Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Let's look at our cartridge brass first. Everything we do in hand loading is in the name of consistency, shot to shot. (Technically not "reloading" which is quick & expedient for the likes of short range speed shooting such as IPSC & Steel challenge shoots.)

So there it is before us- a fine specimen of a fired case. We need to resize our cases as well as deprime them. But before we do that, our case has a vital piece of information it's dying to give us.

When we resize the case we want it to stay a precision fit to the individual rifle's chamber from which it was fired. If we go ahead and resize it we have lost this information of the rifle's length of headspace.

We need a tool for this.
[Linked Image]
But we are going to measure the case from it's head (where the writing is) to the datum of the shoulder. For this we need the above illustrated tool:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5574/Case-Gauges-Headspace-Tools
this holds the insert onto your calipers. You'll also need the insert specific to your cartridge: http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11264/Case-Gauges-Headspace-Tools

Her's a photo of measuring the freshly fired case form the rifle to obtain a headspace measurement:

[Linked Image]

So now we know this length of the fired case, we set up the resizing die in the press to "bump" the shoulder back to three thousandth's of an inch (.003") under/shorter than this length. This gives clearance for loading and unloading the unfired round, but maintains a snug fit in the chmaber so the round and bullet is held on centerline with the bore for ultimate accuracy. It also keeps us from over working brass. If we size it way back, and it stretches way out on firing, and continue this the brass case will seperate from the head!

Here we can see from the original measurement that we have moved or "bumped" the shoulder back .003":
[Linked Image]

Until you get the tool in the mail: take a fired case and wipe it off with a rag & alcohol etc. Use a candle or lighter and burn black soot onto the shoulder of the case.

[Linked Image]

Back out your resizing die a few turns on the press. Press the case up into the resizing die and withdraw it. Did you get lines on the shoulder of the case? No? screw in the die a little more and repeat. Continue this process until you get faint lines in the soot.

In this photo you can see the line in the soot where the neck bushing stopped on the neck, as well as a line and some dappled marks where the shoulder was just touched by the Resizing die:
[Linked Image]

Now wipe off the case and chamber the empty case in the rifle and see how the bolt feels as it closes. Was their any resistance? You want to bump the shoulder of the case back just enough that your borderline of having/not having a teeny bit of resistance in closing the bolt on the case. Now you have your resizer die set as well as you can until the proper tool arrives in the mail. Now resize all your cases.

Annealing:

If your brass has been fired a few times, it has & is hardening.
Brass work hardens. Shoot it, Resize it, Tumble it it all hardens it. Which means some will be harder/stronger on it's grip of the bullet than others and our consistency in everything we are trying to achieve went right out of the window; this example in known as "Neck tension" or the amount of grip of the case neck on the bullet.

Annealing: anneal your brass cases every 3 firings at least. I anneal mine every 2. You only anneal the neck and shoulder, not the HEAD! There are fancy case annealing machines, but I don't have that kind of money. Here's what I do:

Get you some 650 degree rated Tempilaq. Tempilaq basically looks like an over sized bottle of fingernail polish.

[Linked Image]

It comes in heat grades. We used it in Machine shops for various tasks. You basically paint a stripe on your metal and let it dry. Apply heat and when it gets to the temperature you wanted the Tempilaq liquefies and the color (yellow) disapeers.

I paint a stripe INSIDE the mouth of my cases.

[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1006.jpg[/img]

After it dries I hold the head of the case in my bare fingers and turn the mouth of the case in the flame of a propane torch. When my yellow paint of the 650 deg. Tempilaq disapeers I drop the case in a bucket of water. When all the cases are done, I now have soft case mouths that are uniform. (in neck tension on the bullet after loaded.)
[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1007.jpg[/img]

A word of Caution: you never want the Head of the case (the part that has writing on it) to get so hot you can't hold it. If you soften the head of the case you have created a very dangerous as well as troublesome situation. Like at the least shoot the case, even a light load and the primer falls out. And on from there with far greater personal risk/danger.

Cleaning:
And while we are babying our brass, I do what many benchrest shooters have switched too: I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my brass. Vibratory tumblers only "pretty-fy" brass. It does not clean the inside, the flash hole nor the primer pocket. I do not need or care if the outside of my brass is shiny. As a long range shooter, I need the inside, the flash hole and the primer pocket to be clean in the name of uniform combustion & burn, shot to shot. Also all the rattling together of cases in the vibrator peens the cases together work harding them all the more though minimal.

