Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A Sako .222 is on my wish list and I'm thinking about selling a few things to start looking more seriously.

I'll be the first to admit though that I really don't know a hoot about the different variations. See all across the net how great the Vixens are. What are other variations, I've scene references about Rihmaki and what not. Anything that should be avoided or what are things to consider?

Ideally I want a sporter weight and something that hasn't been abused. I know they don't come cheap unless you happen to be in the right place at the right time, which I seldom am.

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I traded into an L461 Vixen in .222 Remington Magnum about three years ago. It is an amazing little action and the rifle is a sub-1/2� gun. I wish it was not the Magnum, though. I already have some 223 Rems, 204 Rugers, and 22-250 Rems and the 222 Mag stayed home. Last year I traded it away for a Kimber of Oregon in 22 Hornet. Even though the Hornet is a nice rifle, it does not compare to the Vixen. If you come across a Vixen in good shape, I recommend that you snap it up. Even though I do not need a 222 Rem, I am always on the lookout of a Vixen in that caliber. I may even trade the Kimber for it, since I have other rifles in the Hornet, now.

Since this is the only Sako I have owned I cannot give you any advise on the differences. My Vixen had a Bofors barrel. Good luck.

VarmintLooney -

�When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.� Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned several Sako .222 Rem. My sons, both have them for their varminting rifles. They shoot extremely well and brass is easy to get. They shoot 50 grain bullets best, in regards to accuracy and velocity.

It shouldn't matter which Sako action...Rihiimaki, L46, L461 or the later AI, they are all reliable and extremely well made. I prefer the Rihiimaki actions, but they are hard to come by.

Get one, you won't be sorry...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That little number on the bottom gets me HARD.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice collection shrapnel

So what are the main differences in the actions between the variations mentioned?

Few weeks back there was a NIB (beat up box) Vixen HB in .222 at a gun show. Fair price for what I've been seeing them go for on-line, but want a sporter weight.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow. Very nice. The third one from the bottom works for me.
Funny to see the recoil pads on some of those. That is one cartridge that doesn't need one.
For smaller game or a training rifle for kids, hard to beat the soft spoken little .222.

stumpy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a close-up of the Rihiimaki action. You can see the bolt and the workmanship that goes into producing this action. There is more machining in that bolt than there is in most guns. It has a cocking indicator built in and it has the roller safety on the top that actually blocks the firing pin rather than just an interrupting device that is found in many bolt actions.

[Linked Image]

The L46 and L461 actions are different, I don't have a picture of one of them, but they are very clean looking and functional to boot. The safety has been moved down onto the right side of the stock, still locking the trigger and the bolt.

The AI action is the later version which has a dust shroud covering the back of the bolt that the L461 doesn't have. Other than that the function is the same. The bottom rifle in this picture has the later "Stoeger" imported style of short action.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm a big fan of the Sako 222's....both kinds grin
My pard and I have snagged a few. He just bought a nice sporter 223 we have yet to see.

222 Mag
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
222 Mag, 222 and 222
[Linked Image]

These are all Vixen actions, except the Black stocked 222, which is an AI (covered shroud).

Last edited by HawkI; 04/05/10.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some awesome Sako's posted here.
I'd sure like getting one in 222 someday.
They, in my book, are the BEST 222's ever made. Same goes for the 222 Mag's and the 223's on Sako actions.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The thing that I love about them, (and I am fortunate enough to have a Riihimaki and an L-461) is that 222 and 223 rounds do not look lost and swimming around in the action like they are in a 700 or similar.

Wonderfully smooth and well engineered rifles which are nearly always scary accurate. If you can get one, do so as you will NEVER regret owning it. When I learn how to post pics here and have the time to do so I will post shots of my custom stocked Riihimaki and L-461. They go with me every single time I go varmint shooting.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
The thing that I love about them, (and I am fortunate enough to have a Riihimaki and an L-461) is that 222 and 223 rounds do not look lost and swimming around in the action like they are in a 700 or similar.

Wonderfully smooth and well engineered rifles which are nearly always scary accurate. If you can get one, do so as you will NEVER regret owning it. When I learn how to post pics here and have the time to do so I will post shots of my custom stocked Riihimaki and L-461. They go with me every single time I go varmint shooting.

Well, here is a link to how to post pictures -- because I want to see those custom-stocked Sako's! smile

How to post pictures on 24hourcampfire

Don't disappoint me now! I have an old Sako .222 and I am thinking of restocking it!

John

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes, nice rifles everyone. I should be taken out back and slapped around for even thinking about making another purchase, but what the hell smile

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Re: Sako actions.

