Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Several amigos and I attended the Natural Resouces Board meeting April 28 in Green Bay WI where the 2010 gun deer hunting season was revealed. Just as expected the DNR has no clue about real time deer numbers throughout the state and has not listened to the boots on the ground. "Gun deer hunters are not harvesting enough deer" so the DNR has to continue with seasons in addition to the traditional November 9 day season.

They propose a Youth Hunt October 9-10 state wide, Anterless only gun hunt October 14-17 in herd control and CWD units and December 9-12 anterless only hunt state wide.

The DNR wants to sell licenses and blast the heck out of the deer herd, but some of us have had enough.

I have joined 17 other landowners in Herd Control Unit 73D to not hunt the October and December seasons. In addition, we will not allow others to hunt our land, the exception is the Youth Hunt. Currently the group has 2465 acres of prime deer habitat and we expect more to join us before October.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Why not go all the way?..boycott the gun season too.

I've given enough money to the "tax-state". I'm not hunting small game, bow deer, or gun deer for the first time in 15 years. If I didn't have a fishing license before I decided that, I'd be skipping that to. fugg-em. I've had it.

Last edited by tzone; 05/18/10.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great, another crappy deer season, I can't wait, maybe I'll save up and hunt in Kansas or something instead. I like living in Wisconsin but I friggin' our DNR, those guys are retards.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't want to skip the 9 day gun season...I have 53 years in. I would have 54 years, but I was on vacation one year in Vietnam with the U. S. Army. frown

70 years of hunting Wisconsin Whitetails is what I am hoping for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd trade you guys any day for what we have. Our regs suck and do nothing to promote any age structure.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roundoak and all our other vets-thanks for your service guys. I hear the stories from Cheeseland all the time. The boots on the dirt have pretty much had it with the kill every doe mentality. Pennsylvania pulled this stunt a few years back, and now it's darned hard to see any deer in the woods at all. They had a decent idea, to try to promote some bigger racked, older deer, but they killed off way too many does. 'Hope the same doesn't happen for your guys too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
gophergunner...we need more than hope. We need prayers for some common sense in our deer management.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wisconsin is a nightmare compared to Michigan. Let them keep their system and not infect us.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
gophergunner...we need more than hope. We need prayers for some common sense in our deer management.

It seems the State is using regulations to get us to quit hunting. Well, it worked. I'm done here.

I'm not so sure that isn't their plan. They know that some form of "no hunting" bill wouldn't stand a chance of passing, so the over regulated it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tzone,

The saddest part is I see this thought more and more frequently in the youth that I mentor.

Last edited by roundoak; 05/19/10.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I haven't really noticed that yet. I teach hunters safety and most of the kids really want to be there. Some are there because ma or pa wanted the to be. quite a few are gung ho about it.

Some of the rules and regs are just silly. Deer registration for example. Or not being able to quarter the deer/bear to get it out of the woods.

I've only hunted MN and WI, but most I know that have hunted other areas, don't hunt here anymore, or really cut back on hunting in WI.

I don't even complain about MN regs anymore. They are head and shoulders above WI.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I taught hunter safety for many years and I agree most were excited and gung ho. Some gun club members and I take kids out on the October Youth Hunt ("Rent a kid hunt")and this is where I saw the kids attitude change the last two years because of lack of deer sightings. Their attention span gets short in a hurry.

The kid's expectations are high because they grew up in an amazing deer hunting media world and saw the high deer kill success rate in Wisconsin. When I grew up in southwest Wisconsin my friends and I did not have high expectations...there were few if any deer. We joined our grandfathers, fathers and uncles on the Up North migration to hunt deer.

In addition, we were not distracted by TV, game videos, cell phones and etc., or ability to drive ATV's around.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The kids were spoiled with deer sightings for sure. I grew up hunting the iron range in MN, and I can count on one hand the times we actually saw deer while I tagged along with my dad and uncle.

I didn't shoot a deer until I was 14, and it was the first one I could shoot at while hunting. So I hunted for 2 years before I got a chance at one.

Today, I don't think many kids would have stuck it out that long.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Youper
Wisconsin is a nightmare compared to Michigan. Let them keep their system and not infect us.

I don't know about that...with results this different you'd never guess we were neighbors.

[Linked Image]

B & C Bucks 96-06:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'm pulling for Indiana but gotta admit...I think they are trying to kill off our heard too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tom, have you noticed any difference in what you see since IN went to OBR a few years ago?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes, bigger more mature bucks every year since.

I love the OBR.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Its the killing of does our state does that I have a problem with.

If you were rich and had the time you could kill up to over 430 does in the state if Indiana......to me thats utterly rediculous.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, same thing happened in areas here. Taking does to the point where it's detrimental is not a good thing. The northern lower has quite a bit of controversy regarding that issue. Can't say with the UP as I haven't hunted there in about 12 years.

I've seen the OBR success in IN referenced many times by people here and good to hear someone's firsthand exp. and the positives of it.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Its amazing the difference in size and maturity of the bucks being checked in at the check stations by hunters from when we were allowed 2 bucks.

Seems many people dont want to burn their tag on a dink anymore and I think thats the way it should be, allowing the little ones to grow up.

I know firsthand that the size of bucks I am passing up now are the same bucks I would have shot 10 yrs ago.

Like I said I love the OBR.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.