Get you a Ultrasonic cleaner (on the cheap from Harbor Freight.) Throw in your resized/deprimed cases. Cover the cases with distilled water. Then add 1 tablespoon of dish detergent as well as 3-6 tbsp of your favorite liquid brass cleaner. Birchwood-Casey, Lyman Turbo, etc. Any of the liquid products intended to be added into vibratory tumbling media.

Run the U.Sonic Cleaner 20 minutes to an hour depending on the size & amount of cases until they are totally clean on the inside and the primer pockets are all at least 95% clean. Rinse in a 5
gallon (etc.) bucket of distilled water and shake off. After they air dry or you hair dry(er) them your good to go. Tap water contains substances that can cause cartridge brass to oxidize. Stay with distilled.

[edit: after you clean your brass with your preferred manner, if you used Tempilaq to anneal them, you may need to use a bore brush to clean the burned tempilaq out of the case mouths. Make sure your case mouths are clean always in the name of consistent neck tension.]

Sorting:
So we'll continue by sorting all your brass by brand. Then I sort it by weight. Every body talks about Lapua brass being the best, but Winchester brass is at least 96% as good and cheaper.

Sort all your best brass cases at least into 2 grain lots. (All of this batch of cases weigh within 2 grains of each other.)
One grain lots is really splitting hairs. It's up to you if you think the accuracy gains is worth your time & depending your rifle's capabilities. In everything on this subject of hand loading I like to error on the side of overkill.

This let's you know each case has about the same brass content, which tell's us their of the same average dimensions, which means we have the same sized combustion chambers case to case, to give us consistent MV shot to shot.

Uniform all the primer pockets. Here's a dirty, uneven once fired primer pocket:
[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1009.jpg[/img]

Primer pocket uniforming cuts all the primer pockets to exactly the same depth, in the name of consistent and uniform ignition. Here's the tools, a cleaned and uniformed pocket and the bulk of the material that was removed:
[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1010.jpg[/img]

Deburr the flash holes.

The flash hole is the hole in the head of the case that the sparks pass through to ignite the powder. In the manufacturing process this hole is not drilled, it is punched and that generally leaves a burr on the inside, or the whole "flap" of metal that was punched out. This can shield a portion of the powder from the sparks and lead to inconsistent ignition, case to case. A deburring tool does just that- cleans up the powder side of the flash hole for consistent ignition. This particular type tool has the depth preset so the cutter (a common center-drill) can only cut so deep into the flash hole:
[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1011WinCE.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1012.jpg[/img]

All the mail order companies and most local shops carry these simple tools. A primer pocket uniformer can be used after each firing to clean the carbon out of the pocket. But you should at least revisit the primer pockets of your cases every three firings as the brass flows with each shot and they will eventually no longer be uniformed.

Trim to length: upon firing of the loaded round the case greatly softens and inflates like a balloon to fill the chamber of the weapon. This seals the chamber and prevents gas leaks, etc. but with the brass nearing a liquid ("plastic") state it flows with the pressure of the propellant gas. Hence as stated before our primer pockets not staying uniform, the over all length of the case grows and the mouth of the case typically thins. Your reloading manual will give you the nominal "trim to length" measurement of a given cartridge case. So place said case in your case trimmer and trim it back correct? No.

NO!!! We are precision shooters for crying out loud. I have a friend that mows every case he get's his hands on back to minimum length and it gripes me to no end.

Historically & generally speaking the classic ultra accurate cartridges of the Bench Rest enviornment have longer than normal case necks. The typical case neck for a given cartridge is one caliber wide. Example: a 308 Winchester's bullet is a diameter of .308" so therefore the rule of thumb is the mouth of the case should be "about" .308" long minimum. This allows good bullet tension and support so our carefully assembled loaded round's bullet is sitting dead inline with the cases' centerline- which is inline with the centerline of the bore. All this leads to good shooting and smiles. The more we hack back the case mouth the less neck we have to make sure our bullet is held inline. And the benchrest cartridges I mentioned- they have caliber plus neck lengths for this reason.

So what do we do? If the case gets to long, it will engage the rifling at the same time the bullet tries to giving us a wild & very dangerous pressure spike. If we hack it back to bare minimum we may have given room for a little loss of accuracy, especially with rough handling of ammo in the field. But we HAVE TO maintain consistency from case to case for shot to shot.

The answer is to measure the chamber length in your individual rifle and stay trimmed back from that actual number. Small chamber plugs to get that measurement are sold by Sinclair and others.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11241/Case-Gauges-Headspace-Tools

Here is one I whipped out on the lathe yesterday for 30 cal:

[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1014.jpg[/img]

To use a gage like this:
1. thoroughly clean your weapons chamber.
2. take a scrap case and trim it WAY back with your case trimmer, say .050" SHORTER than book spec.
3. Seat you plug gage into the case- long.
4.ease this round into your weapon and fully close & lock the bolt.
5. remove the case gently without bumping the gage. It has hit the end of the chamber and been pushed back into the case by the action of locking the bolt.

