Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In our area it is tough to beat a small Northland Gypsi Jig tipped with a Power Grub or as tzone mentioned a Gulp bait. We have early open water this year and they worked very well for both crappies and bluegills this morning. The biggest problem was keeping the guides on the rods from freezing shut, then the line of the spool of the reel wanted to freeze as well. But we were fishing in a boat in open water when most years we would be just looking at a frozen lake wishing for open water.

GB2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Fun ain't it?

I'm taking the Alumacraft out this Saturday.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No doubt!!

Sure beats sitting home thinking about fishing. Those first spring crappies and bluegillls certainly do taste good deep fried with Roach coating on them.

Good luck with the first run of the year. I had no issues with mine. Everything worked and that is always good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anybody ever tried 2" tube jigs for stream trout???

Ingwe

No, but I've used six inch ones for lake trout! They are pan fish up here. smile

[Linked Image]

Ted

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ingwe has his best luck with Panther Martins, I do best fishing essentially the same way with Mepps. I catch fish on both, just more on the Mepps.
I do usually use a # 1 though. Carefully slice the little red tube on the hook and try fishing with and without it to see what works for you. Try the different colored blades.

The small Rapala can really produce too.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LousieB: You ever notice you have your best luck on what you have the most faith in??? Doesnt matter if its bass, trout, panfish, what have you..

My stream tackle box has about 16 or so lures in it...all Panther Martins, one Rainbow color,one holographic thing, one all gold, one silver with dotz, and 12 Gold ones!!!!

Guess which one I do best with...? whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Ingwe what is your Best of the Best Panther Martin

Last edited by LFD; 04/17/10.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
#4PMR-G....... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My favorite bait for bluegill and crappie is a small spinner, about an inch long with a feather tail. They smack'em hard!!!

Doesn't work well in the trees, but in open water over structure, it's a killer and a ton of fun too. Heck...I've even had bass and catfish hit it!

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
My favorite bait for bluegill and crappie is a small spinner, about an inch long with a feather tail. They smack'em hard!!!

Ok what brand and color
Thanks

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
lfd

I answered your pm. Sorry i haven't been back since posting this. For the rest, I don't really recall what brand. I bought three different colors from WalMart that were the same size. I thought they looked cute. If I recall, they were about 1.99 per spinner.

As an aside, this afternoon, just goofing around at the local city reservoir, I cought a small catfish and a 1.5 pound bass on one! I couldn't believe the catfish took it! They are real weird fish!

The bluegills were smacking it too.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with you, in moving water the Martin Panther has a better action than the Mepps and seams to hang up less. I only use two colors, black / gold or yellow / silver.

And swivels are for people who don't know how to tie knots. If you like the action a swivel gives, tie a bowline and leave an open loop. It's a better action without hanging a lot of hardware on the lure.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
pds: Exactamundo! Across the board....
I use the same colors, tie the knots, and off I go! grin

Havent found a fish yet that wont chase a PM...I carry about a dozen gold for every one silver...but once in awhile..when the light is just so.....

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gimme a foam slip cork, a long-shank #8 hook, split shot, and a cricket, all on an ultralight spinning rig. Kids love to watch that cork go under.

I took my 5yr old out to a pond recently and we caught big bream until we ran out of light. The most fun she had was tossing out the last 15-20 crickets, one at a time, next to the boat. Those big bluegill would rise up below, just like sharks, then WHAM!

Out on the lake, we often catch chinquapins (redears, shellcrackers) when after catfish. Most often it is a big chunk of nightcrawler on a #6 hook, fished near the bottom. We'll be trying out some redneck catfish jugs (swim noodle floats with PVC pipe) tomorrow while we try to jerk the lips off some bream and channel cats.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Black 1/16 and 1/32 oz Roadrunners.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I fish crappie and bream with an ultra-light, spooled with 4 lb test. I slow retrieve a #16-20 dark nymph with at least 6ft of 2 lb test attached to a clear float. Retrieve it so slow that the nymph stays deep. I'll pull 4-6" fish all day with spinners/tubes/etc., but when I use this set-up is when I hook the mega-slabs! Give it a try when you tire of the little ones or action is slow.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Best bait for bream is the Catalpa worm. A very distant second best is the larvae you can dig out of wasp nest.

But Catalpa worms are the best for bream, if you can keep the bass, catfish, and crappie from getting to them first.

L
LFD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
How about a leader line of Flora Carbon. I use a 6lb test with Grand Children. Use a flora Carbon leader because it is advertised as invisible, Use a 6 lb test leader. 2 lb test will it hold up ok. Do you frequently retie your leader?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pan-fish Assassins work great, in you can find them.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Tiny Panther Martin spinners.

Pure evil on panfish.

Can't tell you the last time I fished anything other than ultralight for anything.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.