Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
This is my 1st bow and retiring my smoke pole after 40 years of hunting. I am trying to decide on type of rest. I bought a new Bear Attack bow 50-60#, 26.5" draw, 7.5" S-Coil stabilizer, Black Gold Flashpoint Red Zone sight, shooting Easton FMJ arrows 100 gr tips. Right now I have a whisker biscuit but last year one of my hunting partners had a problem with his and another with his drop away. Both broke either from age or cold weather they said.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had a problem with the WB nor do I know anyone that has. Some Lady also shot the new world record musk ox with one at something like 35 below zero. I'm always interested in improving my equipment, but I have never seen a reason to change from the WB

What problem did you see with one?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO there is no better HUNTING rest than a WB.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have used both- there isn't anything better, especially for hunting, than the WB, IMO.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WB does it for me.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have and use both. Both are very effective.

My personal take is that the drop away is more forgiving of shooting form errors. The WB more forgiving of fumbling and nervousness - it retains the arrow better.

The WB is an outstanding rest for those that hunt from blinds or tree stands. It's probably the best rest out there for teaching newbies to shoot.
It can be used at longer ranges very well, I've done it - but you need to have good form - no herky jerky stuff until the arrow is compleatly out of your bows control.

The drop away is probably better for most shooters that need to shoot longer distances. It releases control of the arrow much sooner - thus the shooter can't influence it's course by dropping his bow arm, or a ton of other quirky things.

Just my $.02

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have to go against the grain and vote for the drop away. They are forgiving and you do not have to worry about fletching hitting the rest at all. I have shot drop aways for years, and I shoot a lot, no issues. I do know quite a few guys that shoot WB's and love them, they are just not for me. Basically, it is personal preference. They will both be fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to da fire....Keep the WB and go kill stuff.

F
OP Offline
F
I believe the frame broke when he hit it on a metal hook hanger and the center biscuit moved or fell out, which threw his shot off. Apparently he had one of the original WB that were made of some kind of compound plastic. I know now they are made of a composite metal or aluminum which mine is. He rigged it with a sewing kit somehow, but his grouping was still 7" at 15 yds, and shot to the right. Luckily thats all he needed to fill his cow tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not savvy to every drop away made so I am no authority on this, just an opinion. However if you do something the break or otherwise screw up a WB then I cannot imagine any other rest surviving either. From my experience most drop aways with the associated cables, bungies, or levers are far more susceptible to field damage then a nearly bullet proof simple design of the WB

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

L
lcw Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've got an old Matthews Ultramax that I bought back in '99. Since I've had the bow I never could get it to shoot broadheads and field points to the same point of aim. I bought a whisker biscuit rest a few years ago and I like it alot, but couldn't get it tuned to shoot broadheads and field points to the same point of aim. I tried several bow shops and got the same story from all that my bow couldn't be tuned to shoot both to the same point b/c it was shooting to fast. Last year, I bought a QAD drop away rest and all of sudden my field points and broadheads are hitting the same spot. I like the WB best(appears to be bulletproof), but it's nice to be able to hit the same spot with field points and broadheads using the drop away rest. One of these days when I buy a newer bow, I'll give the WB another try.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If people have hunted with both I'm hoping they'll add to the pro / con list. I've hunted with both.

WB - Pro - reliability it works, and darn near impossible to drop an arrow with it.

Con's - due to it being in contact with the arrow it can throw off your accuracy do to the fletchings makign contact. I can chew up feathers but they work better than plastic fletching.

Drop away - Pro, available & work to hold the arrow just like a WB, but just a bit more complicated. Since the arrow doesn't touch anything wil it's working so it's more accurate.

Con - some people don't like'em.

CON -

F
OP Offline
F
The bungie on my other partners bow broke but he brought a backup bow with him. He just had to hike the 2 mile (11,500ft-9000ft elevation), trip back to base camp and get it. I think an errant broadhead was the culprit there.

I think I will keep the WB. Thanks all!!! I can't wait for Archery season. Spring turkey just opened but I drew a ranching for wildlife tag for the Purgatoire Ranch in Southeastern Colorado the beginning of may. I don't know if my aim will be good enough by then so I am taking my Benelli with me.

Last edited by FishnWishn; 04/11/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just put the WB onto my new bow and coming from a drop away rest, I love the WB. No issues at all shooting it and accuracy is excellent. I think its great to for the spot and stalk hunting that we do for mule deer...no worries about the arrow moving and noise.

Rob
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
wb works very well for me . very happy with them so far.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Most people vote for what they have but I have a QAD Ultra (spent a lot of $$) and if I were setting my bow up again today, I'd go with a WB......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a very astute observation. Most folks promote what they have. Most have been guilty of this at one time or another!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
i would say that the wb is what you should start with. if you like it after a while then stick with it.if you would like to change down the road to gain a little speed , thne it could be consideration. i have a close persoal friend that had noise problems from a wb.alun. arrows squeeking while drawing back.he waxed them but still a little noise.fmj are alum. outside just keep it in mind.one way to quite them is to rub a finger along side your nose and the rub arrow this oil from your skin should keep you out in the stand and quite. good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The older WB's had a very thin plastic collar that held the bristles. The new ones could be run over with a truck. They have come a long way from the original. I have used the WB in the nastiest 0 degree snow and sleet storms, shot them when they were frozen and full of snow with no problems. They shot great, unless I had a lot of ice on my arrow ;o) I have used several fall away rests in the hunting fields and found them to be very unreliable in snow, ice and sandy conditions. Oh, and the cords and bungi cords snagged on EVERYTHING. Give me the WB any day. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Most people vote for what they have but I have a QAD Ultra (spent a lot of $$) and if I were setting my bow up again today, I'd go with a WB......

I've had a QAD Ultra on my bow for the last year. On the overall, it works fine. Because I have to use the taller fork with my F.O.B.'s, I can't use arrows with Blazer vanes as they will hit the top cross/containment bar. And, if I twist the nock so that it is cock vane down, I still get clearance issues. No big deal, I just don't use Blazers with it.

But, I had new strings installed last week, and I had a new in box WB (the new model) that I had taken on a trade for some other parts.

For grins, I put the WB on the bow over the weekend just to try it. So far, its okay. I'll play around with it and time will tell if it stays on the bow or if I go back to the QAD.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (02bfishn, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,471
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.