Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T
For two guys to pack an elk in one trip, it does result in some pretty heavy packs. Last year with a 5 pt bull I shot my pack weighed 125 lbs and Levis 135 lbs. We had 3+ miles and 3000' of verticle (mostly downhill :))

That makes my knees hurt just reading it. You da man, Ed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ed_T
For two guys to pack an elk in one trip, it does result in some pretty heavy packs. Last year with a 5 pt bull I shot my pack weighed 125 lbs and Levis 135 lbs. We had 3+ miles and 3000' of verticle (mostly downhill :))

That makes my knees hurt just reading it. You da man, Ed.

Smoke,

Not really. I was just trying to catch up to Levi. He is half pack mule, half sherpa in the mountains. He is the toughest, best hunting partner I have ever had.

Here is what he looks like with a 135 lb load:

[Linked Image]

He even has my rifle at this point!

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My hat's off to Levi. They don't hardly make any hunting partners like that anymore.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jeez, I don't look that good with 25 lbs. of meat! Frankly, I just don't look good. wink Levis is a good guy and you're both lucky in your choice of partners Ed.

TXRam, good for you planning ahead on meat. So many guys go elk hunting without a thought to planning on what to do once they get one on the ground. I, on the other hand, have been planning for years and seldom find it a problem but at least I'm prepared. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a little trick I came up with many moons ago when most of the meat bags out there were just the cheese cloth jobbers and not strong enough to hold crapola. I safe up some of those red colored nylon onion bags. If the weather is warm you can hang the boned out meat and air and cool the meat and pull one of the cheese cloth bags over it. Put backstraps/tenderloins in one, cut roasts and throw it in another, etc... you get the idea.
Also works well to slide inide of small trash bags. If you are using your actual backpack bag you this will keep it from becoming a bloody mess as well as allowing you to layer your load inside your pack to keep everything from being balled up in the bottom.
I ordered some material that is a bit stronger and working on sewing up some bags that would buckle into my NICE frame in combo with my Longbow bag. Best of luck, I hope you get to enjoy that sweet misery of an overloaded pack. I have been lucky enough to kill better than 30 elk, only had three come out in one piece. Happy hunting, Casey

IC B2

V
V
casey, im curious what the material is your sewing up?
vance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We used to use cloth flour sacks. I'm guessing they're no longer current in the baking biz.
Later, mom bought stuff at fabric stores. You should be able to browse there and finger the different materials. There ought to be a couple suitable.
And pillowcases aren't a bad substitute. Thrift stores are a good source.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The cheesecloth bags are terrible. They don't keep the meat clean and the flies can lay eggs right through them. I've made bags from old sheets that work great. I've used pillow cases many times, but, depending on how you quarter and elk, they might be small. If you take the haunch or shoulder off the corpse, it'll fit. If you leave it attached to the spine/ribs/etc, it likely won't fit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Material that's the stuff we ordered. I'll post some pics when we get it put together. Casey

R
R
Hello Ed and all- I have followed this forum for several years but this is the first time I felt I had something to say worth adding- I carry an ultra lite block and tackle set up that I purchased from a marine supply store in Seattle- weighs just a few ounces. I cut my elk (or deer, whatever) in half at the third rib (from the back)and hang the half from a cross beam that I erect between two trees. Granted in the Panhandle it isn't a problem finding two trees. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of this set up. After years of boning elk on the ground, I am sold on this technique- there is some dinging around to do to get ready, but once the animal is hung it is much easier and cleaner (for me at least). I hunt by myself almost exclusively and have been able to get my animals hung by myself with less difficulty then you might think. I highly recommend this system- something to think about anyway. You may want to check out this thread for the brand I use http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=9758&highlight=block+tackle - I use the 3 purchase block
- rijrunr

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I cut my elk (or deer, whatever) in half at the third rib (from the back)and hang the half from a cross beam that I erect between two trees.

Trees? grin
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.