Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ingwe gets all weird about using Ballistic Tips in the 7x57. I can assure you the rifle don't care grin

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice rifles

I've seen a couple of 7x57's that really liked the 120 grain Ballistic Tip.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The 140s with Win 760 flat work in the 7x57 in the family and deer die from it wink

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Comments or thoughts on my craziness?"

Well, I'd have kept the .280 and bought the 7x57 too. grin

Yeah, I would have had a hard time parting with the .280.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Super write-up.. And, mega kudos for the 7X57 affinity! I am likewise plagued. I can't wait to get my newest custom 7X57 to the range.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Timberline

... I�d had several 7x57s, for some reason had traded them away...

Bill,

Please rest easy knowing the 700 Mtn Rifle you sold me is being lovingly cared-for, and regularly hunted with. It's now all dressed-up with a 4x32 Conquest in Talley Lows, and feasts on S&B 173 SPCE ammo.

I loaned this rifle to a buddy for a hog hunt, & I had to pry it out of his hands afterward. He later found his own 7x57 MR online, & he's now as happy as pig in _________.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw your post asking to trade, because I'd recently had a M70 fwt 7x57, too! I never could like it as much as the 700, and I sent it down the road, just a few months before your query.

I loved reading your post, & seeing your pics. Do send some game pix when you bloody your latest 7x57.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 05/13/10.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice read and pics, thanks and congrats.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All I can say is WOW, what a write-up!! I agree; you should be hired by several shooting rags...

But in any case, I'm very happy to hear the rifle is working well for you and is in the condition you wanted.. I usually do not keep any firearm that's less than 95% - yours was rated at 98% and I just did a little trigger work on it, not a full job..

I love the 7X57 - still have two rifles in that chambering and will probably keep 'em.. I think they'd make very good northern Wisconsin deer hunting rifles..

Thank you for the kind words, the excellent write-up and your purchase... I hope it gives you decades of pleasure and use..

smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another success story for the "blue and wood" rifles...well done!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Timberline: Excellent read with great pictures. You did good on your rifle swap; you still have both cartridges! The pictures of the shooting range; is that your own range? Like the set-up. Again, nicely done. Tom

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I thoroughly enjoyed your post and the great pics!! I own an M700 in .280 Remington and an M77 in 7x57. In reading through the responses to this post, I now realize I need to acquire an M77 Featherweight in something 7mm... perhaps a Featherweight in 7mm08 and a NULA in .284!!

smile Ah the joy of splitting hairs!! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas
Well done. I would be curious as to the differences in velocity that you saw between the 280 and the 7x57.

With respect, love of the 7x57 is not about velocity. It's about a wholly adequate hunting cartridge. It's about a cartridge with a longer [successful] history than most. It's about low recoil. It's about balance, versatility, and performance. It's about perfection.

Many calibers tout higher velocity. None are "better" than the 7x57.

Timberline, congratulations on your success, and your new rifle. Welcome to the ranks of 7x57 lovers. You are going to like the way it works.

My utility load in 7x57 shoots a 175 grain Hornady spire point at something like 2400 fps. This load will put a fist-sized hole through any deer, from any angle, every time. No questions, no bullet blow-up, no excuses, no worries, just solid predictable performance. All I have to do is put the bullet in the right place, and the deer is mine.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very well said, and right on the money..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by southtexas
Well done. I would be curious as to the differences in velocity that you saw between the 280 and the 7x57.

With respect, love of the 7x57 is not about velocity.

Oh, I fully understand and appreciate that. Clearly, it's not about max velocity, or there would not have been a swap from the 280 to the 7X57. And obviously, Timberline could have simply loaded his 280 to 7x57 velocity levels. It was a move that only loonies, like us, could understand. Doesn't stop my curiosity as to what velocity levels are being achieved, however.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

With respect, love of the 7x57 is not about velocity. It's about a wholly adequate hunting cartridge. It's about a cartridge with a longer [successful] history than most. It's about low recoil. It's about balance, versatility, and performance. It's about perfection.

It seems to me, too, that Big Redhead�s 7x57 assessment is pretty much spot on. Well, maybe the use of the word �perfection� is a wee bit over the top and sends us sloshing around in the 7x57 Kool-Aid bowl. But Big Redhead�s overall point is quite valid. At its recoil level (which is surprisingly mild), little else seems to be able to touch the 7x57 in terms of actual performance on game.

I�ve done a lot of hunting with magnum cartridges, especially in the .300 WM to .375 H&H arena, and believe me it�s a pleasure to pick up and shoot something like a 7x57 when appropriate.

I remember the last time I used the cartridge. It was a cold, blustery Wyoming day.

An hour before dark, I found an excellent antelope buck running 15 does all over a wide basin below a tall rim. I circle and closed to within 500 yards, and then simply set up in a clump on sagebrush on the rim. The only chance I would have would occur if one of the does would break out of the harem, run my way and the buck would follow to round her up. After 20 minutes of watching and waiting, one old doe did just that. The buck raced out after her and they both finally stopped broadside at 254 lasered yards. I was lying prone and shooting over my pack. I held right on his backline and 2 inches into the ever-present Wyoming wind and dropped him with a centered lung shot. The Remington M700 Mountain Rifle seemed barely to jump at the shot. No fuss, no muss, one dead antelope.

[Linked Image]

And that�s what the 7x57 Mauser in a good rifle seems to do so well.

Southtexas, I do find that chronographing various loads, cartridges and rifles is often fascinating. It does tend to put things in the proper performance perspective. With the 7x57, given its case capacity, a stout load is indeed capable of surprising speed. Of course, recoil climbs with that speed. I never did chronograph that .280 Featherweight. But I may with this 7x57. Like you, I�m curious. But I think I�ll first shoot something, or a number of somethings, with this rifle so as not to mess up my thinking.....if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Timberline; 05/13/10.

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"But I think I�ll first shoot something, or a number of somethings, with this rifle so as not to mess up my thinking.....if you know what I mean."

I understand completely.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Gems like this are why I keep roaming around the 'Fire, looking.

Now, myself, I would never have sold the first rifle until the second had proven itself worthy. Glad it worked out for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Model 70 Classic Sporter that is begging to get rebarreled with a featherweight contour barrel chambered in 7x57 and put into a featherweight stock. A Leupold FX-II 4x33 would fit nicely on it as well smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice write up..

I've hunted with a Featherweight chambered in "7 mm Mauser" as it is marked on the barrel..

I won't part with it at all... I love both the rifle and the cartridge..

I handload all of my ammo.. I ended up getting the rifle for cheap after someone spent a good amount of cash on it, with a new recoil pad, glass bedding it, trigger job etc..

He sold it for $300.00 because ammo was hard to find for it.. and most locals wouldn't touch it because it was chambered in something "oddball"....

That also included Leupold Rings and Bases...

I wouldn't sell it for 2 grand.. that is how much I am attached to it.. it would be hard to find a replacement for it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 4 rifles chambered in 7x57, and another in the works, all Rugers. I would love to see FNH make the M70 featherweight in the caliber with the latest CRF action.

Did New Haven ever make the classic featherweight in 7x57? I have seen the XTR pushfeeders but I don't think I've ever seen a classic. I had a classic FW in 6.5x55 but (stupidly) traded it away.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
331 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.