Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I intend putting my seven to work around April/ May this year on a hunt down south in the State of Victoria chasing Sambar Deer. These animals are roughly the size of an Elk, but I'm mainly after some venison so I'll go after the younger ones. The load I'm looking at is 50gn H4350, a 140gn Woodleigh Protected Point, CCI primer and Norma brass. The Woodleigh is well constructed bullet that should handle the job well. In any case they're made in Australia, and I want to support local business. It should be getting a bit cold down there by then,

HR IC

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Rockchucker83
I’ve been running 48 grains of H4350 behind a 154 grain SST for quite a few years. Out of my Ruger M77 it puts them in the same hole at 100 yards off the bags when I do my part @ 2700+ish FPS. Before the SST I used the 154 gr Spire Point and I even have a few hundred of the old 154 grain Hornady round nose bullets and those 2 shot just as well as the SST, I just like the SST better on deer. I have only had bang flops with this load. That’s a pretty hot load, I’ve taken it as high as 50 grains (worked up slow) but didn’t see any real advantages on the paper or chrony. anyone who reads this please work up accordingly (assuming you have a modern action, if not consult your reloading manual).

I have the same load for 154gn SST's in my seven. I reckon it would be a great load for Elk. I'm using Norma brass.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by GreggH
Any suggestions for loads using 175 gr RN at original 7x57 velocities?
Just bought some Hawk bullets and want to try them at that level.
Thanks
GreggH

Heck yeah, 45gr H or IMR 4350, same powders I've used before and since in 7x57 loads with 175gr Hornady round nosed bullets, just found a bag I put up in new Norma brass over 25 years ago, slip of paper read 2407 fps. cool

Gunner,

This is an older post from last year, so don't know if you'll see this, but...

got this from an older Hornady Manual. for the 175 RN if you want more ooomph and velocity, and unbelievable accuracy, especially out of an old 7 x 57 that has a real generous chamber... the magical load is 40 grains of 3031..... MV thru my chronograph with both a Ruger 77 Mk 2 and a Model 70 Featherweight with that load, 2650 fps.

My Ruger was horrible with anything, like 5 inch groups at 100 yds were the best it would do... was going to pull the barrel and turn it into a 6mm Remington.
Saw that load in the manual, thought I hadn't used that, so I'd give it a try.. I was astounded, as It gave a smaller than half inch group. Reloaded some more ammo, and tried it at the range, and paying a little more attention, I got a smaller group. Was blown away when I chronographed it....

With all bullet weights, that charge of 40 grains of 3031, made that rifle think it was a varmint rifle.... anything else, and I tried a lot of powders, the groups rivaled a Stevie Wonder with a sling shot....

I've had others PM me and tell me that load worked wonders in their 7 Mausers also...

Just passing it on... hope this finds you well my friend....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was loading for my cousin a few days ago and was using 140 rem core lok bullets. Best I could get was about a 10" pattern. Tried 4 different powders, 2 different primers and no change. So I started again where I began which was cci200, 50gr H4350 and this time used 140gr nosler bt
ended up with a 3/4" group and was repeated. The rifle sure didn't like the remington bullet.
Rifle is a Win70fwt

Last edited by DANNYL; 09/19/21.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by GreggH
Any suggestions for loads using 175 gr RN at original 7x57 velocities?
Just bought some Hawk bullets and want to try them at that level.
Thanks
GreggH

Heck yeah, 45gr H or IMR 4350, same powders I've used before and since in 7x57 loads with 175gr Hornady round nosed bullets, just found a bag I put up in new Norma brass over 25 years ago, slip of paper read 2407 fps. cool

Gunner,

This is an older post from last year, so don't know if you'll see this, but...

got this from an older Hornady Manual. for the 175 RN if you want more ooomph and velocity, and unbelievable accuracy, especially out of an old 7 x 57 that has a real generous chamber... the magical load is 40 grains of 3031..... MV thru my chronograph with both a Ruger 77 Mk 2 and a Model 70 Featherweight with that load, 2650 fps.

My Ruger was horrible with anything, like 5 inch groups at 100 yds were the best it would do... was going to pull the barrel and turn it into a 6mm Remington.
Saw that load in the manual, thought I hadn't used that, so I'd give it a try.. I was astounded, as It gave a smaller than half inch group. Reloaded some more ammo, and tried it at the range, and paying a little more attention, I got a smaller group. Was blown away when I chronographed it....

