-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
OP Offline
Z
can anyone tell me what the CZ 550 in .458 LOTT is like as a weapon. I have been offered one brand new but have heard stories of bad craftsmanship etc on these big CZ's.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one in .458 Win., and can say that they are a value for the money. I did glass bed and cross bolt mine, as well as slick up the action. That is all that mine needed, and is an honest minute of angle shooter.

One suggestion I would make is to relocate the front sling stud. It can eat your hand during recoil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zimguide.....I have heard "horror stories" of CZ and their big bore rifles in the last 2 years. I have put my hands on several, that had very fine walnut stocks on them and I thought the workmanship was very good compared to years past (metal to wood fit) I did not like those large so called Express Sights that CZ puts on their rifles, I think they could have been down sized a bit to make the rifle more pleasing to the eye.

Accuracy wise I have not heard of any complaints, just that of stocks cracking or splitting. I did read on a forum of someone having a bolt problem and he sent it back twice......don't know if they got it fixed to suit him or not really. I think a good HOGUE STOCK with aluminum bedding block would take care of the stock problem etc. My LOTT gives me 2345-fps with no problem on extraction, shot in 98 degree weather 3 quick shots in succession. I fairness to CZ, the price is right on their rifles and stocks don't cost that much to replace. I like the laminated hardwood stocks for this caliber the best.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If the original poster lives in Zim then he may likely have the opportunity to chase the big fellows with the Lott. It strikes me that only a fool would do so without having a rifle thoroughly gone over by a competent smith. With that said, factory quality and workmanship largely becomes a moot issue.

Have at it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The rifle in my Avatar to the left is a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. Photo taken there in Zim, Near Hwange. They are terrific weapons and are well respected around the world. Not as slick and smooth our of the gate as something from Empire rifles or an older British best quality magazine rifle but wonderfully effective and reliable right out of the box. I would say buy it and use it and when you have a good season it can be slicked up a bit by a good smith there or I will do it for you on my next trip over as well as bring a 'few' more cartridges than I need in that caliber. nice that 458 Win ammo can be used in the rifle with no hiccups as well is a real plus. Get it and go forth to slay the biggest of the bad.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ask that very same question about a year ago�. I was referred to this guy

I have not found the cash to get the rifle much less the work but give him a call� can�t hurt

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/CZ/CZowners.htm

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by zimguide
can anyone tell me what the CZ 550 in .458 LOTT is like as a weapon. I have been offered one brand new but have heard stories of bad craftsmanship etc on these big CZ's.
The only one I've come in contact with had severe feeding issues.. Rounds wouldn't feed with reliability - the nose of the bullet would jam up against their poorly-designed breech (IMHO)..

The barrel breech is machined with a 'step' before the chamber.. Bullet noses would catch on the step and stop all forward movement with the bolt.. Heaven knows why they just don't machine their breeches with a simple cone like the model 70 and eliminate any such feeding issue.

The guy had no time left to allow me to attempt a correction.. I warned him that it might literally need to have the barrel set back, machine a cone and deepen the chamber in order to thoroughly correct any feeding maladies.. I think he sold it/traded it off for a different rifle..

The retailer near me who had been handling these rifles have had to send several back to the factory for repairs/corrections..

Maybe it's just bad luck here.. Who knows..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have both the Ruger and the CZ in 416 Rigby and I like the CZ better. The CZ is accuate, better balanced with less felt recoil.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like all the CZ stuff. I do not have one of the really big bores. Mine is a 9.3 x 62 Medium and I love it. One thing I know you will get with the .458 Lott is a good butt kicking if you shoot it from the bench without a recoil aid! I have done this with a Ruger #1 and I got a scope cut no matter how hard I grabbed it. There is a good article on the CZ .458 Lott in a recent issue of "Shooting Times". (I think) It is a very good review and it gives the rifle high marks. See if you can find it zm. If not, pm me and I will scan it and send it too you. Dee

"That God could and would, if He were sought."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.