Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
If it Flies, it Dies: As a crane operator, we sometimes leave our cranes on the jobsites for weeks. Then every day we report to the job site. If the job is more than 50 miles from our yard, we get $65 a day subsistance. If it's 49.9 miles we get nothing, and have to drive on our own time. Now if the job was in the direction I live. I wouldn't complain. But of course it never is. And on days like the last two, for noise reasons. We can't start till 8 A.M. and work till 4:30 P.M.. This put me in the heaviest traffic. The job is only 35 miles form my house. And it takes 2 1/2 hours each way. I never get my truck out of second gear, and the traffic is stop and go the entire way. I'm so tired of California, and Los Angeles County. The deep dark woods sounds great.<P>Phil

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greyghost, yeah, I've spent a good bit of time in the LA area, particularly Long Beach and while there are lots of things I like out there, the traffic is not in the top 200.<BR>A Marine DI acquaintance of mine picked up from CA when he retired and moved here, said he bought a nice house and 40 acres or so for less than he could rent in CA. Land and houses are fairly reasonable around here, and good hunting for ducks and deer. Maybe you should consider moving when you retire? We're 150 miles from Dallas, use lots of crane operators over there, but am not sure of wage levels. Good Shooting.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi Phil. I made it ! When your finnished with the LA basin, I can recomend Placerville. I've got hunting 20 mins. away, and deer come through my yard. My "ATV" is a Jeep Wrangler. I can't go everywhere that an ATV can go, But it's close. BTW, that ATV is just the ticket in D-12. E <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greyghost:<BR><B>If it Flies, it Dies: As a crane operator, we sometimes leave our cranes on the jobsites for weeks. Then every day we report to the job site. If the job is more than 50 miles from our yard, we get $65 a day subsistance. If it's 49.9 miles we get nothing, and have to drive on our own time. Now if the job was in the direction I live. I wouldn't complain. But of course it never is. And on days like the last two, for noise reasons. We can't start till 8 A.M. and work till 4:30 P.M.. This put me in the heaviest traffic. The job is only 35 miles form my house. And it takes 2 1/2 hours each way. I never get my truck out of second gear, and the traffic is stop and go the entire way. I'm so tired of California, and Los Angeles County. The deep dark woods sounds great.<P>Phil</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Eremicus: Glad to have you back, misssed ya, its been over a month, and another site. Placerville sounds like a winner to me. Need any crane opperators up there. I've been pretty much rained out for the last two weeks. Worked today, but now it looks like the rain is comming back. Supposed to rain through Wednesday, from what I hear. Have you got any "Hog Hunting" up there. I've still got my book of tags. Was hoping to go on a guided hunt up at Tejon Ranch, but was forced to postpone a month or so. Need to break this ATV in real good too! Tom (PumpGun) has got the 2001 Slam set up for an Elk hunt in Colorado this October. If all I do is camp out, I'm going to make that one. Hopefully I can get my drawing apps in on time. Otherwise I'll just get an over the counter Bull Elk Tag, and hope for the best. Should Be Fun!<P>Phil<BR>

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.