With all bullet weights, that charge of 40 grains of 3031, made that rifle think it was a varmint rifle.... anything else, and I tried a lot of powders, the groups rivaled a Stevie Wonder with a sling shot....

I've had others PM me and tell me that load worked wonders in their 7 Mausers also...

Just passing it on... hope this finds you well my friend....

LOL, i did miss this post old Buddy, these loads were put up long ago from my 'Smith wagging his finger at me cautioning against loading an old Mauser rifle he just checked out for me with max loads, i'm my custom '09 DWM Mauser, i load 48gr of either IMR or H-4350 under old style Speer Grand Slams and Partitions to 2700 fps, the rifle is a 60's ish custom build, it's medium heavy 24" barrel and Jaeger trigger are a pure pleasure to shoot and hunt with, the rifle weighs near 9.5lbs all up, it's old 3-9x42mm Leupold held firmly in Buehler rings and bases is turning purple, that is okay, it's one of the most accurate pure hunting rifles i've ever owned/shot.

Trump Won!
IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I was loading for my cousin a few days ago and was using 140 rem core lok bullets. Best I could get was about a 10" pattern. Tried 4 different powders, 2 different primers and no change. So I started again where I began which was cci200, 50gr H4350 and this time used 140gr nosler bt
ended up with a 3/4" group and was repeated. The rifle sure didn't like the remington bullet.

Your rifle isn't the only one. Years ago I bought a box of 500 Remington 150 grain .284" coreloks and tried to get them to shoot in 2 different 7x57's. 4 to 6" was about the best they would do and then a fellow by the handle of Seafire suggested I use 40 grains of IMR-3031. I gave it a try and the groups shrank to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". Don't know why but, it worked for me.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad I'm not alone Joe, I have 3031 but didn't think of trying it but maybe if I'd heard this earlier I probably would have for sure.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Gents:

Speer has posted updated load information, and two of the powders they're listing - with pretty velocities, I might add - are Alliant Power Pro 2000 and Power Pro 4000. Have any of you used them? PP 4000 seems to be a little more available right now than most of the other 7x57 go-to powders. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what the results have been.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ben shooting a couple of loads using 160gr NP and 175gr NP over a slightly compressed charge of H4831SC (?) that either Ingwe or Jorge posted a few years ago in either this forum or the Africa forum. I'd have dig out the load data before I'd stand by the powder being H4831SC.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Last year I found a Winchester FWT push feed 7x57, I think is out of the first batch that were built in the early 70's after the old plant was reopened under new ownership. I am looking for reliable close to max load info, for deer/hog kill shots out to 250+ yards using 140 gr's initially but also have several 100ct's box's of 150/154/160gr bullets, with enough 7mm bullet's all total to wait out the shortages we have now. Back then common Roberts ammo was almost only RP round nose bullets, but they were short ranged and only had average accuracy. Now days I keep seeing 7-08 data being touted but am uncomfortable at those pressures in this "Put it in My Will" keeper kind of a rifle.,,,common thinking at my age of 77.

Back then I was working for a large general merchandise wholesaler in Dallas as the local Sales Dallas Rep + north to the Oklahoma border & east to Louisiana & south to Waco, with other reps around the state . We had received the 1st delivery's of 5 shippers master carton's of 5 guns each, only in 5 calibers, as this same 7x57 rifle I have now. Back then I was able to get a 257roberts at our net cost when no one else wanted it. I almost shot the barrel out of it over the next 10+ years as it was the most accurate untuned rifle I'd ever shot at that time, FWIW back then 257 ammo was as scarce in Robert's as it is now....and why I finally got into reloading regularly to begin with.
Ron

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by sakoron
Last year I found a Winchester FWT push feed 7x57, I think is out of the first batch that were built in the early 70's after the old plant was reopened under new ownership. I am looking for reliable close to max load info, for deer/hog kill shots out to 250+ yards using 140 gr's initially but also have several 100ct's box's of 150/154/160gr bullets, with enough 7mm bullet's all total to wait out the shortages we have now. Back then common Roberts ammo was almost only RP round nose bullets, but they were short ranged and only had average accuracy. Now days I keep seeing 7-08 data being touted but am uncomfortable at those pressures in this "Put it in My Will" keeper kind of a rifle.,,,common thinking at my age of 77.

