Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4025660 04/24/10
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I read an article in the last "Handloader" magazine that said Phil Sharpe died under mysterious circumstances , so what were the mysterious circumstances ??????

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Much of this is at best conjecture, and third-hand unnuendo.

Many people seem to think that the (financial) failure of his rifles caused his drinking to go beyond control, and that ultimately he took his own life. I hope not...he really knew what he was doing with both rifles and ammunition.

Fascinating work on the firearms themselves in DeHass' "Bolt Action Rifles."

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What rifles did Phil Sharpe make???

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He had a hand in the Schultz & Larsen rifles which came chambered in his 7mm Sharpe & Hart.

I've read that he was bitter about not having more say in the rifles development.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Phil Sharpe & Richard Hart developed the 7x61mm Sharpe & Hart.
The 7x61 S&H was a 7mm magnun cartridge that preceded the 7mm Rem Mag by about 10 years. When the 7 Rem Mag came out it made the 7 S&H obsolete.

Mike

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting topic. I have never been able to find out the when, where, and/or why Sharpe died.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Gettysburg Times, Wed, Jan 25th, 1961
PHILIP SHARPE, BALLISTICIAN, DIES SUDDENLY

Philip Burdette Sharpe, 57, internationally known ballistics expert and author, died at 3:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the Warner hospital where he had been admitted at noon after suffering a severe heart attack.
Mr. Sharpe lived along the Lower Tract Rd. in Liberty Twp., near Emmitsburg. He had suffered an earlier heart attack in 1957.
He was a veteran of World War II having served as a Captain in Army Ordnance, and since the war had lived near Emmitsburg where he imported custom made rifles from Denmark, did ballistics testing work and wrote technical works and fiction.
Active in Community
Before his initial heart attack he had been active in community affairs. He was a past commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars at Emmitsburg and a member of the Francis X. Elder American Legion Post there and of the Emmitsburg Lions Club.
He was also vice-president of the Outdoor Writers Association. Until recently he was a staff writer for the National Rifle Association in which he held a life membership. He was also a member of the Campfire Club of America. Most of his writing on been on ballistics and other technical subjects, but he also had done some fiction writing.
He conducted a business as an importer of rifles from Denmark, guns that had been designed to his specifications for cartridges developed by his own firm of Sharpe and Hart.
Burial at Arlington
Mr. Sharpe was born in Portland, Maine and was a son of the late Elias and Jennie (Clark) Sharpe. Surviving are his widow Marguerite Burby Sharpe, and two children, Phyllis and Philip Jr., both residing in Massachusetts. A brother also survives, Maurice, Cape Elizabeth, Me.
Mr. Sharpe was inducted December 22nd, 1942 and was discharged May 15, 1946, after having served as a captain in the ordnance department of the army. His overseas service was in the European theater where he was chief of the small arms unit in the enemy equipment intelligence service. After he returned to the states following the war, he bought a home near Emmittsburg and set up his business there.
Funeral services Friday morning at 10:30 o'clock at the Wilson Funeral Home in Emmitsburg with Rev. Philip Bower Emmitsburg Lutheran Pastor, officiating. Interment with military honors in the Arlington National Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home in Emmitsburg Thursday evening after 7 o'clock.
From the National Cemeteries burial locator:
SHARPE, PHILIP BURDETTE
CAPT 9392 TECH SVC UNIT ORD MAINT MDDIFT DET ABERDEEN PRO
DATE OF BIRTH: 05/16/1903
DATE OF DEATH: 01/24/1961
BURIED AT: SECTION 3 SITE 2417-C
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
C/O DIRECTOR ARLINGTON, VA 22211
(703) 607-8000

Slim
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 6mm250
The 7x61 S&H was a 7mm magnun cartridge that preceded the 7mm Rem Mag by about 10 years. When the 7 Rem Mag came out it made the 7 S&H obsolete.

Mike

Obsolete is the wrong word here. It is still useful, and it is still in use. It was out competed by Remington to be sure, but it was not outperformed, and it was not made obsolete.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yes , poor choice of word on my part , out competed that's better

Mike

Jerry Miculek
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by nsaqam
He had a hand in the Schultz & Larsen rifles which came chambered in his 7mm Sharpe & Hart.

I've read that he was bitter about not having more say in the rifles development.

Of Course.. DOOOHHH!!!

I knew that all along, but drew a blank reading this thread this morning.

Thanks for reminding me about the Sharpe and Hart cartridges..

I have noticed in my life that most wilcatters who design a cartridge and put their NAME on it seem to have rather large fragile egos..

Even if most of the design is borrowed from something or someone else.

Last edited by jim62; 04/24/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike

Obsolete is the wrong word here. It is still useful, and it is still in use. It was out competed by Remington to be sure, but it was not outperformed, and it was not made obsolete.

The way I remember it, the velocities claimed for the 7X61 S&H were much higher than it could achieve. It was claimed that the shape of the case had some sort of effect. Chronographs became widely available about 1960 and revealed the round's real performance. The 7MM Remington had a greater case capacity and higher velocity.

