24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No problem Cub, but lots of guys on this site infer that you have to have a McMillan or other top quality stock to have a quality rifle. With the accuracy guarantee of the A7, I just don't buy it. If you prefer the feel of a McMillan or other stock, that's fine, but the A7 would still come out cheaper than a Kimber if you added a McMillan to it and would be guaranteed to shoot well. But hey, if you would rather spend more money to have a Kimber and take that chance that it won't shoot that's your choice. I'd rather spend less money and keep the A7 the way it is or put another stock on it and have a guaranteed shooter.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 264guy
Frito,

To me it's just the opposite. I love the feel of the A7 stock. The rifle balances well and it just feels good to me. The Kimber stock on the other hand is the worst feeling stock I ever put to my shoulder. It just doesn't fit. The only Kimber I ever owned I sold without ever shooting it because it felt so crappy to me and I knew I could never love it. I bought it from someone off the fire used and so I didn't have a chance to feel it before I bought it. I showed it to my brother and he shouldered it and said "oh, that feels like chit".

and the Kimber stock fits me perfect and is of better quality than the A7.....all i find says the rifle averages 6.5 pounds empty no scope(BTW unless im blind Beretta is the only rifle manufacturer ive seen that doesnt list weight in the specs on their website, had to skim through 6 reviews of the rifle to find the weight)....my Kimber with steel mounts, a 6x36 Leupold, 4 260 rounds in the mag and a sling comes in at 6 pounds 14 ounces.....the A7 may be a nice gun but its still not a fly weight, empty it weights only 7 ounces less than mine ready to hunt.....

if the Sako fits you better and you like it better by all means buy it, use it, hunt with it but it still isnt in the same class as the Kimber.....only two other rifles in the Kimber class that i can think of, the Remmy Ti after you put an McMillian Edge one it and a NULA......for the money the Kimber is a hell of a deal....if you want fly weight AND great accuracy you fork over the cash and get a NULA....

my Kimber puts the first mag worth of hunting rounds where i need it to go, weights less than anything else ive hunted with and the gun fits me perfect and balances nicely in my arms when thin barreled Remington 7's and Ruger Compacts dont...

hunt with what you like but trying to defend the A7 against the Kimber when your comparing an injection molded plastic stock to one that is Kevlar and carbon fiber and starts off a pound lighter than the other.....they are different animals.....if yah like one over the other, buy it and hunt with it but your not comparing apples to apples....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think you could go wrong with a Montana or A7 with edge McMillan. Look at both and go with whatever turns you on. Go out and kill chit, easy enough.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have to get a 6 x 36. The diavari 3x9 on my gun must weight 6 ounces more than one of those things. I want the one with dotz in it if I can find it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i really like the 6x36......first non variable i have ever used.....no worrying that i have it set on 9 instead of 3 or 4 for a close up snap shot....6x isnt enough power to make the close up snap shots difficult.....i want to buy a couple more....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the Kimber Montana is one of the great bargains going.

I like the A7 and the T3 - own and use both, but the Montana is a different animal.

There's a bit more to the stock discussion, IME. The Montana stock not only has a better feel than tupperware, it is also much stronger - if I'm on a lifetime hunt in a rough area, I'm a lot more confident a Montana or a McMillan clad 700, etc. is going to survive whatever comes - if I fall with one, give me quality every time.

Moreover, the Kimber stock tames recoil like nothing I've used. My Montana 300 WSM is significantly lighter than my T3 270 Win, but does not seem to recoil any more - even with the limbsaver I put on the T3. My 7-08 literally feels like I'm shooting a 243 - all in packages so light that they should really stomp you.

The Kimber is devoid of plastic, has the 3 position Model 70 style safety, has the best trigger I've found on any factory rifle, and all of mine shoot sub MOA with multiple loads. They are beautifully balanced and handle like a dream - especially the 84M's.

If they need some attention, usually bedding solves any problems - hardly unique or difficult in most cases - and QC seems to have improved - one doesn't hear many stories about bad shooting newer Montanas.

They are fantastic rifles - especially if a guy can pick them up for $700-800 used like I did on two of mine - proven shooters with low round counts off the 'Fire, of course.

There are not many ways to get as light as a Montana, if one is truly seeking a lightweight rifle - and getting there is very expensive.

Even at full price, I think they are an excellent value.

DJ

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My 260 Montana is way nicer to shoot than my nine pound Mod70 Classic 270 in a HS Precision stock. 129gn SST at nearly 3000fps in the 260, not much more for a 130gn SST in the 270, but the 6lb 2oz scoped Kimber has less felt recoil to me, especiialy shooting prone.

Due to the feel of the Kimber and less heft for my rotten knees, guess which one is going to go hunting with me!
Cheers, Chris

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.