Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I am expermenting with float and Betts spiders for Pan fish does anyone have their Favorite for pan fish, Bluegills, Crappie, etc for light tackle

Last edited by LFD; 03/31/10.
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Beetle spin micro, catalpa colored grub on a tiny safety pin lure..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
small jigs and twister tails. the new Panfish Gulp! works pretty well too. I like it and it lasts longer than crawlers.

Camp is where you make it.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Beetle Spin for panfish

Fin S Clear with sparkles for crappie

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
does anyone use a leader line for 6lb test example 10 or 8 lb Flora Carbon

Last edited by LFD; 04/01/10.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The only time I use a leader is when I'm using fireline or power pro for my main line.

Camp is where you make it.
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
How about Mepps spinners are there any more I want to get a good start in ultra lite fresh water fishing

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have better luck with Panther Martin spinners, about size 2 in your choice of color, though Mepps have put alot of fish on the table for me in years past. Basically I like them both in still water, and MUCH prefer Panthers in moving water.They have a slower start up speed ( to get them spinning) which comes in handy on upstream presentations....caught a lot of Warmouth ( see other thread...) with them in moving water back in the day...

Oh, and one other thing...NO swivels!! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have good luck with tiny tubes or twister tails on a small jig retrieved under a weighted (for casting) cork for crappie in spring. When they are a little deeper, just forget the cork. Jig tipped live minnows on the bottom in very deep (20-30') water. Bluegill seem to like a tiny piece of live nightcrawler on a long shank #4 hook retrieved with a little splitshot to help the cast and to fish deeper, (usually no cork). Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 fun and giggles go to a 3 or 4 weight fly rod, once you do you'll never go back to spin tackle..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I sold both my Sage Fly rods 5 WT and 6WT and replaced with Ultra Lite spinning and just love it. Fly Rods do have a place but ultra lite is a dream come true. So many options so many different size fish can be caught. Micro baits are a challange and a lot of fun . So many experienced people on this site helped me to get going in right direction. Just learning every day Pan fishing and Trout fishing with ultra lite for me is the way to go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are in the heart of good panfish country....I miss fishing in the south..especially for bluegills.....

Ingwe

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I hurt my shoulder and went the spinning route for a couple of months. It's a productive way to fish, as you can fish a lot more water with a spinning rod than a fly rod.

But you can fish poppers with a fly rod and they're deadly on bream and bass. I'd look for a lighweight popping setup in an ultralight rig. An old-time popper is the Hula Popper, which I've fished on regular weight spinning rods. Or a small minnow-looking crankbait as second choice. And third would be a 1/16 oz. lead-head jig with a rubber tail. Jerk-bait.

Went pond fishing today, in fact. Caught about 16 bass and a few bream, including one nice one on poppers.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to fish wet for crappie and sunnies are fun as well. 4 me...spin fishing has become too boring (didn't quite dare say too easy)...grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 04/03/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Crappie are meat fish, and they use jigs around here off poles...lots of poles. It's a harvest more than fishing. They are delicious. I catch a few on a wooley booger, but never fish for them. They give up pretty easily, even the big ones.

Down South, all panfish, sunfish, bluegill and mostly catagorized as "bream." Pronounced "brim." A bream that weighs a pound will give you a turn. He is a scrappy fellow and not afraid to die. But the majority aren't big enough to give a lot of sport, but they sure taste great.

As for catching other fish with a flyrod, I've caught my biggest trout, which probably weighed 10 pounds, on a 5wt rod and a 4x tippet. And I've caught many, many 3-5 pound bass on that rod. I now use a 6wt rod for bass and bream, as it's the right length for pond fishing from a boat (it's a lot easier to cast standing than sitting.)

When I go river trout fishing, I drop down to a 7'6" or 7' 9" 4wt rod, or an Orvis Far and Fine.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mostly 2" tube jigs for crappie with a Berkley floating power egg. Use 2"-3" berkley powergrubs with either a gold or silver spinner for goggle eye, perch, etc.

CK

CK
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anybody ever tried 2" tube jigs for stream trout???

Ingwe

L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
No but was told at Bass Pro at Clarksville, Cin. in fly shop to use a light float with small leader, tie leader behind float use spiders, Poppers or wet flys for Pan Fish. When Fly Fishing I used indicators with wet flys below indicator worked well. With ultra lite can do the same with float and leader under float with use any wet fly or Popper etc .

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The float/fly combo on ultralight works great on mountain lakes, especially if theres a little wind..on streams...not so much...( for trout that is,I'll bet it would work great on panfish....in both venues...)

ingwe

L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
What great about ultra lite you don,t need 3 or 4 rods you can use one for a lot of different fishing 2 lb test to 6 lb test will do quite a bit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.