Last edited by IndyCA35; 04/25/10.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by william_iorg
The Gettysburg Times, Wed, Jan 25th, 1961
PHILIP SHARPE, BALLISTICIAN, DIES SUDDENLY

Philip Burdette Sharpe, 57, internationally known ballistics expert and author, died at 3:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at the Warner hospital where he had been admitted at noon after suffering a severe heart attack.
Mr. Sharpe lived along the Lower Tract Rd. in Liberty Twp., near Emmitsburg. He had suffered an earlier heart attack in 1957.
He was a veteran of World War II having served as a Captain in Army Ordnance, and since the war had lived near Emmitsburg where he imported custom made rifles from Denmark, did ballistics testing work and wrote technical works and fiction.
Active in Community
Before his initial heart attack he had been active in community affairs. He was a past commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars at Emmitsburg and a member of the Francis X. Elder American Legion Post there and of the Emmitsburg Lions Club.
He was also vice-president of the Outdoor Writers Association. Until recently he was a staff writer for the National Rifle Association in which he held a life membership. He was also a member of the Campfire Club of America. Most of his writing on been on ballistics and other technical subjects, but he also had done some fiction writing.
He conducted a business as an importer of rifles from Denmark, guns that had been designed to his specifications for cartridges developed by his own firm of Sharpe and Hart.
Burial at Arlington
Mr. Sharpe was born in Portland, Maine and was a son of the late Elias and Jennie (Clark) Sharpe. Surviving are his widow Marguerite Burby Sharpe, and two children, Phyllis and Philip Jr., both residing in Massachusetts. A brother also survives, Maurice, Cape Elizabeth, Me.
Mr. Sharpe was inducted December 22nd, 1942 and was discharged May 15, 1946, after having served as a captain in the ordnance department of the army. His overseas service was in the European theater where he was chief of the small arms unit in the enemy equipment intelligence service. After he returned to the states following the war, he bought a home near Emmittsburg and set up his business there.
Funeral services Friday morning at 10:30 o'clock at the Wilson Funeral Home in Emmitsburg with Rev. Philip Bower Emmitsburg Lutheran Pastor, officiating. Interment with military honors in the Arlington National Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home in Emmitsburg Thursday evening after 7 o'clock.
From the National Cemeteries burial locator:
SHARPE, PHILIP BURDETTE
CAPT 9392 TECH SVC UNIT ORD MAINT MDDIFT DET ABERDEEN PRO
DATE OF BIRTH: 05/16/1903
DATE OF DEATH: 01/24/1961
BURIED AT: SECTION 3 SITE 2417-C
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
C/O DIRECTOR ARLINGTON, VA 22211
(703) 607-8000

Thanks for the obituary. It answers a lot of questions.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hold him in high esteem as a ballistic authority and fire arm designer. I still refer to his writing and it is always informative.

If there were a hall of fame for this he would be in it with Mauser, Browning, Newton, Weatherby, Waters and others.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used his Books early on im my reloading. Also considered having a 7x61 S&H built in the mid 50's but went with a 7mm Ackley Mag.
I think he left a pretty good legacy; a smart guy for sure.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been a long time since I read it, but I do not believe that he designed the 7X61 S&H. I seem to remember that while he was in the army in Europe, he found an experimental rifle chambered for this cartridge. He liked the looks of it and did development work on it and got Schutz and Larson to build rifles for it.

There were several modifications of the original rifle after it went into production.

The one he found might not have been belted. I do not remember the country or origion of the rifle and cartridge.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I found a signed and inscribed first edition copy of Phil Sharpes "The Rifle in America" in a used book store not too long ago. I was surprised to say the least. The inscription reads "Greetings Mr. Shooter". The book is very informative and I refer to it often when researching older rifles.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to Ken Waters' "Pet Loads" Sharpe did indeed develop the 7x61 S&H (along with Dick Hart).

While serving in Europe during WWII he came upon an experimental French military cartridge which got him thinking about magnum 7mm's.

Waters claims the 7x64 Brenneke and the .280 Halger likely influenced Sharpe to an equal extent.

Waters goes on to explain that after several years of experiments and developmental work by Sharpe and Hart following WWII, the design and dimensions of the 7x61 were finalized and agreement was reached with Norma to produce cartridges and empty cases.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 7x61 S&H built in '81 and it was my mainstay hunting rifle for 24 years. Very good cartridge and as has been alluded to, the Rem was a cheaper rifle than the Danish Shultze and Larsen with the 7mm Rem giving a 100fps or so better velocity. The 7x61 was on a hiding to nothing in those circumstance but that took nothing away from its effectiveness.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
"Just as the sun shines simultaneously on the tall cedars and on each small flower as though it were alone on the earth, so Our Lord is occupied particularly with each soul as though there were no others like it.

Saint Th�r�se of Lisieux 1873-1897

somehow I feel this signature line bears repeating in this particular thread.... RIP....

Paul
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My father's best friend lived as a neighbor to Phil Sharpe. He told me that there used to be some grumbling about the noise from his shooting house but that overall he was well liked in the neighborhood. He gave me a stash of .30 M2 Ball ammo that supposedly came from Sharpe's estate which I promptly shot away in my '03 Springfield. (Kids. What are we going to do with them?!) He said Phil didn't suffer fools lightly but would always find time to talk guns with someone who knew what he was talking about.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 30 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.