Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
We're going to make our garden a little larger this year and put in another at the FIL's old farm across the river. I have an older but nice Troy-Bilt Kohler-powered rear tine that cuts 22". It certainly is less work than any front-tine model, but I'm thinking about picking up a used 16-20 horse hydrostat garden tractor with a 36" rear-mounted PTO-driven tiller.
I've never used a tractor-driven one before, but my bad back is only going to get worse, and to top things off, I was just diagnosed with emphysema frown .
Do these tractor mounted tillers work well? Please chime in if you have any experience with them. I'd like to continue to have a garden in the future, but would like to make it easy on myself given the health problems.
Jim

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cant help you with the tiller question. The only ones I've used are a 17" troy-bilt and big ones that go on 50+ hp tractors.

Sorry to hear about the health problem.

Prayers sent your way.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad's neighbor has one with a tractor and tiller in about the same size range as yours. It works very well keeping a couple of good sized garden plots tilled up. Both plots have been in use for several years, and were already plowed up before the tiller was used.

You can use the tiller to break new ground, but it takes time and patience. Especially if you have hard clay soil like we have around here. Just don't try to take too big of a bite at a time.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been using the same 10hp Simplicity tractor w/tiller for 30 years (Rebuilt twice).
Works super, the only bad part is if you have to manually lift the tiller (large lever on side of tractor). It could be tough on a bad back, you'll be doing a lot of pulling that lever to rotor-till a regular size vegetable garden.
Other than that, it's a heck of a lot nicer than being shook to death with a walk behind. Ours still does a super job.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by levrluvr
We're going to make our garden a little larger this year and put in another at the FIL's old farm across the river. I have an older but nice Troy-Bilt Kohler-powered rear tine that cuts 22". It certainly is less work than any front-tine model, but I'm thinking about picking up a used 16-20 horse hydrostat garden tractor with a 36" rear-mounted PTO-driven tiller.
I've never used a tractor-driven one before, but my bad back is only going to get worse, and to top things off, I was just diagnosed with emphysema frown .
Do these tractor mounted tillers work well? Please chime in if you have any experience with them. I'd like to continue to have a garden in the future, but would like to make it easy on myself given the health problems.
Jim
I love mine.. It's a bit bigger (60")..

[Linked Image]

When I'm using this, the soil out the back looks like sugar.. But it will also depend on how fast you set your forward speed...I'm running quite slowly.. This tractor has 3 ranges. I'm in low range and usually 2nd gear.. That translates to about a .25 mile/hour..

I have a normal, walk-behind rear-tine tiller also, but use it only for inter-row weed control...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
thanks for the input- I've found an older Allis Chalmers hydrostat with an 18hp Briggs that runs a Simplicity 36" tiller off a PTO; guy wants $700 for it (with a 48" three-blade mower deck thrown in). Seems to be built like bridge iron and everything is AOK mechanically.
Just looking for a little easier way to have a decent garden in the future with a little less exertion.
Redneck- love that Deere setup!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sounds like quite a bargain.. Just take the time to check all the bearings on the deck and on the tiller.. Also check the teeth to ensure they're not all bent up.. Replacing those can cost a mint..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by levrluvr
thanks for the input- I've found an older Allis Chalmers hydrostat with an 18hp Briggs that runs a Simplicity 36" tiller off a PTO; guy wants $700 for it (with a 48" three-blade mower deck thrown in). Seems to be built like bridge iron and everything is AOK mechanically.
Just looking for a little easier way to have a decent garden in the future with a little less exertion.
Redneck- love that Deere setup!

Sounds like a good deal. Around you could pay that much for a decent used tiller all by itself.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

364 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,655
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.