What are your faves.....and colors too?

GB2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
spinner baits.

[Linked Image]

love me some spinner baits cause pike will smack em hard too.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Off the top of my head, I'd say...

1) Jig (mostly natural colors, though I do like some wild ones)

2) 4" slider style worm on a spider slider leadhead (color not terribly important, but can never go wrong w/ black)

3) Rat-L-Trap (chrome w/ blue or black, white or bone, strawberry red)

4) Rapala countdown minnow or similar (a neutral weighted Lil Ripstick is awesome)

5) Spinnerbait (though I much prefer items 1-4)

That said, if the jig is even remotely working I'll stick with it, unless trying to cover water quickly.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Night crawlers

one of about 1000 kinds of spinner baits

Rapala's

Mepps spinners

jig n plastic

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We always had great luck using a three-hook crawler harness at our place in Ontario. (red beads, three spinners). I've never had any luck with any artificials up there, and I've thrown everything imaginable at them.
I have good luck cutting two of the hooks off the same type of harness and using a minnow or crayfish instead of worm. The lake we're on is a great smallmouth producer; catching them in the 5+ pound range is quite normal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by levrluvr
We always had great luck using a three-hook crawler harness at our place in Ontario. (red beads, three spinners). I've never had any luck with any artificials up there, and I've thrown everything imaginable at them.
I have good luck cutting two of the hooks off the same type of harness and using a minnow or crayfish instead of worm. The lake we're on is a great smallmouth producer; catching them in the 5+ pound range is quite normal.

we caught a bunch of them on our leech rigs set up for trolling for walleye last year......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
jigs
Smallish rapalas
Rat l traps

Will be tossing flies at them this year. Smally shop

Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll go a little diferent early...Orange Flo Rooster tail spinner with a gold blade///

Otherwise, 4 inch worms, pop'Rs...stick baits...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rapalas if the bite is aggressive.

Powerbait pumpkinseed craw on a slip sinker rig is the bite is on the bottom.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RDFinn
[Linked Image]

Dat one...I like it a little more brownish, but I think its what I like, and not so much the fish... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rattlin' Rogue jerkbait... fished in a specific style. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've caught smallies where ever they swim on those.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Dat one...I like it a little more brownish, but I think its what I like, and not so much the fish... grin

Ingwe

You sure do have an interesting sense of humor. This pictured is my absolute fav, including the color. Next in line would be:

Crawdad Crankbait
Wally Diver
White Spinnerbait
Shad Rapp

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good to have a little variety as well. Threw in a "Turd Tube" for ingwe. That's actually what the company (Wacky Worm) calls it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Threw in a "Turd Tube" for ingwe.

laugh

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What do you guys use when they are on beds?

something simple to use that is...:)

Defend the Constitution
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by tomk
What do you guys use when they are on beds?

something simple to use that is...:)

Since the smallies don't touch artificials where we go in Ontario, I'll use a small jig with a live crayfish hooked through the tail, right on the bottom. A slow bounce and retrieve is all it takes to entice them off the beds.

I sometimes go out at sunrise just to do a little scouting to see where they are; it's usually so calm and the water is so clear you can see them in up to 30' of water. They won't bite in the calm, but go home and have a little breakfast after the scouting trip and try them as soon as the breeze picks up and it's almost always a success. When they're sitting on the drop-offs and around the huge boulders in the lake, I'll use the crawler harnesses with live bait, minnow or worm.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't know much about smallmouth and the top five suggestions are of interest. I lived on a good smallmouth river when I was a kid but majored in trouts. Fished smallmouth with a crawler on a 3-way mid-summer.

I've fished Lake Michigan shoreline(rocks)at the first of June and they hit spinners but have never tried live bait there. Last year we didn't do well... Do you think your live bait setups would outperform the spinners?

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Spent my summers on Rainy Lake and it is a great Smallmouth water my favs are,
1. Jighead and grub combo both single and double tail, pearl, chartreuse, yellow or purple, Powergrubs work well, better than Gulp in my experience
2. Old Rapala Fat Rap in Crawdad or gold with black back, hard to find now so a Craw colored Wiggle Wart works well
3. An inline spinner in 3/8 to 1/2 ounce with a single hook and twister tail gold color is my first choice
4. Spinnerbaits with single or double willowleaf blades, I like to fish smallies fast and the other blades rise up to quick, I have the best luck with gold blades and a chartreuse and white skirt
5 when I have to fish slow cause of conditions I will use a hulagrub in watermelon/pumpkin pepper color on enough jig weight to feel bottom these work for me pretty much where I fish Smallies, there are times a modified Carolina rig or dropshot will work better than the 5 methods I described but more so on very clear water

Last edited by Dakotakid; 04/19/10.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.