Takes 1 minutes, i put some kroil on the screws.

The rifle weighs out at 6 lbs even. A little more pad for the 300's recoil. I loads em good and hot.

Off with the old.
[Linked Image]

On with the new.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After reading the thread there are a few differences I have not seen mentioned. I own both (T3 x 2, and 1 A7)and I can say with I like the A7 just a bit better. The tikka has more plastic, the A7 less, and the 85 even less.

The bolt handle on the T3 goes into a slot that helps keep the bolt together. The A7'a bolt handle is - well - bolted on. Disassembly of the Tikka bolt is a bit tickier than an A7. The A7 you just rotate the shroud with the included tool and it comes apart. Literally, nothing remains captured. The spring, pin, shroud, and cocking indicator are all loose. Very easy to reassemble as well. I kinda dig that.

The other differences are all covered well. However, as I am finding out the rings with the tikka have a tendancy to slip under repeated firings. I shoot alot and so I may notice it more than some. So even though they are included I find I will still be having to buy either rings and bases, or rings,or talley lightweights smile. Having to buy rings for the A7 - any weaver compatible - not too hard, is not really extra.

Hopefully I will be able to get out and shoot my A7 soon. I broke my leg and have some screws in my ankle right now. Doc says I should be good by hunting season for sure though !!!!

A7 gets my vote - price, features, ease of set up - BAM.

SC

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Agree with ya on those Tikka rings. Not my cup of tea at all. First set I ever tried just didn't feel right. Put a set of Weaver bases on it and never had a problem. Did the same to the second Tikka.. A7 kept it simple and came with them. Good move on their part. Only thing they could have done better is machine them into the receiver. Now that would have been nice.

Also now with the A7 being able to be bought for less than a new Tikka it kind of makes it an easy decision.

Someone mentioned the new model having the soft touch stock and that possibly the dealer got the remaining ones for a deal. Nothing wrong with that. Did the same thing last year on some Hitachi tools. They changed one little feature and liquidated the old ones for less than half price. They work just fine for a lot less $$! Hard to walk away from a really good deal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
The A7 SS has to be without doubt the best buy in a hunting rifle going right now, but I think it's and opportunity that won't last very long.....................VaHillbilly.

Sounds like you have talked yourself into buying one.... cool

If you get one in .30-06' be sure to let us know how it shoots and kicks. shocked grin

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If I do get one Brent I'll let ya know how it shoots, I think it would make a fun new toy.................VaHillbilly.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.