Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
More and more I find �hunting� gear inferior to other options for actual use. Generally hunting gear seems to be overly complicated, heavy, over camo�d, or just plain gimmicky. I now love hunting in zip off �fishing pants� with layers for example.

I am still on a quest for the perfect day pack. I have adopted a method of simply using a Cabelas external frame for hauling in gear and out meat, and just strapping on a day pack to wear once I establish base camp. I used a Eberlstock X2 last year, and like a lot of it�s features but it is just too short for my torso. I also think it is a little over-constructed � if possible.

Been search the net and the Osprey 22 and/or Osprey 33 look like nice day packs. I may pick one up for a CO family trip this summer, and wondered how it may do hunting. I can get it in a blue color that isn�t too �granola�nutty� if you know what I mean. It also is about 2 lbs lighter than my X2. My main concern would be how noisy the nylon may be when moving through brush. Anyone with any experience with these packs or other suggestions?

http://www.rei.com/product/748229

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
djb,

My buddy has one of the Osprey packs that he hunts with, and it has served him well. It certainly isn't too noisy for rifle hunting, but I don't know if it would be my first choice when carrying my bow.

You might also check out the Sitka Flash 20. I've got one myself, and design-wise it's very close to the Osprey with the added benefit of being a little more quiet and camo for those times it's necessary...like when I took it turkey hunting this spring for instance.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 05/02/10.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
That's an interesting option, thanks Do they really go for $200 though? That seems a little much for a daypack, of course Sitka Gear alsways seems to be a little "proud" of their products.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For a hunting daypack - no heavy hauling duties, a MR Dragon Slayer would be my choice: MR Daypacks They adjust for torso length too: MR Pack Adjustment Video

Another great choice is the MR Bighorn, which can handle some heavy loads.

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the zip off pants.

I've been using a cabela's frame and Badlands 2200 as you described. I broke the frame last fall packing out a quartered whitetail. That is the second cabelas frame I have busted in about three years. Will be upgrading this season.

IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Wow, how did you break the frame? Did you take a fall?

I think I have the Alaskan Guide (or something to that extent). I know Cabelas has lighter versions. My only complaint with it thus far is that it is squeeky. Not a big deal since I usually hump in with Almman Brothers playing on my I-pod smile

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My idea of the "perfect hunting day pack" is the Kifaru Sike Camp, customized with their add on pouches.
But that's not really what you asked.
I've got a new Osprey Krestal 38 that I've been using regularly on the trail. The trails involve lots of steep stuff, and lots of bending, even crawling under a barbed wire fence.
It works fine with about 18 lbs. in it. It's quiet, it is made of tough material, and it was less than a third the price of the Kifaru SC. Mine is blue and grey. Bought for "go lite" back packing and for very long day hikes in our local wildernesses. While I'm not planning to use it hunting, I have lots of other packs for that, it would work for any hunting chore except hauling out much weight. Anything much over 20 lbs. and the suspension system won't work as it should. E

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
djb,

They do in fact go for that much ($200). I consider my daypack as an essential, and much utilized piece of gear which makes it a LITTLE easier to swallow that price.

The aforementioned DragonSlayer starts at $270 so everything is relative. Before all the MR fans start defending the price, let me state for the record that I'm not saying it's overpriced. It's just more expensive than the Flash 20 I mentioned, and obviously price metter to the original poster.

I think MR makes great packs in general. For the light loads I carry in my daypack though, I prefer packs that are also light in nature. The MR doesn't really fit that mold imo...though it's certainly more capable where heavy loads are concerned. I guess the other reason I gravitated to the Flash 20 was the suspension system. I like the way the Flash 20 is construced in such a way to maximize air flow. It's very similar to the Osprey in that way.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thank you both. E. that is precisely the type of information I am looking for. I like to move fast and light when hunting while still feeling prepared. I know guys in Ohio that walk 100 yrds to a deerstand with 30 lbs of crap on them smile

Upon review, I guess we all may have different ideas of what a hunting day pack should do. Personally, I carry my rifle in my hands � no need for a gun bearer or sleeve. I carry typical survival gear, first aid, ammo, gps, camera, knife, folding saw, food/water, go-lite poncho, and additional clothing layers as required for colder temps while sitting, and rain gear.

