Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am thinking of using a Select Match Shilen or Krieger for my new build. Everyone seems to look at Shilen as a lesser barrel and I've noticed they seem to bring less money when the gun is sold. Why is that so? I noticed that the select match Shilen has tighter tolerances than the Krieger ( can't find specs on any other barrel makers). I know they are rifled different so that may be compareing apples to oranges. What is all the dislike about Shilen about?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cut rifled vs button pulled bias? I am partial to kreigers but there is nothing at all wrong with shilen barrels. I doubt there is a shooter alive that can tell the difference between a good shilen and a good kreiger.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have no dislikes for Shilen. My brother has gotten three different barrels for his Savage target action. The .223 barrel will consistently shoot 1 inch 300 yard groups with 80g Bergers. His 6mmbr barrel with shoot 107g SMKs with RL 15 0.5MOA out to 600 yards routinely. He just purchased a 284 Shehane barrel that he hasnt shot enough yet to give opinion. All the ones that he has purchased were the select match barrels.

I had a select match Shilen barrel put on my Montana 1999 action in 284 Shehane. Here is a picture of my first 6 shots from the barrel.

[Linked Image]

The top shot was the first out of the barrel, the next 5 were all touching. I think I may have gotten a good one, but only time will tell.

I like them.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have no bad thoughts when it comes to Shilen barrels.
I know no one else who dislikes Shilen barrels.
Lots of GREAT benchrest shooters use Shilen barrels.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Everybody?

That sounds paranoid.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have them in my MGM Encore barrels.They are great.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure don't, the ones I've been around have been super and would go that route again.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have one of their CrMo barrels on my 6.5-'06 and it shoots under half-minute (3 shots at 100 yards). It cleans easily and doesn't do weird things on the occasion I heat it up at the range.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did you pay extra to get the CrMo barrel lapped?

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HunterJim
I have one of their CrMo barrels on my 6.5-'06 and it shoots under half-minute (3 shots at 100 yards). It cleans easily and doesn't do weird things on the occasion I heat it up at the range.

jim

Yeah I've got one on a 6.5-06AI that's .5". And It's a "match" not a "Select match". Without the action trued.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Still a number of Shilen barrels in the Bench Rest winners circles.

With the Bench rest crowd there is a lot of the follow the leader syndrome so barrels will come and go in popularity until a top competitor wins with one and everybody gets back on the bandwagon.

This mentality has a trickle down effect to other shooters.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I only have/use one. Stainless select, 1/14 twist, chambered in 35 Whelen. It flat out SHOOTS and cleans up easy. I've put nothing but factory ammo through it so far, but it does this every time....and I make no claim at being an outstanding shot. My experience with Shilen is limited, but it's been a great experience so far....

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love my Shilens! Got 'em on two Carolina Precision rifles and both shoot like a house afire. My 7/08 and 300 RUM will consistently shoot two tenths groups at a hundred all day long. Great barrels.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
3 of the worse shooting rigs with aftermarket barrels wore a Shilen.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I know guys that swear by Shilens.
And a few who swear at them.

The one Shillen I have owned own was a Sako Vixen with a No 2 weigh Shilen Stainless "Match" in .223 in 1-9" twist was the most "average" shooting custom rifle I have ever owned.

It was meticulously bedded in a nice Garret Accurlite stock and shot no better than every Mini Mark X .223 I have owned with the factory tubes.

To be fair, "a sample of one" is no proof of anything AND the gunsmtih may take part of the blame as well.. the fact remians, there sure was nothing special about the high dollar Shilen on my SAKO.

I do know that base on what I have actually from other folks rifles seen many Shilen Sporter barrels shoot no better than a Douglas etc would in the same barrel contour or chamberings and usually cost 1/3 more.

I do know Kenny Jarret quit using Shilens early on in his career because he simply got too many dud barrels out of them. And yet, shops Like Jimmy Clark etc still use them..

Last edited by jim62; 04/19/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My AR smith won NUMEROUS titles with Shilen barrels. Still does IIRC. Including more than one Civilian National Champion title. I have one, its a USED one, on a 6mm WOA(6.8 necked down) and it still shoots around half moa or just over.

The only fly on them is they are buttoned and have shorter barrel life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There are acouple Shilens in the safe and they seem fine to me. Whenever I clean (not very often) them they clean up quick.

My local gunsmith wears them on his 6PPC; he recommends them and runs them in BR comps, so I don't argue.

My pard and I shot a lot of steel yesterday. After a hundred or so rounds through one Shilen tube offhand and prone, I plunked on the bench and fired this six shot (okay, I phugged up the one)!
[Linked Image]

The holes on the right are from a 17 FB Remmy after the daily abuse and some heat.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by summitsitter
I am thinking of using a Select Match Shilen or Krieger for my new build. Everyone seems to look at Shilen as a lesser barrel and I've noticed they seem to bring less money when the gun is sold. Why is that so? I noticed that the select match Shilen has tighter tolerances than the Krieger ( can't find specs on any other barrel makers). I know they are rifled different so that may be compareing apples to oranges. What is all the dislike about Shilen about?

The Shilen select match barrel's I have used over the last couple of decades have been as good or better than any, some bad rap has come because they sell lower line barrel's too but I have used a couple with great success. all but 2 of the bad custom barrel's that I have ever owned were Pac-Nor 3groove barrel's but you cant mention that on this site because the HONK's on the fire believe Pac-Nor as being GOD like, you mentioned Krieger just buy one of their's never had a bad one.
RC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had one bad PN 3 groove, but I still shoot em because they do what no other maker can in my one situation. When they are good, they are good.

Oh yeah... had a lemon Krieger once too.... still use those....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,722 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.