Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by isaac
Thanks Jorge....The PH model comes in 1.75?? I thought the 1.75's were Zeiss and the 1.7 began in the Z-6 series of Swaro. I'll double check.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-17-10x42-Z6-30mm-Riflescope-P12060.aspx

Bob: I don't know if the PH series have been discontinued, I suspect Doug at Cameraland can chime in. I have a PH in that exact magnification, but that Z6 is the cat's meow! (no pun intended). I'd certainly have no issues with using the 06 on the leopard and the rest of the game you take light won't be an issue with the 375. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Damn Jorge...SWFA has this Zeiss Demo-A version on sale for $600 below MSRP

http://www.samplelist.com/-P198.aspx

Last edited by isaac; 05/14/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1.) Leave the laptop at home. Learn to delegate.

2.) Don't stress over scopes, the ones you have are good. At this point you're talking about trading in Miss Georgia for Miss Uruguay (or Germany in this case). The truth is when you're over 50, you can't get enough performance difference between the two to make it worth the trouble.

3.) A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold, as well as a meet and greet these days.

4.) A day or two of game viewing when you first hit in country is great if you have the time. If you're on for only 10 days, grab the rifle and blast away.

5.) IF you think that you'll do 10 days and make it quick to get back to work, listen to me and make it 14 days and enjoy. When later you're in Cardiac ICU with tubes running in and out of every imaginable place, you won't be thinking "damn, I should have worked more. What is 4 days of work? It ain't shiite. Go have fun!!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
just remember....if you eat right, exercise, stay away from wine, women, and song, you are gonna have 2 extra years in the nursing home!!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Another reason not to go game viewing afterwards is because if the hunt is close to what it can be, you'll be in a hurry to get home, make some more money and go back. grin

Don't rush through your time.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don't forget the condoms Bob, AIDS rate is fairly high in all African nations.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
just remember....if you eat right, exercise, stay away from wine, women, and song, you are gonna have 2 extra years in the nursing home!!

Pearler!!! laugh

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by hatari

2.) Don't stress over scopes, the ones you have are good. At this point you're talking about trading in Miss Georgia for Miss Uruguay (or Germany in this case). The truth is when you're over 50, you can't get enough performance difference between the two to make it worth the trouble.

3.) A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold, as well as a meet and greet these days.

4.) A day or two of game viewing when you first hit in country is great if you have the time. If you're on for only 10 days, grab the rifle and blast away.

5.) IF you think that you'll do 10 days and make it quick to get back to work, listen to me and make it 14 days and enjoy. When later you're in Cardiac ICU with tubes running in and out of every imaginable place, you won't be thinking "damn, I should have worked more. What is 4 days of work? It ain't shiite. Go have fun!!!!

And the best advice on this thread!

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Don't forget the condoms Bob, AIDS rate is fairly high in all African nations.....

=======================

I'll pass along that morsel to Karen.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks doctor. I'm in Zim for a 14 day hunt;last 2 weeks of May as it stands now.

I appreciate your advice. I have to add though that at 52, I can still notice a discernible difference between great scopes and superb ones.

William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari

Maybe, but I know I wouldn't even consider a Leupold 2X7X33 on a leopard blind at dawn, dusk or even using a light. You booked for a 14 day cat/buff hunt, use every second of it! and add the sightseeing afterwards like Vic Falls. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

=======================

I'll pass along that morsel to Karen.

Courtesy and respect are halting the hand on the keyboard; thats to easy a pass to exploit.

smile

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Well with my "extensive experience" LOL! I would recommend the following and have had good success using the following:

One pair of prior pants work great for areas with lots of dense thorn brush, like I just experienced in KZN

2 pairs of convertible pants, shorts/long pants, the zip off legs

I like the LL Bean ripstop cotton shirts better than Cabelas serengeti shirts, but good nonetheless, long sleeve is good so you can roll them up if need to

I like Russell Boots and have a pair of their PH boots, I love them, but you can easily hunt in tennis shoes, hiking boots, etc. You don't have to buy boots for the occasion unless you want to.

I have a Red Oxx duffle bag and love it, I have the safari ph 5.5 I believe great bag but again any bag you have will fit the bill

I like simple, I take a .375 H&H, I load Barnes x bullets 270 grains, I use a Kahles 1.1x4 scope, but think I would prefer to go 1.5x6x42 and may switch if I end up building a .404 Jeffery.

Good Binocs, folks will differ here, but I like a larger field of view so I bring my regular 8x42 binocs, if makes game viewing a lot better.

Flashlight

Good socks, I found some Columbia Merino wool socks at their outlet and they are the best socks I have owned

Gaiters, I brought the canvas Boyt safari gaiters and they are great $20 well spent

sunglasses

Fleece jacket

Gloves, leather uninsulated, I like the churchill gloves, but it does not matter

prescription for ambien, stool softener, diarrea meds, antibiotic, malaria prophy,

You won't need much as other folks have posted, less than a week long elk hunt in Colorado

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks doctor. I'm in Zim for a 14 day hunt;last 2 weeks of May as it stands now.

I appreciate your advice. I have to add though that at 52, I can still notice a discernible difference between great scopes and superb ones.

At 52, you can also notice a discernible difference between Miss Georgia and Miss Uruguay too, but at that level, do you need the upgrade? grin

If things are so dark that only $1K+ glass makes the shot possible, take your finger off the trigger and try again tomorrow. That's the scenario that starts the "I was mauled by a leopard" stories.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh but those leopard scars! Better than Air Medals! smile jorge

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.