OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
wayne, well how about 10mm smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How about shooting bears that ain't charging with a 357?

Why would you want to? If it aint charging, it's not a DLP and there's no reason to shoot.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can think of several good reasons to shoot bears that are not charging...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A couple of days in Alaska and they know EVERYTHING, pretty typical of dipshitt Californians
..............Since I appear to be the only one who lives in Calif on this thread, I can only presume that you were referring to me as the typical "dipshit" Californian????..........Btw! There`s only on "t" in dipshit there Mr. Genius!!

This has nothing to do with whether one has only one day of hunting experience in Alaska, two days of hunting time in Alaska or a thousand days of hunting time in Alaska!! Nor does have to do with how many bears one has killed or not killed. This has to do with common sense should that 1 in a million event occur, such as a serious confrontation with a big bear THAT COULD turn very deadly where any split second can make a difference.

Either way you cut it and with some serious practice, a handy short tubed revolver holstered correctly in a good location is quicker than a rifle to get into action should that unexpected surprise ever occur.

No matter how small the odds of a bear attack, I`d much rather be an alive typical "dipshit" Californian rather than a dead (from a bear attack) arrogant Alaskan.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you have 2 time zones on him, please don't keep him up too late....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not want to face a grizzly bear with a .357 magnum no matter what type or weight bullet you had in the pistol. Now when a bears button has been punched, it grows in size and becomes more massive to the human eye. I have been up close and personal with a couple of bears in my time and they can absorb a lot of lead, especially if you don't hit the bears "Central Nervous System". Once had a bear charge our group and 7 shots hit that bear in various places but the one to the head dropped it on the spot. It was a bullet from .338 Winchester magnum rifle.

I would not want even a .44mag pistol for bears, it would have to be at least the .454 Cassul in power. If your going to carry that pistol, you best be doing a lot of time at the shooting range as well or carry a jaw of vasoline in your back pocket when the time comes. Bears don't give pistol shooters a second chance.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/29/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good way to make them charge.....laffin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by trader388
wayne, well how about 10mm smile

If you shoot yourself just above the right ear with a 10mm or 40 cal it will either kill you or at least render you unconscious while the bear has his way with you. Either way you won't feel your hide come off in big hunks. smile

Silly damn thread is getting worse all the time. frown I give up. If the bear doesn't charge, don't shoot at it. If it does, we'll see how dead you can play whilst Mr. Bruin eats you. smile

Wayne

Last edited by peepsight3006; 04/29/10.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I first moved to AK I bought a 44Mag for bear protection, as that what all the guys in FL said I needed. I can't say I've ever carried it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Why would you want to? If it aint charging, it's not a DLP and there's no reason to shoot.

Cuzz I know Royce hunted bear with a 357. You do know people hunt, right?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be more inclined to back up my rifle with another rifle.

1Minute
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
A couple of days in Alaska and they know EVERYTHING, pretty typical of dipshitt Californians
..............Since I appear to be the only one who lives in Calif on this thread, I can only presume that you were referring to me as the typical "dipshit" Californian????..........Btw! There`s only on "t" in dipshit there Mr. Genius!!

This has nothing to do with whether one has only one day of hunting experience in Alaska, two days of hunting time in Alaska or a thousand days of hunting time in Alaska!! Nor does have to do with how many bears one has killed or not killed. This has to do with common sense should that 1 in a million event occur, such as a serious confrontation with a big bear THAT COULD turn very deadly where any split second can make a difference.

Either way you cut it and with some serious practice, a handy short tubed revolver holstered correctly in a good location is quicker than a rifle to get into action should that unexpected surprise ever occur.

No matter how small the odds of a bear attack, I`d much rather be an alive typical "dipshit" Californian rather than a dead (from a bear attack) arrogant Alaskan.

But [bleep] head to describe you seems to get the point across better than bleep head. I'm thinking you and common sense seldom collide but keep going it's fun to watch.

