Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Been thinking about going to a heavier recoil spring for at least one of my 1911's if I start feeding it some pretty warm loads, say 200 gr. bullets at 950-1000 fps.
What have been your experiences with doing this ? What do you recommend ? E

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your 1911 should pitch the cases anywhere between 6-10 feet away. Any shorter and your spring is perhaps a little too stiff, any longer and it's probably not stiff enough. With most standard loads, this is generally somewhere between 16.5-20lbs on a standard government model, and 18.5-22lbs on a Commander. For standard 230 grain loads, I like 18.5 on my government and 20 on my commander; but that's just me.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I run an 18lb on all three of my gov.models and have no function problems on mid to fairly hot loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try a 17.5 or 18.5 lb variable power spring from Wolff - it's my everyday spring and works pretty well with a variety of full power loads. I used to shoot a H&G 68 SWC at about 950 or so as a "bowling pin" load back in the day and that spring seemed to work fine for that as well.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks guys. I kind of had the idea in mind that 6-10 ft. could be reduced to 3 feet or less as well. But probably not a good idea for reliable functioning. E

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I try to use as light a spring as possible to minimize battering the pistol going into battery, but like Kevin said, the key is watching the ejected brass.

I almost always use shock buffers and I always have an assortment of springs in my range bag if I need to change one out. If I need a spring that's a couple pounds more than factory I usually change out the firing pin stop first.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I run 20# springs in my commander and full size 1911s. They cycle fine even with lighter loads.
I also run a buffer in one of my guns. My fullsize doesnt like em though. In my opinion, anything I can do to minimize the beating my guns take without harming function or reliability, im gonna try it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mostly I would suggest a recoil buffer, but be sure and test it first in your gun..They have worked well in my defense guns, mostly Commanders, and you may need to tinker with the spring or whatever, In other words tweek it but always test an auto and test it a bunch. I have seen too many of "my gun never jams" go bad and if they do I can about guarentee it will be at the most inopertune time of your life.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IMO a variable power spring will work with more loads than a "fixed rating" one, but I prefer a fixed rating, as it�s "stiffer" at the beginning of the cycle, where it delays unlocking, protecting the gun and giving, theoretically at least, more accuracy.

Just MO, Hermann

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flinch,

20-lbs is a lot of spring for a government model. Heavy springs work both ways - recoil and return. Every time that slide returns to battery the slide and frame take an extra whack.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been using 18 lb springs an my 1911 guns since day one, just works for me.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by T LEE
Been using 18 lb springs an my 1911 guns since day one, just works for me.

+1.. If the lock up is correct and the lockup stays locked to the end of the pivot link, then their is absoluetly no reason to use a heavier spring.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JOG
Flinch,

20-lbs is a lot of spring for a government model. Heavy springs work both ways - recoil and return. Every time that slide returns to battery the slide and frame take an extra whack.

I hear you JOG, it doesnt seem to be a problem though, I dont let the slide go unless it has a round to go with it. So far this theory is workin for me. (knock on wood)

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You feel that the round is a buffer, that some how protects from the added slap?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think when the slide takes a round from the magazine it slows the slide a bit more than if you were to slingshot it empty.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flinch444
I think when the slide takes a round from the magazine it slows the slide a bit more than if you were to slingshot it empty.

You're right, but everything is relative - the slide still hits the frame harder, and wears the sear and extractor more with a heavier spring. Yep, it might be a tiny amount of extra wear, but over many thousands of rounds it can make a big difference.

The $15 solution is an EGW (or similar) firing pin stop. As you know the bottom of the firing pin stop is the bearing surface that cocks the hammer. The original JMB design called for a radius edge on the stop. The radius doesn't provide any leverage for the slide. Carrying chamber-empty was common back then so the army requested a beveled firing pin stop to make the 1911 easier to hand cycle. Changing back to the radius firing pin stop will take more energy from the recoil spring and slow the recoil cycle without speeding up the slide returning to battery.

The EGW firing pin stop comes with a straight edge (no radius) so you or a 'smith will have to file/stone the radius. It's an easy tweak and only $15 if you nuke the part. BTDT blush

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
I try to use as light a spring as possible to minimize battering the pistol going into battery, but like Kevin said, the key is watching the ejected brass.

I almost always use shock buffers and I always have an assortment of springs in my range bag if I need to change one out. If I need a spring that's a couple pounds more than factory I usually change out the firing pin stop first.

+1

I like to use as light a spring as possible & also use shok-buffs.

16.5 lb is the stock spring for a 1911 & I almost never use anything over 17.5 but I do use variable rate springs even with +P ammo.

IMO, heavier springs than 18 lb are simply not necessary & lead to more problems than they solve if the gun is set up right.

MM

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
16.5 lb is the stock spring for a 1911 & I almost never use anything over 17.5 but I do use variable rate springs even with +P ammo.

I've never given variables a long term chance. Why the preference?

Come to think of it, I've never used a variable weight spring with an EGW FPS. I'll have to leave myself a note to try that. Not a huge thing, but maybe that would offset some of the hand cycling issue.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I've never given variables a long term chance. Why the preference?

I think they perform a little better over a wider range of ammo (recoil level).

Originally Posted by JOG

Come to think of it, I've never used a variable weight spring with an EGW FPS. I'll have to leave myself a note to try that. Not a huge thing, but maybe that would offset some of the hand cycling issue.

"Hand cycling" ? When......as in racking the slide to chamber a round when the slide is closed? or clearing a jam?

If so, yes, they are marginally different in feel from a non-variable spring but way better than racking a slide with a 20 lb spring, if that's what you are referring to.

That's another reason I don't like really heavy springs.......most guys simply cannot easily rack a heavy spring as it should be done.......& Commander lengths are even worse, IMO.

Never had/seen the need for an EGW or other more squared type if FPS either.

MM

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The gun was designed for a 16.5 lb spring with a slightly radiused firing pin stop while shooting 230 grain hardball. Shock buffs were a solution to the extra battering after the beveled fps. Heavier springs are not necessary and can cause more problems than they cure.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.