Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The larger scope will allow you to use more magnification under low light conditions. It will, in effect, bring you closer to ther target and, therefore, allow you to see further.
Both have lots of eye box, the 2-7X feels like it's got even more to me.
I haven't had the differences in coatings jump out at me between Leupold's Multicoat 4 Coatings and the latest Diamond Coat 2 Coatings on the VX3. But I would buy a VX3 over a VX2 simply to get the super hard coatings. E

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the 2x7's but my favorite is the 2.5x8. Have 4 of them.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will need either a front extension base, or extension rings to mount the Leupy 2-7x33 on a Rem 700. The combination of short scope and long action are not compatible without the extensions. I have a Vari-X III 3.5-10x42 (I think its 42) on my 300 RUM and it fits perfectly in regular mounts. The 2-7x33 is too short. I tried it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP should also be looking hard at the Bushnell 4200 3-9x40. They feature Rainguard HD coatings which are scratch resistant and water repellent as well. For $250, it's a far better deal than either of the Leupold's with considerably better optics and is more durable as well.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I've settled on the 2-7 for now. Since I'm a scope junkie I'm sure I'll have to try something different in 6 months but that's what I love about these forums. You can do the research then pick up a good used scope and try it out for awhile and if you don't like it, put it back on the board and start all over again. Thanks again for all of the information.

Elkslayer53
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm thinking of buying a Sako A7 243 Win in the next few days for use as a walking rifle for calling coyote that will double for deer with a few ground hogs thrown in now and then. I wanted the rifle light and trim and was thinking a VX-II 2-7x33 would fit nicely in LW Talley mounts. Having the low power would be a plus when swinging onto a closer moving coyote. But, having the exta power of a 3-9x40 does make a difference on smaller targets when you get much beyond a couple hundred yards. I was scoping crows this AM with a 3.5-10X Leu that were spread from 175 to around 250 yards out. There was enough advantage of a 9X setting over a 7X setting on the overall size of a crow that leans me towards the bigger scope if I were shooting a bunch more smaller critters than I were shooting deer. The only thing I dislike about the bigger 3-9 is that it may be a bit on the bulky side for a slim and trim rifle.

The raw numbers go as such:

2-7 is 11" overall, weighs 10.5 oz, and has 5.2" ring space.

3-9 is 12.4" overall, weighs 12 oz, and has 5.6" ring space.

The 2-7 will be at 4.7X with an Exit Pupil of 7mm.

The 3-9 will be at 5.7X with an Exit Pupil of 7mm.

You shouldn't have any trouble making out a big game animal with either scope during legal daytime hunting hours. But, it appears by the numbers that the 3-9 may have a slight advantage.

Someone noted the 2.5-8X Leupold. I've had a couple over the years and they were alway a pain in the rears to fit for a good cheek weld on a long action as the tube is so short. If you think the 2-7 is short, the 2.5-8 is shorter. I dislike extention rings that jam up the top of the ejection port. I like to keep that area open for easy access. If you can make the 2.5-8 fit clean over the ejection port, it's great. If the mounts end up looking like a Frankenstein project, it's not too great.

The CDS was also noted. Excellent ballistic system, but the smallest scope available with CDS is the 3.5-10x40 and that thing looks like a midget wearing a 10 gallon hat when you stick that scope on top of a slim and trim mountain rifle:) You can get the LR Duplex in either the 2-7 or the 3-9. The reticle is a modified German #4 with dots spaced between the cross hair and thick section of the main post. For most standard cartridges, zero the cross hair for 200 yards. When you set the power ring at the max setting, the dots and thick section are spaced to give 6.59" come up at 300 yards, 19.2" come up at 400 yards, and 39.1" come up at 500 yards. Most standard cartridges fall within +/- 5" of this drop compensation at 500 yards. There is an alternative setting for faster high energy cartridges with less drop.

Good Luck on your choice.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm late to this thread, but you might enjoy this past one- Yeah, this one

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like both the 2x7 and 2.5x8, but on that rifle would prefer the 2x7 just a little due to its slightly smaller size. Eye box and relief are not critical and ample on both. I've got a 2x7 on a .338 WM and it's a dandy.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by elkslayer53
Wanting to put a smaller lightweight scope on my rifle but I am trying to decide what to do. What are the disadvantages of the 2-7 vs the 3-9? Will it make a huge difference in those last few moments of legal light? How about for aging eyes, is the 9 power that much better than 7? I've never owned a 2-7 so I thought I'd ask around here. Thanks.

I make that debate with myself frequently.

My 2x7 Leupys are trim, less likely to get bumped around, are lightweight and make a lighter rifle balance better for me.

I love the "sight picture" of my Leupy 3x9's--up close in the timber when the elk bust out, and on the uncommon occasion I have to make that longish shot. I also really like the 9 power when shooting groups at the range with my 53 year old eyes.

Indeed, I have demonstrated to myself I can shoot better groups with my Vari X-II 3.5x10 than I can with a VX-II 2x7 on the same rifle with the same loads.

But in the end, I go with the 2x7's--it's the all around "package" that counts for my hunting rifles.

Of course, for me the best of both worlds is the VX-III/3 in 2.5x8........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,140 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.