When walking my two heelers in the woods I have noticed they really get excited when we come across deer sign. Almost like cats around catnip. The older dog has been pretty well broke from running deer, the younger one hasn't yet had the opportunity to try.

I don't care much if they run rabbits, squirrels, and cats and such, especially as they don't actually kill 'em, just nip at their heels and bark at 'em when they stop so they can be chased some more. Running deer however is a capital crime and besides, could take them clear into the next county in a hurry.

Still, I've noticed that, happy as they get to find a rabbit trail, deer sign really gets them hyper. Since dogs are plainly offbred wolves, I'm wondering if an affinity for ungulate prey and the scent thereof might go way back in the canine bloodline.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744