Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
those are Don Boyd's pictures. i just posted them here for him.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that is one fine rifle there.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I think my future includes a new recoil pad on my girl. One of the reasons I'm so hesitant is I love the looks of the one on her now, which is a Pachmayr Old English 752B. However, I browsed Brownells and looks like that exact same model is now available in the Decelerator Rubber material (Model D752) for additional squishing power (?). To avoid my paranoia about putting my girl in public shipping, I'll try to find a local craftsman who can mount a new pad while cutting off stock material to equal 1/2" less LOP than now. Otherwise, will look into USPS Registered Mail with beaucoup insurance. Then get a PAST Recoil Shield to mate with the Decelerator Old English pad and think I'm in business.

Last edited by Don_Boyd; 04/19/10.

Model 70 Forever
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don: Nice rifle!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don,

I am over 70 yo and have a pacemaker in me. I don't shoot the .375's any longer! When I got them long ago being a cast bullet fan I made up some hunting loads for the .375's with a hollow point gas check bullet. With a moderate load they don't kick bad and have taken a few deer at modest ranges.

If you shoot a heavy kicker at the range slip on another pad. Its easier than having the rifle worked on and when hunting you may be wearing a heavier coat anyway. Hold the forend of the heavy kicker firmly with your forward hand and rest that wrist on the front bag. Sitting up straight and holding the rifle like that will reduce the chances of injury.

What with your vision problems and other concerns I suggest only moderate loads. Thats what I am doing.

[Linked Image]

The slip on pads are on the .358W's!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm an Old Phardt too and when shooting my 375s from the bench, I raise the bench so I can stand up to shoot....alowing me to roll with the punch....our club is currently getting new benches built and all with adjustable legs....1-2 will be adjustable for stand-up shooting.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Not sure if this will help. I too am physically impaired due to ill health and wanted to shoot my 375 H&H but the recoil was a hinderance. I tried a Knoxx recoil reducing stock and it has done wonders for me. It is made in several models to fit various firearms and my Remington 700 was easy to stock with very little work. I have a custom barrel and the stock still fit with just a slight bit of relief. I think this stock is available for the M70 and you can always put your wood stock back on when you want to show it off. The Knoxx stock uses a rubber overmolded stock and fits the recoil system into it. I feel it has reduced the felt recoil by at least half. Chris

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Vern, Elmer Keith wrote considerable about the "Stand-Up" Bench Rest stand. He was an outspoken proponent for it with Double Rifles (actually he was an outspoken proponent for most everything he liked). He had a name for it I can't recall right now. I probably have it somewhere here in my library but have do dig deeper to find it.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts, wishes, and advice.

Model 70 Forever
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Don_Boyd
Vern, Elmer Keith wrote considerable about the "Stand-Up" Bench Rest stand. He was an outspoken proponent for it with Double Rifles

I try to stack the sand bags pretty high at the bench so as to try to sit straight up when shooting my 375s. Hunkering down behind won't allow you body to flow back with the rifle during recoil.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I can recommend TWO solutions. I use BOTH. Cabela's sells a "shooter's friend" slip on recoil pad. It soft rubber. Buy it. Use it. And shoot lighter recoiling loads like 235 grain Barnes projectiles over 66 grains of R-15 instead of 300 grain pills at stout recoil.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dan,
A stand up bench rest is a good idea and they sure help..I notice that you already have a pretty nice recoil pad so a shield might help and a tad long stock is a help in recoil..The main problem is the pre 64 Win. stocks are actually poorly designed to take up recoil.. Also part of your problem is that you have not shot in some time apparantly and that always magnifies the problem, as it will take some time to get back into shooting but as your shoulder toughens up and you get used to it, it will come to pass..You can also load it down or have some ammo loaded down, as your apparantly not going to be shooting any dangerous game anytime soon.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thank you Ray, You're correct on all counts.

Model 70 Forever
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If I don't do this now I'll be "Dan" for the rest of my "Fire" experience. Actually my name is DON BOYD. Not important to anyone but my Mother and me. I just re-read my copy of Elmer Keith's book, Rifles for Large Game, Chap XV, Stock Design and Bedding. Can't thank of a more expert reviewer than Elmer. I certainly know there are many modern gun writers but heavy recoil has been around long enough to be pretty much solved. Again, so many thanks to you all.

Don Boyd

Model 70 Forever
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Ray, We all know that stock design effects felt recoil a lot. I notice you mentioned the Mod 70 stock being poorly designed to take up recoil. Do you think that comment applies to both the Low Comb and the later Monte Carlo stock styles? I've shot both and feel the MC style is much better in the recoil department. I got rid of all mine with a low comb. (Once had a low comb .300 H&H -- that was fun!)

Don Boyd

Model 70 Forever
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Don,
That would mostly depend on your build and facial contours..No one stock fits all..To me the low comb feels better than the Monte Carlo, to you the Monte Carlo is best..

The only way to know is try a stock, then you take the guess work out of it..

A Custom stock to your specs is always the best way to go but also the most expensive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I properly pulled the trigger o 50,000 rounds of small bore stuff before I went back to any of my .375H&H's. As soon as I pulled the trigger I realized I was holding the rifle (375H&H) To soft, I was holding it like I was shooting a small bore, this after shooting more than 1500 rounds through a .375&H. Don't make that mistake like I did for years now I have called the M70 pre-64 .375H&H "the gentle giant" Kills at both ends. Don't make the same mistake I did. Its easy to forget when you get in a different habit, body language is mental as well as physical.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
OK Folks, I got the large 1/2" PAST pad from Midway, took it and a light German shooting vest to a local Auto Upholstery Shop. Had them position it right for my .375's recoil pad and cut and sew the PAST into the vest. Be taking some factory loads and the old girl to the range tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how I like it. I still have the option of replacing the recoil pad on the M70 with a Decelerator Model.

Don Boyd

Last edited by Don_Boyd; 04/29/10.

Model 70 Forever
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Decelerator pad on several of my McMillan stocked rifles. I sure as heck can't tell any difference form the regular Pack-mire pads.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don,

If none of the above mentioned suggestions help you, I'll offer just one more.

Sell it to me grin

Good luck with such a classic rifle!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.