W
Rangr44
Could you send that picture to davidcolfyahoo.com
I'd like to resize it for a closer look. Thanks

NRA Benefactor - Patron - Endowment - Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a picture of the Williams Fp sight on my 92. I thought about a tang sight at first, but have one on a 94 Winchester and it gets in the way of my right hand when I'm carrying it. I went with the receiver sight instead even though it doesn't look traditional.
[Linked Image]

The higher front sight blade on the 92. It is made of nickel silver but I keep it black.

[Linked Image]

Harry
W
w8d4it Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Mathsr

Those are good pictures. Thanks. Did you have to drill and tap the receiver? What was done to the front sight?

NRA Benefactor - Patron - Endowment - Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I can't swear to it but I believe that the receiver did have to be drilled and tapped. The front sight blade was filed off the post so the post is flat. The post was then slotted and a blade fitted to the slot. The post with the blade inserted was then drilled for a pin and the blade then pinned in place. The blade is then filled down to the correct height, shaped and the face of it is grooved and blackened. I polished the head of the pin so that it would show up better in the picture. There is not much room for the blade to extend forward of the sight post because of the cheep aluminum magazine band but extending it some toward the rear keeps it from looking too tall. It takes about as long to do as it does to type it up.

Harry
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
None of the B92 rifles were factory tapped for peep sights.

Should be easy enough to do. Dennis Olson in MT drilled and tapped one for my about 15 years ago, and he told me the metal on the Brownings "cut like cheeze".

As to the "traditonal" look of aperture sights. They have been around since about 1900. They are plenty "traditional"- just not "old west" tradtional.

One thing about those Williams Fool proof sights with the click adjustments. DO NOT let the almuninum bodies of those sights fool you. The internal screws and ball detents are HARDENED STEEL. They have COIL springs in their detents and everything is covered from dust and moisture. They are a damn fine and practial peep sight for the money -overall more rugged than the current Lymans.

Last edited by jim62; 04/22/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Williams FP sight. I have had one on a Marlin 336 in 44mg since 1968 or 69 and it has held up to everything I have thrown at it. It is a solid, well built sight.

Harry
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yep, Hwe I was younger, I leaned toward the Lyman m66 sights due to the Lyman name and the fact they were around a bit longer than the Williams..

When in got a little odler and wiser, I took a Williams apart and actually compared it's guts to a Lyman. No comparision.

The Lyman m57/56 sights, with their cheap exposed leaf springs are built like a carnival prize compared to a Williams FP.

Actually ,there is nothing wrong with the Willaims 5D sights with their sliding, scre lock adjustments. Especally for a hunter who is going to sight it in and lock it down anyway.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did this turn out ?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Turnbull Restoration could likely help you out.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,992 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,481
Posts18,451,879
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.