-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been asked by a friends widow to help dertermine the value of his firearm collection. He was a collector and not a shooter. Apparently he was a Marlin fan, he had several. I'm not sure what's in the mix. I think a lot were collectible models. This is not and ad and they are not currently being offered for sale. Perhaps in the future but not right now, I just need help with what these model numbers mean. I think the knowledge base here at the campfire is the resource I need. All of the following are Marlin's

Model:
39 AWL
1897 CL .22lr
39 TDS
39A
1894 .44mag TALO
1894 .44-40 CNLTD
1894 .45 Colt TALO
1895 .45-70 LTD
1895 .45-70CNLT
The only one I know for sure that's been fired is the 39A. I go tomorrow to inventory, catalog, and inspect these rifles. I've already done the pistols in the collection and based on that I expect to find new rifles still boxed. The above list is base on a list the family sent me. I believe that some of those are limited collectibles but need the unbiaised expert help that I can get here. So, please let me know what you may know about these models. Thanks, CH.

Last edited by chickasaw_hunter; 04/13/10.

The older I get the better I was.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
39 AWL - I dunno

1897 CL .22lr - Cataloged rifle, oct bbl, copy of first run (in 1897) of this model, based on the 39a AFAIK

39 TDS - Cataloged rifle, 16" round bbl, straight grip, soft carry case

39A - Cataloged rifle since the early 1940's, many variations, mostly 24" bbls, w/ PG stocks

1894 .44mag TALO - Catalog rifle, modified to Talo's specs for distribution

1894 .44-40 CNLTD - I dunno

1894 .45 Colt TALO- Made for Talo's distribution

1895 .45-70 LTD - Cataloged rifle, Deluxe version of standard rifle, 22" bbl, PG stock IIRC

1895 .45-70CNLT - I dunno

FWIW, They all appear to be relatively modern rifles, some copies of earlier Marlin models - except for the 39a, which could potentially be up to 67 years old.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
CNTLT are the Century Limited versions of each.

39 AWL - is Model 39A American Wildlife Limited.

All are modern firearm, with the value depending mostly on condition. Given that... some are rare for modern firearms. The TDS for example in excellent condition can go for a $1000 with case and paperwork on auction sites. Good luck.

Nothin Clever Here
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
First of all I am sorry to hear about your loss. A friend is hard to loose. And it is even tougher to go through a friends gun collection. I have done it before. And it is no fun.

I am sure you main priority is to get the best price you can for your friends wife. After all that is what good friends are for. So IMO you need to make a few decisions up front. The first is do you have the time and knowledge to do this for her?? And second do you believe this could lead to any conflict between any other friends or family. Doing something like this can cause permanent riffles in friends and family relations. So in other words just make sure everyone is on board with the decisions made. Or at least everyone who matters.

Now to the rifles. The first thing to do is take about 10 detailed pictures of each firearm. It is 100% impossible for anyone to give an accurate value of a rifle without detailed photos. It really is that simple.

Marlin buyers(collectors) will definitely pay a premium for better wood on a Marlin. Normally this premium can be $100-$200. Depending on how nice the wood is.

There are a lot of guys on here who are very smart on gun values. Post intricate pictures of each firearm and then I believe you can get a more appropriate value for each rifle. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all for the responses. Hogghead, all of your points are right on the money. Today I was able to examine all of them and all of them (except one 39a) are new in the box, w/papers. It seems he was a collector and bought mostly based on special editions. After seeing them I have a much better idea of what course to take. I don't plan to do any of the selling, I hope to find an outlet to sell them on a consignment basis. Now just need to find an honest broker. Some of these have a pretty hefty price listed in the "blue book" but I'm sure like a lot of blue books those prices are not the final final determination of value. My purpose was to just get an idea of what she had and what might be of greater value. I'm trying hard to stay out of the middle. Thanks again for all the replies and some good advice. CH

The older I get the better I was.
IC B2

G
G
That is A fine colection. Good luck with it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Please let us know who will be selling this collection. I'd be interested in the 39 TDS. Thanks; Mike

Leave the gun, take the canolis.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.