Course I've seen more bears in a week than you've seen in a lifetime but that obviously don't mean much to the graduates of the Jeff O School of Idiocy.

Waiting for the tirade of being a playboy because you played stinky finger with little Sally Winters in the 4th grade.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking anyone who is comfortable staring down the sights of a 357 pointed at a brown bear at close range is someone I can outrun. They would surely have balls the size of grapefruits. grin

I've seen firsthand what good bullets in a 45 Colt can do to a bear with questionable intent, looking at said critter across revolver sights of the same is hardly comforting. Give me a rifle- at least in a bigger revolver caliber- preferably (though I do sometimes carry a revolver that will deliver a 300-400 grain bullet at sonic speeds or so- and it has been useful.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

But [bleep] head to describe you seems to get the point across better than bleep head. I'm thinking you and common sense seldom collide but keep going it's fun to watch.

Course I've seen more bears in a week than you've seen in a lifetime but that obviously don't mean much to the graduates of the Jeff O School of Idiocy.

Waiting for the tirade of being a playboy because you played stinky finger with little Sally Winters in the 4th grade.

.............This is how Mr. Steelhead replies. A superb level of maturity! States alot without stating anything related to the subject!

You been drinking or smoking something perhaps????....... Tirade??,,,,Playboy??,,,,,Sally Winters??,,,,4th grade??,,,,Sticky fingers??....You must be extremely high up on the genetic totem pole with such marvelous comments related to the subject matter!!!

I don`t care if you see bears in your sleep or if you see thousands per day or how how much experience you have. That has nothing to do with anything!! It just means you`ve seen alot of bears!

And if you ever happen to ever get to So. Calif, please, please, please, please, by all means look me up!!! [bleep] is very easy to call someone on a thread who is several thousand miles away. However, in person to someone`s face directly, is quite another matter. We`ll share some tea and crumpets and have a good `ol time!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And btw there Steelhead!........Again! Please come to Calif. That`s assuming of course that you can leave your localities located somewhere between Flippant and Glib!!!!!!!!!

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by cmg
Sometimes I think bears, especially big brown ones, are the most stressed and stretched excuse for buying another gun.

AMEN

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

I never been to AK. But many of the local fishing guides here in Ory-Gun split time in the AK rivers.

The general consensus is that a 375 (H&H or Ruger) is a bear defense weapon.

That being said, most of the Fishing guides carry that thing between their ears for bear protection.

If you placed me in a Defense of Life situation tomorrow, I would use my Remington 870. Because that is what I have trained with and have become most proficient with. It also has pretty good power and can be loaded with 400 grain nosler partition sabot loads: grin

Good luck.

Oh--If your wife is asking, you need a new gun!!!!

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Cuzz I know Royce hunted bear with a 357. You do know people hunt, right?[/quote]

I just don't know anyone silly enough to go chasing bears with a 357 I guess. I don't think the original poster was asking about it's suitability as a hunting round, instead more of it's suitability as a defensive round.

I've seen first hand what a 357 does to a 3 year old black bear, at a range of 4 feet, lets just say I wasn't impressed with it.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Being one of the .00001 percenter's ,I still don't think I would be qualified to say yeah or nay on your question.

That being said I read some where years ago that a Wild Life Officer I believe in Wyoming was Jared off of a live trap during the release of a Grizzly and he Killed it with a .357.

All Bear charges don't start at 100 yd. across open water and clearings.Some come at 15 feet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen the video...he shot it from above at about three feet. The .357 worked just fine, because he put the shots into the spine and chest. And was deeply concerned with his situation, being cross-legged over the bear in the back of a pickup... whistle.

I may be slightly biased by living here and everything, but I would be a lot more likely to pay attention to the outlooks of fellow Alaskans than people who live in big cities in highly populated, but brown bear free, states.

Just saying...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (338reddog, 12344mag, 160user, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.