Back then I was working for a large general merchandise wholesaler in Dallas as the local Sales Dallas Rep + north to the Oklahoma border & east to Louisiana & south to Waco, with other reps around the state . We had received the 1st delivery's of 5 shippers master carton's of 5 guns each, only in 5 calibers, as this same 7x57 rifle I have now. Back then I was able to get a 257roberts at our net cost when no one else wanted it. I almost shot the barrel out of it over the next 10+ years as it was the most accurate untuned rifle I'd ever shot at that time, FWIW back then 257 ammo was as scarce in Robert's as it is now....and why I finally got into reloading regularly to begin with.
Ron

Two things: The Model 70 is perfectly capable of handling Weatherby magnum pressures, generally about the top end of commercial rounds. Also the 7x57 has a bit larger case than the 7-08 and hence the 7-08 data will produce less pressure than it would in its home case.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That sounds like a great alternative to the load books info, as they are all written for older 7x57's with pressure at safe levels I suspect. Thanks for the insight. This is gonna be fun for sure.
I also have a Tikka 6.5x55 that was bought to start to shoot again couple years ago after a botched shoulder surgery severely limited use of my right shoulder until recently . I assume I can use the same info from a 260 or 6.5CM, as illustrated by the John Barsness quote above. If so that will open that door too. Thanks again.
Ron

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Tag

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
140gr Nosler Partition, WW brass, CCI 200, 51gr of RL19, 2725 fps from a 22” barrel:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
thanks, im trying new loads in a new rifle

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Is that a 6x36 on that Featherweight?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have never chronographed a powder that out performed 760/H414 in this cartridge. Interesting that it is not mentioned yet. Hang on, I just did.

JW

I find those powders to be temperature sensitive.

Me too.
In the 80's I carried a Model 70 I bought new in 1981 and noticed the increased heat in the barrel with fewer shots while culling feral goats but it was around 100 degrees so didn't think much more about it because we were culling and no shots missed. In the 90's doing the same thing, I carried a John Rigby & Sons .275 Rigby with the same loads and never noticed the same issue with that rifle.

I'd forgotten about the whole thing until JB brought it up on here a few years back. I still use 760 in the 7x57 even today (a little less powder better aids accuracy in my current Super Grade) as the US is a cooler continent that Oz.

I get consistently higher velocities, meaning the potential of the case volume and under MOA accuracy. I like it and never cared an iota about the dirty barrel claims. 760 also works very well is an awful lot of cartridges so I always have it on hand.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
140gr Nosler Partition, WW brass, CCI 200, 51gr of RL19, 2725 fps from a 22” barrel:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I think Winchester hit a home run with this design. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for my bucks, the Featherweight is the most popular in my safe. Have a .30/06, 7x57 and 280 A!. All with decent wood.

More aptly termed a "Gentleman's Weapon" as H&H used to call them.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
AGW, I agree most heartily. I have the FWT in .257 Roberts and 7x57. Keeping my eyes open for a .280 Rem.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm having an older push feed Mod 70 FWT rebarreled with a Shilen #2 9" twist in 7x57. I have tried four different factory chambered rifles ( 7mm Mauser) 3 were FWTS and 1 was a Mod 700 Classic...all pitiful shooters. I finally rustled up a good looking FWT and will have it tricked out. I like longer barrels so will leave this one at 24". I "should" be able to get small groups out of this thing then! ha I like the heavier for caliber bullets, 150-160. I will try the 120 TTSX (as I have some) and see how it likes them. But, just wanted to remark on the Mod 70 FWTs handling. For me, its a great stalking rifle. Slim, trim not really heavy and points like a shotgun! I like the "more open wrist" of the FWT because of my big hands. My B-14 Hunter ( Mod 700 Clone) in 300WM is another great rifle. I believe its synthetic stock helps with recoil. To me its like shooting a 30-06. It also has a more open writs than a Mod 700. A rifle that fits you, that you love to handle on a walk in the woods...is pure joy! smile

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.