I am by no means an expert, but here is my understanding based on what I have read.

The first version of the Sako small action was the L-46, which was introduced in the late 40s, initially designed for the .22 Hornet and .218 Bee, and was chambered in .222 Rem beginning around 1950-51. These actions had the box-shaped bolt shroud with pivoting safety on the right side, which locked the firing pin. They had a detachable single column magazine with the release inside the trigger guard, and a trigger which was copied from the Model 70 Winchester. Initially it had a stamped trigger guard and classic design stained birch stock. Later versions had a machined trigger guard and French walnut stock (see shrapnel's top picture above in his post of 4/04 at 3:51 PM which shows the box shroud and machined trigger guard). They have double-tapered dovetails for scope mountingIncidentally, although the bolt superficially appears to have a Mauser-type extractor, in fact this is a guide rib.

I believe these are also referred to as "Riihimaki", which is the city where they were built, because they had that stamped on the left side of the action. They came in sporter weight and a heavy barrel version with a beavertail fore-end.

Up through 1960 this rifle was listed in the Gun Digest simply as the Sako Varmint Rifle, but beginning in 1961, the Gun Digest listed it as the Sako Vixen, and my 1963 Gun Digest shows it with a Monte Carlo stock and more squarish fore-end.

There was also a L-469 action which was made between 1959 and 1961, and was a lengthened L-46 to accommodate the .222 Rem Magnum - information from Mims Reed of the Sako Collectors Assn published by Frank de Haas in his Bolt Action Rifles book.

Around 1964 this was replaced by the L-461, which was slightly longer to accommodate the .222 Magnum and .223. The visible differences include a cylindrical bolt shroud, and a fixed staggered column magazine with hinged floorplate. The trigger guard also appears more "slanted." The trigger system was changed to a Sako designed single stage system with a sliding (rather than pivoting) sear and safety on the right side next to the bolt shroud, which locked the sear, trigger and bolt. This trigger system had been introduced a few years earlier in the medium-length L-57 action (Forester) and was also used by FN in their Supreme Mauser action. Hawk1's post shows details of the L-461 action.

In the 1970s or 80s the action was further modified, with the major visible change being the bolt shroud which totally enclosed the cocking piece and slanted down toward the back. I believe this was called the A1 action.

Also note that Sakos pre-1972, aka Pre-Garcia (Garcia was the importer starting around that time, and had their name stamped on the gun) carry a higher price tag by around 25%.

I have an early sporter weight L-46 in .222 with 24" barrel, built approximately 1951, which weighs less than 6 lbs empty and will put 3 shots into 1/3" at 100 yds if I do my part. I prefer the earlier guns with a lack of a Monte Carlo butt and more rounded fore-end.

HTH.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From what I learned while looking for mine:
Small calibers are most desireable
I like the L461 action the best
Bofors steel marked barrels are more desireable
Pre Garcia import rifles are more desireable
A deluxe stock is more desireable

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you have never owned a Sako 222,you have been severely deprived.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carlm
From what I learned while looking for mine:
Small calibers are most desireable
I like the L461 action the best
Bofors steel marked barrels are more desireable
Pre Garcia import rifles are more desireable
A deluxe stock is more desireable

[Linked Image]

I still can't see an older Sako Deluxe and not get teary eyed. I used to have a small corral full of them, but broke away from the mainstream and had to get custom made beauties. They are still a bargain, as most of the older ones don't book as high as newer Deluxes and I prefer these exact models. They are so nicely done and not pimped like Weatherby's, I just don't understand why they aren't bigger among real riflemen. I would prefer a .222 magnum even over the.222, you just don't see 'em!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a Deluxe, but it's a biggun. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you have never owned a Sako 222,you have been severely deprived.....

I came close to one, but at the time I really couldn't afford it.

I was in graduate school at the University of Arizona and now and then I'd visit Jensen's which at the time was a fine gun and reloading store.

One day I dropped in and right there on the shelf was a used heavy barrel Sako 222 just like I had seen in a Gary Sitton article. It was on consignment and after I put a few puzzle pieces together I figured out it was Gary's rifle.

Damn I wish I hadn't been a cash strapped student at the time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After reading all the fine posts, the first civilian rifle bearing the Sako name was the L42 Luodikko rifle model 1942, chambered for the 7x33mm Sako cartridge. They were great favorites for hunting Capercaillie. I held one once and it had a Artic Birch stock that was stunning. It was not for sale. Regards, Rick.

John Deere tractors and Sako rifles.....doesn't get any better.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
mathman: There is redemption..... whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.