Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Was a private road on private property.

I have yet to see a bipod that works for a 6'4" standing shooter-especially one that weighs 1/2 pound. I have never hunted with you so I don't know how you hunt but I carry a carbon fiber tripod on about 75% of the hunts I go on. My daypack usually weighs about 30# depending on how much water I have to pack with me. You can't kill them if you can't find them. The Claw eliminate the need for a bipod so it is a wash weight-wise.

I will build my next rifle without a floor plate and incorporate a 701 compatible plate into it so I can use it on the tripod without the claw. The claw just makes it more veratile for using it with other rifles.

We have different hunting styles- no biggie.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've found the claw to be very versatile and I'm quite happy with it.

Hunting in the Southwest is a little different proposition than what most are used to. As Dennis and Doug previously mentioned, most of us down here are already packing a tripod with big eyes for the majority of our hunting here in AZ. If you aren't packing a tripod on your hunts already, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Shots here tend to be long due to geography. The vital area of a Coues buck is no more than 8-9" in diameter. A solid rest is absolutely necessary to make clean kills on a regular basis at these distances.

I've packed a Harris bipod on my rifles for the past 6 years or so and I'm a big fan. However, I have missed out on more than a few opportunities that did not allow for a prone shot due to vegetation. Shooting sitting with a bipod fully extended, I am only comfortable shooting out to 300 yards or so.

I purchased the claw this past summer and have used it quite a bit and find myself really liking it and implementing it more and more. As far as steadiness goes, it is comparable to shooting prone off a bipod. For moving/multiple target it is very easy to move from target to target.

It is fantastic for young kids. The "crickett" rifle that I have for my kids is too big and heavy for both of my girls. With the claw, I can mount the rifle at their exact shoulder height and they can focus on sight picture and trigger pull instead of hefting the rifle. My 7 year old is quite proficient, and has no issues shooting my .223 off the claw as well.

I can now stand up on stands while calling varmints. Unlike a bipod, I can swivel 180 degrees with the claw on a tripod. Standing up allows me a much better view over the vegetation and I have a rock solid rest. My 10 year old nephew shot his first coyote @ 110 yards off the claw. There's no way we would have ever seen that dog had we been sitting on the ground.

I can sit in a lawn chair and pop P-dogs all day long. When I need to reset, I grab the chair and tripod and walk as far as I need to and plop back down and resume shooting. Its alot easier than moving a shooting table or truck and beats the heck out of laying down prone in the sand on a hot June day.

It works great set up in a portable ground blind as well. Just set the tripod up inside the blind and you've got a dead steady rest.

As Dennis already mentioned, I can go from glassing to shooting inside of 10 seconds while hunting Coues deer.

As far as weight is concerned, I just weighed my claw and bipod. The claw came in @ 14 oz vs 20 oz for the bipod.
The tripod/head combo weigh in right @ 5lbs.

Certainly not junk, just might not make sense for everybody here.

Goose

Last edited by bluegoose; 02/20/10.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
all they need is Billy Mays to hawk this foolish device. Oh, he's dead.
Maybe the Sham Wow guy as some extra time to devote to this.

Sam......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
My bipod is useful either standing (6 4") or sitting, and it weighs about 1/2 lb.

I'm curious about this bipod as well as I'm 6'5. Care to share any pics/info? I'm always curious to how others are doing it.

thx.

Goose

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Dennis, I enjoyed your write up and the pictures of the claw in use. This is something that I have been looking at for awhile. I have young kids that I am trying to teach to shoot and the reason I would buy this (they are right handed but left eye dominant and presents a unique callenge). Unfortunately I can't justify spending the cash on the claw right now. You talked about attaching the 701 plate directly to the stock of the rifle. How would you do this? Would you just tap a 1/4 20 into the stock of your rifle. I cringe a little at this, but was curious if you had something figured out. Thanks

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 32_20fan, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.