Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned more mid-price and high end rimfire bolt action rifles than I care to recall and in My experience have noticed that it's not uncommon for these $1000+ rifles to have functioning issues, it might be feeding, extraction or ejection but it seems every time I invest My money in a new rifle it has issues of some sort or another, My latest headache is a very expensive Cooper Mod 57M, at $1450.00 you would think the thing would at least be able to feed the last cartridge out of the magazine without jamming, but evidently I'm expecting too much cause it can't, My last headache before the Cooper was a brand new Weatherby Mk XXII (Anschutz 1416) that half the time couldn't even eject a spent case, it would just flip the case straight up and more times than not it would settle in the ejection port and cause a jam when I try to feed the next round out of the mag, this was My 5th try with the 64 action so I knew going in that the 64 was a notoriously bad ejector, it had been several years since my last try at one of these and I had hoped that Anschutz had dealt with this problem by now, wrong!. I have owned Kimber rifles (both Oregon and New york) three CZ 452's, all of these rifles had ejection problems. I have owned a few Sako finnfire and a couple Quad rifles and never really had any issues but I just learned recently that Beretta (in all their wisdom) decided not to import the Sako Quads anymore. What I'd like to have is rather simple, in My opinion anyway, I want a super accurate bolt action rimfire that simply does it's job and functions without issues. I'd like to read some opinions on this subject, maybe I can get some kind of consensus as to what I might try next.......Thanks VaHillbilly.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've heard the Winchester 52s are hard to beat, I couldn't afford an original, so I went with the reproductions that were being produced in the 90s.

So far so good.

They are still available on the secondary market.

You might want to check out the forums on Rimfire central, there seems to be more discussion going on over there on these types of weapons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rem 541's are pretty dam good IMO

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Remington 40X and it is built like a 700 and we all know those are tuff as nails.
I have had two 541's and have to agree with Passport, they are good as well.

Another gun that I have (2 in fact) are the Ruger 77/22's. They feed and preform great.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can tell of one that isn't reliable, a Kimber. I shot it all day yesterday in a gopher field and had several malfunctions where the brass didn't eject and the next round out of the magazine jammed as I tried to close the bolt. The gun did, however, shoot fantastically.

The guy I was hunting with was using a Ruger 10-22 and that was a real mess. I wouldn't want one of those for any reason. I know there are millions of them out there and people that like them, but between his incessant rapid firing and constant complaining from jamming, I couldn't take much more.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Lately, I am not too impressed with any Remington rifle product that I have purchased or looked over.

I would go with a Browning bolt rifle (older manufacture date), Brno, or a CZ (which you have already excluded) for out of the box accuracy and function. My experience with CZ rimfire rifles is solid performers accurate, well made, and function everytime. I have a Zastava with a Remington stamp from a few years ago, has the ugliest stock, but shoots tiny single hole groups with Federal red/black box ammo all day long for an out the door cost of $130. Really like my Kimber Hunter, but it only shoots match grade ammo in tight groups everything else is a 3" pattern.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ruger 77/22...you might have to tear the magazine apart and clean it up every ten thousand rounds or so... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another + on the Ruger 77 rimfire.

I have a 77-17 that I've owned for several years. It has NEVER malfunctioned or jammed.

I've also got a Sako Finnfire that has never jammed.

Do have a Weatherby MK XX11 that will on occasion "dribble" an empty case when the bolt is worked slow.

Virgil B.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Never had a problem with my CZ452 but it has only had about 500 rounds through it so far. My Ruger 77/22 .22 WRM has accounted for about 3,000 prairie dogs so far and the durn thing has NEVER malfunctioned in any way...except it goes "click" instead of "bang" when it is empty. Sometimes I have wished for a 30-rd. magazine for it when the PD's are dumb.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 04/11/10.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Rifles with bullet proof actions that I own now, or have owned are:
Anschutz Model 54
Suhl
40x
Swindlehurst
Win Model 52
CZ 452's

Last edited by DMB; 04/11/10.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 40X is the best in my opinion

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quads can still be found. I picked up a nice used one in 17 HMR and am just tickled. That and my 77/22 mag has the gophers in tatters.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had two magazines for my Cooper,one fed perfectly,the other occasionally would not feed the last round properly.My dealer replaced the defective magazine,and my Cooper now feeds perfectly with both magazines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had a hint of a problem with my CZ452.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Va Hillbilly,

Buy a used but not abused Ruger 77/22 and send it to Clark Custom in Louisiana. Have them install their mid-weight barrel cut to 18-21 inches depending on how you like your rifles to balance. Have them do a trigger job to your requested pull weight. Put on a high quality scope, sight it in with the ammo of your preference and live happily ever after.

Cheers, RS

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ingwe, You are right about a Ruger 77/22 being reliable, I have owned at least four of these and they have all been bullet proof in the functioning department but the other qualification I want in a 22lr is that it be super accurate which none of My Rugers were, I did have one that would shoot .5" at 50yds after shooting almost every high grade 22 lr ammo I could think of and spending a pile of money on ammo, this is the very best it would do though, I've also tried a few Remington 504's with good functioning results, I just never found a real "Tack driver" .......VaHillbilly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
VA,

My Ruger experience is about like yours. I had one of the first ones made in 1985.. Really the whole design is /was pretty good but the gu only shot 5/8" groups at best, most were 1"+ at 50 yards- pretty mediocre. The problem was the bolt desgin and toldances are pretty sloppy, IMHO. They always have been and it's a big reason whay many of those guns don't shoot for beans right out of the box.

I think if Ruger retooled the m77/22 action , and tightened up the tolerances like they did with the Mini -14, they would truly have a world class rimfire hunting rifle.. Until that day, I will avoid them as there are better options for the $$, IMHO.

BTW, VA, exactly how well did your Rem 504 rifles shoot? Any function issues?

Last edited by jim62; 04/11/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another + on the 77/22. Just finished shooting the first case of ammo at beldings ground squirrels this spring. And still don't have the field cleaned out. I tend to shoot in single shot mode. If I use the magazine, I forget to count and snap the firing pin on an empty chamber. Never an issue when single loading.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/11/10.

1Minute
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree with You on the Ruger Jim, they would have a world class rifle with a little tighter tolerances, the 504's I owned had zero issues as far as function, after several thousand rounds through each rifle I can't recall even one fail to feed, extract or eject with either rifle, the accuracy I experienced was good but not great, both would shoot .5" at 50yds but they had to have the exact right ammo to do it, most ammo would produce .6" to .75" groups at this distance, acceptable accuracy in a hunting rifle for sure but still not what I would consider a "Tack Driver"..............VaHillbilly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a Remington 504. The key word is HAD. The action was good but the accuracy was not worth a hoot. Mine would only do about 1 inch at 50 with about 10 types of ammo and tried every trick I new.
You could not run fast enough to give me another 22lr unless you put an aftermarket barrel on it. I hear good things about the 22WMR, and 17's, but after the 22lr I would have to see it first hand to believe it.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
370 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.