Basically, I want to carry everything I need to hunt and survive a night out if needed. I�d say all the above weighs 10 lbs probably less when I am actually wearing all my layers. I do not take a bunch of extras or feel the need to pack meat or my whole camp with me in the day pack. When I make a kill, I generally quarter right there, and head back to camp for my pack frame.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the weight you want to carry its going to be a great pack.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I bought a similar Osprey backpack...maybe slightly larger than that one. It is great, lightweight, vented, well built. I was able to get mine off rei outlet for $65. There are some real good deals out there if you have patience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have about four different Osprey products, ranging from a week-long-use backpack to a Kestrel 38. I like them all quite a lot; the two bigger ones I've packed lots of deer/caribou/moose et al out. They stand up very well, and I do not use them gently... whistle.

I have also gotten all of them in some variety of green/grey/black colors. Picture was taken for the rifle carried for caribou hunting, but you can get the color point...

[Linked Image]

Packing a deer out five miles in SE Alaska...

[Linked Image]

I like them a lot; they look fine in the woods and on the plains; they stand up very well to hard work; and they don't cost a huge amount, relative to their use and value.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
For a hunting daypack - no heavy hauling duties, a MR Dragon Slayer would be my choice: MR Daypacks They adjust for torso length too: MR Pack Adjustment Video

Another great choice is the MR Bighorn, which can handle some heavy loads.

MtnHtr

+1

That's what I did. Went back and forth between the BH and DS. Decided that I won't need the extra weight and hauling capabilities of the Bighorn.... once the NICE 6500 w/ Longbow get here. Eventually... smile

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Weather cooperating, my favorite hunting day pack is a Badlands Reactor. 100 oz of water, room for jerky, power bars, a little spare ammo, mini-'nocs ... and that's it. Which, if I'm not going to carry meat out in my pack, is all I want to lug around.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, if there's a lot of temperature swing so I need to haul shed layers in my pack, I carry something bigger, or if it's raining, I carry no pack at all, but when things come together, for the ideal days, the Reactor wins hands down.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use the same style pack for warm weather bird hunting. Works especially well while wearing a heavy handgun. Just bought the Reactor and I'm sure it will work well for that since i've been using the same class of pack in a Bianchi Hardcore for several years now.
But for all day big game hunting, where extra clothing, optics and gear to handle the kill are needed, I've got to have alot more pack performance. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice pics, Dennis. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I understand.

In the earliest part of fall deer season, I can get away with just a long sleeved tee shirt over a regular tee shirt, no jacket, so there's room in the pack. As it cools off later in the season and I need a jacket in the morning, I, too, begin to need a bigger pack.

If it gets really cold or if its rainy so the temperature is more constant, then I can dress for the whole day and not need a pack 'cause I wont' be shedding layers.

Often a matter of looking at the forecast and figuring out what the day will bring, then choosing a pack to fit the rest of the day's gear.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am with E, not what you asked, but the Spike Camp is the bomb! I screwed up when I sold mine for $250. I do like the Osprey vented back rest though!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djb
Wow, how did you break the frame? Did you take a fall?

I think I have the Alaskan Guide (or something to that extent). I know Cabelas has lighter versions. My only complaint with it thus far is that it is squeeky. Not a big deal since I usually hump in with Almman Brothers playing on my I-pod smile

Busted one of straps that supports the shelf

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all the responses. Great pictures muledeer! I love the second one with you all loaded up. I must say, you have got to have some tough feet. If I hiked 5 miles with pack boots on, I�d have hamburger for feet!

Well I did the smart thing and found a mountaineering shop locally and tried about everything on in the whole store. I started with the Ospreys and they just didn�t fit me. They did fit my wife and I got her one (how�s that for a 15th anniversary present :D). I am 6�2 207 with broad shoulders, monkey arms, and a 20 inch torso. The Ospreys we just too narrow. I tried on Lowe, Deuter, and finally a Gregory Z35. It was like a revelation!

The Gregory Z35 is a little heavier than the others but has much sturdier/wider straps, thick padding, and super ventilated. It really is kind of a tweener. It is really a heavy daypack or very light overnight pack with a little over 2000 cu ft of space @ 3lbs. The big thing is it fit like a glove and carried 20 lbs like it wasn�t there AND it sat right on my hips. It has two waist belt pockets that are actually usable for ammo, knives or flashlights�.other packs pockets were too small and dug into me when filled. Another bonus is the yoke design allows unobstructed shouldering of a rifle. Luckily the color �sahara bronze� is a nice low key goldish brown. I think Gregory would sell a lot of these in Cabelas if they slapped some camo on it.

Have you ever really wanted to like something, but just couldn�t fool yourself. The X2 was this for me. It is a very well built and sturdy pack but is just too small for me. Oh well, I�m going to put it in the classified and make sure the buyer understands it is for ~18 inch long torso and not much more. The quest for perfect gear goes on....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,363 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.