Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Ingwe, that is by far the finest looking Brit .303 I've ever seen.

That is a sharp rifle. Well done. Don't know that I've ever seen one w/ a two piece stock.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by husqvarna
I would be more likely to hunt with mine if one of the major bullet companies would make a good 215gr. soft point RN in the correct diameter.
Woodleigh makes a 215 RN .312" @ ~75� each. Try the Hornady 220 RN .308" @~ 26� each. They work well in my .312" Mosin-Nagant.

Last edited by Junior1942; 04/19/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used a #4 in the past, but never got to pull the trigger on game with it. I recently picked up a sporterized P14 with a Redfield receiver sight on it that I might try, but not this year.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i shot my very first deer witha sporterized 303, then used it as my only hunting rifle for the next 10+ yrs. never lost a deer even though that rifle was not a MOA rifle. i would get anywhere from 2" to 3" groups at 100 yrds with the open sites and extreamly creepy trigger pull but don't tell the 15 or so deer i took with it that. my rifle would tend to have some vertical stringing of the groups especialy after the third shot, i understand that 2 piece stock was not helping in that department. it is a fine whitetail rifle and will serve you well when kept within it's and your capabilities. good luck.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jericho
A gunshop in my area has a Winchester M1895 in .303 British,
only the second one I have seen in that caliber. On the
SMLEs dont lose your magazine, the prices on them are
getting pretty high.

good heavens how much do they want for it? I'd love to own that.

A vintage N0. 5 Jungle carbine was my very first rifle. I took my second deer with it. A doe with a headshot at 75 yards. I still own two Enfields.....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A box of those Woddleighs would cost more than I paid for the rifle.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tzone
Ingwe, that is by far the finest looking Brit .303 I've ever seen.

Thanks Tom!!! grin

ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The late Finn Aagard wrote an article published by Wolfe on the Lee Enfield rifles and the .303 cartridge. It's worth the read if you want information on them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Junior1942
Originally Posted by husqvarna
I would be more likely to hunt with mine if one of the major bullet companies would make a good 215gr. soft point RN in the correct diameter.
Woodleigh makes a 215 RN .312" @ ~75� each. Try the Hornady 220 RN .308" @~ 26� each. They work well in my .312" Mosin-Nagant.

Yeah I've had good luck with .308 220 Partitions in these two.
Pete
[Linked Image]

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by rattler
some have more generous chambers than others.....had one that used to spit out brass that looked closer to a 308 than the nice tapered 303....my current one must be near right on as they are nearly the same coming out as going in....

they are nice dependable rifles but a tad heavy.....paid $70 for my current one and wouldnt sell it for 4 times that.....likely be one of the last rifles i would part with, but im a bit of an odd duck....

here is the No4Mk1* made by Savage here in the states for the Brits during WWII
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

my das 303 is identical to this one. it has killed roughly 45-50 deer. the 303 is a wonderful deer round. i hunted with a very nice sporterized one for a couple years and ended up selling it for 3 times what i payed for it. sure with i had it back,

though i did watch it sell on gunbroker for double what i sold it for.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good looking stuff !!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
I have an old enfield lying around ive decided to put to use. Anybody hunt with one? If so what bullet do you use? How does it compare to another more common cartridge ie 30-30 or .308?

It is more like a .308 in performance, that means just a tad behind the .30/06. That old 10 shot magazine was a ripper for culling. Had everything worng with it by today's standards, push fee action, no feed rails, just lips on the magazine, one size fits all bolt with bolt face exchanges to adjust headspace, but smooth, reliable and functional. Bet your life dependability.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Cut all the extra wood off, loose the foresight ears, the magazine cut off, the sling swivels, anything that isn't essential. Hacksaw off the charger bridge, throw the safety away.
Sharpen one edge of the magazine spring (in case you loose your knife) two spare rounds and a piece of candle in the butt trap for lighting fires...shoot her in for 200 yards and with ten in the mag and one up the spout and she's the best wilderness rifle ever made...

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a #4mk2 Irish Constabulary that was NIB until I got it. I paid 220 bucks for it, and it has a twi stage trigger of course, but stage two is 3 lbs and as crisp as glass. It weighs almost nine pounds loaded and I chuckle when I shoot it because it just plain shoots nice. I would as soon take a hacksaw to my left thumb as to alter that rifle. It is ugly as sin until you shoot it, then it gets very pretty.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW incase it has not been already mentioned. care must be taken when stacking the rimmed cartridges in the magazine. each time you place one in the magazine be sure that it's face is in front of the one underneath or it will not feed properly if not at all.
well at least mine was that way. sorry if this is a repeat and i didn't see it posted.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Paid $40 for my first one and got a full cannister of 400 cordite rounds tossed into the deal. They didn't last long.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Darn, can't believe I missed this thread. Look at my name in here. The Jungle Carbine is an Enfield Mk.5. I wouldn't use British .303 on game any bigger than a white tail or black bear, as the balistics aren't powerful enough to reliably take down an elk or grizzly.

Last edited by junglecarbine; 04/25/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JungleCarbine

I have eaten a lot of moose meat brought down with 303 BR. One year Dad shot a bull moose and the calf behind it went down as well. That was with 180 gr CIL sabre tip, a precursor to the ballistic tips. Two moose with one shot has me convinced. That was at about 100 yds. Too often we think we need a heavy hitting round, when what we really need is a well placed shot.

Hunt your 303 and enjoy the tar out of it.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by junglecarbine
Darn, can't believe I missed this thread. Look at my name in here. The Jungle Carbine is an Enfield Mk.5. I wouldn't use British .303 on game any bigger than a white tail or black bear, as the balistics aren't powerful enough to reliably take down an elk or grizzly.

I would drop the hammer on an elk with a .303 without a second thought as long as i was inside 200 yards.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I never said you couldn't take out an Elk or Grizzly with the round. Heck, this round has taken large African game. However, I wouldn't choose it to be my primary hunting rifle with larger game like Elk. The ballistics just aren't strong enough for a reliable kill and there are so many other more preferable rounds for such game. And I do plan on hunting the heck out of my rifle for black bear and white tail.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.