-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not able to cast the chamber, are you? Very interesting....

I had a Ruger Hawkeye in .308, and while it would chamber a round, it was HARD to close the bolt the last 30* or so. Didn't shoot worth a darn, so I sent it down the road.

GB1

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by splattermatic
keep it as a collectable.

That's actually not a funny comment either. If it's truly a Ruger 'stuff-up' you'd be CRAZY to send it back. I'd be buying the remainder at the gunshop.

But ... we had a recall in Australia due to mounting screws on the sights being too deep ... this avoids that issue neatly. grin
Cheers...
Con

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/837108194/m/2301059821

Here is a link to what is going on Ruger,s early runs of LH RCM has 22" barrels without sights, apparently Ruger will put sights on it for free.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Here is a link to what is going on Ruger,s early runs of LH RCM has 22" barrels without sights, apparently Ruger will put sights on it for free.

They would have to make the barrel 20" too if it were me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's where I saw it...knew I had somewhere...

Suppose I could send my RH .338 RCM and get a 22" barrel swapped in laugh? They'd have to put the sights on it, of course...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Factory foulups aren't uncommon, a buddy had a Smith-marked M57 in .44 Magnum, and I had a Smith M48 with Long Rifle-marked barrel AND cylinder, and Smith's not the only ones doing foulups, just the most common ones.

Another friend of mine bought a Combat Commander once, it wouldn't feed for [bleep], till he got out the calipers and started measuring stuff. He had a .38 Super slide, though it WAS marked .45 ACP and the barrel, etc, were all .45, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Con
Originally Posted by splattermatic
keep it as a collectable.

That's actually not a funny comment either. If it's truly a Ruger 'stuff-up' you'd be CRAZY to send it back. I'd be buying the remainder at the gunshop.

But ... we had a recall in Australia due to mounting screws on the sights being too deep ... this avoids that issue neatly. grin
Cheers...
Con

Yeah, seriously, you've got an instant collectible there.
If you can afford to pay for another RCM now, in a few months with some research and documentation you could likely double your money on this one.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by kk alaska

i ve heard about that.

a good collector ...
... hopefully it wasnt mine ... just to imagine sending back to USA ... will not get it before a long time ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
More on this: Bolt face for sure is magnum. The chamber is not .308 size, so its not a .338 Federal, yet a factory round will only go in about 3/4" and I am not going to force it. Chamber is clean. Something amiss for sure and we are packaging it up tomorrow and it is going back to the distributer and they can send it back to Ruger.

Will get photos in the morning.

We will start over again, still want one.

Lefty C

Checked it for .300 RCM? Thought occured to me last night, just before I went to sleep.

That would make sense, in an error sort of way...

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Just got my new.338 RCM last nite. Getting ready to mount the the scope and notice no iron sights? 22" barrel. Checked the order number and correct for the 20 barrel with sights. Box even has a picture on it with sights.??? Called Ruger customer service and they said that was not possible the RCM always has a 20"barrel? Gave them the serial number and they said they would get back to me.

Any of you writers have a clue what is going on?

Debating weather or not to keep it or send it back. It's a nice rifle but I was really looking for a compact rifle with B/U sights.

Lefty C

You may have just bought a collectors rifle as they sure won't be too many others. Leave it in the box until you retire then cash in.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Ok guys here are some photos, albiet not very good ones:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You can see the box designating RCM, the rifle with 22"BBL and no sights. The picture of action with the bolt and the back of a round protuding show how far a factory round will go in without binding. Pushed a bit hard and it stuck in there to the point I used a rubber mallet to tap the bolt handle to get it out. Tried two rounds. Last picture is the bolt with a .338 round. If you look closer you can see marks where it rubbed/binded on the shoulder. I cannot see any scratches in the chamber. I know the photo's suck!

We called the distributer this am and spoke with the manager he said since paperwork has been filed it is now technically a used gun and they would not take it back as it is a warrenty issue between you and Ruger..Thank you and have a good day!
See what Ruger has to say on Monday. Sorta loosing my enthusiasm for this whole deal.

Lefty C

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ruger will treat you right IMHO What height rings did they send? I like to exchange them for lows based on scope preference.

My LH Ruger Hawkeye in 7-08 had a lot of QC issues looked like it was rushed to get out there. Stock bedding was awful, and took a lot of tinkering to get it to shoot well. My LH Ruger Hawkeye SS Laminate 375 was perfect. And shoots great.

kk alaska

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Rings look like lows which is good, and they have torx screws which is even better.

Lefty C

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Did Rifle come from Buds Gun Shop?
They showed a pic of 22" LH 338 RCM I e mailed Buds and here is there response to my question. Around the 1st of 2010.

Here is Buds Reply to the 22" Pictured Rifle Ruger LH 338 RCM Blue Wood

(the gun should have a 20" barrel and iron sights. I am sorry for the picture and description.
Budsgunshop.com, LLC.)

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Lefties_Ruger_Compact_Magnu#Post3706101

Last edited by kk alaska; 04/17/10.

kk alaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder how collectable the rifle might be? Some of the early factory one-offs and such are worth some serious coin. But on the other hand you probably bought the rifle to use not to collect and not chambering a round truly SUCKS.

I think the distributer should be ashamed of themselves. They sold mislabeled defective merchandise and should have the character to make it right. I think their excuse about papers being filed is BS. An honorable company would help you make it right.

Good luck!...............DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LC, I agree completely. They sold the wrong piece, not what you ordered, and it doesn't work. They owe you bigtime, and I would make sure they get it. Are they somehow under the impression that this is the only rifle you'll ever try to buy, so they don't have to think about ever having a chance again for you to be a customer?

Dumb...dumb...dumb!

Dennis

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Agreed, but I'm sure Ruger will make things right for you. If they don't, for some reason, PM me and I'll make a couple of phone calls. This sort of QC failure is not only embarrassing, but also potentially dangerous. I suspect they'll be all over it once they figure out the issue is real.

Dennis - What do you think the odds are that it's a misstamped 338 Fed barrel?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the parent case of the .338 RCM?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had some issues with my M77 338 Fed and Ruger did a nice job fixing it. I suspect they will be very willing to fix this. Wrong cartridge? They'll be all over that..that's bad ju ju.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 1234567
What is the parent case of the .338 RCM?

It's based on a shortened 375 Ruger case.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.