Measure the overall length of the case, head of the case to end of the plug and note that measurement somewhere obvious & permanent in regards to loading for this particular rifle. It would probably be a good idea to repeat this measurement three times and average all three readings.
Now until this dimension were to change (barrel removal, etc.) trim your brass just short of this measurment, instead off BOOK trim to length specs.

Once we have our cases all trimmed to a uniform length to our specific rifle we now need to deburr the mouth.

I'm sure anybody that is reloading knows what a deburring tool looks like for handloading, others just do a google search. Deburr the outside of the case just enough to remove the burr and put the slightest bevel on the edge of the case- the most minimal possible. As far as deburring the inside, gently cut a bevel on the inside of the case untill it goes almost full diameter- that is the bevel cuts to the outside edge of the case mouth when looking from the end.

It is next to impossible to photograph but you can see this inside chamfer is cut almost, but not all the way to the outside edge of the case:
[img]http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/TresMonCeret/snipershidech1016.jpg[/img]

This is so that when we seat our precious bullet, the opening of the case mouth of the case does not cut,mar or peel back small portions of the soft bullet jacket.

And last but not least we need to prime our case. Practically every company that handles reloading components sell priming tools. For the wealthier individuals I'd point you towards Sinclair International and those type suppliers. But a good job of priming can be done with lesser priced tools.

The main thing is the tool have as much "feel" of the process as possible. You want to be able to clearly feel the primer bottom out in the primer pocket of the case, so you can keep the primers seated consistently case to case to case. This pre-loads the anvil of the primer the same for each round giving more uniform ignition shot to shot.

Last edited by tresmon; 05/22/10.

-Tres
NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes available.. Please inquire

John 14:6
HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Very nicely done, though much can be accomplished by dumping powder and seating bullet.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done! I learned some things and appreciate the pics and links.

Thanks for taking the time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm depressed and going back to a flintlock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wonderful! Hope you post the balance of your treatise in due course!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice, but future reference, only 10 pictures per post

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Very informative thanks. Would you please elaborate on tumbling contributing to brass hardening.

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Dobetown
Very informative thanks. Would you please elaborate on tumbling contributing to brass hardening.

Brass is opposite steel (basically) when it comes to hardening. Heat hardens steel, heat softens brass.

When you "work" brass, it hardens, and the harder it gets the more brittle it gets as well as less accurate it becomes for the purpose of ammunition.

Stretch it (firing the ammo) compress it (resizing the case) and peening it (impacting it) [they rattle together in a vibratory tumbler] all hardens it.

A handloader seeking even moderate levels of accuracy should anneal the cases at least every fourth firing, if not on 2-3 firings.

Enjoy,
Tres

-Tres
NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes available.. Please inquire

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job.

I have been loading and working on rifles for over 50 years, and I would never have thought of the little gage to measure the length of the neck recess.

You can use a flat based bullet seated backwards to measure throat length.

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

8,9,10 & 11,

Thanks for your kind words & the tips on the FB bullet as well.
Tm

-Tres

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The base of a flat bases bullet is not an square as the gauges that Sinclair sells. I have used a bullet and a Sinclair gauge in the same chamber and there is a few thousants difference. The bullet will work as long as you don't let the cases reach max length with the bullet. The difference in my case prep is that I don't set my die to PFL until the cases get snug to bolt closure. I then measure to the datum line and bump the shoulder no more than two thousants. I realize it probably makes no difference which method one choses, just my way of doing things.Rick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You spent more time putting this post together than I do on case prep.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So now we're going to be seeing Parts 2 - 5 show up?

Nice info.. but why not put it into a PDF and make it available for upload rather than create long posts on multiple sites?

No insult intended, but gotta ask.. is it the attention?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ricksmith
The difference in my case prep is that I don't set my die to PFL until the cases get snug to bolt closure. I then measure to the datum line and bump the shoulder no more than two thousants. I realize it probably makes no difference which method one choses, just my way of doing things.Rick.

Can you get the same results using Redding competition shellholders and adjuting until you don't feel resistance when you close the bolt?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great post. I definitely like the post with detailed pictures. Thanks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two different sets of the competition shell holders, one regular and one mag. I use them mainly for rifles in the same caliber but different headspaces. Important to keep a note with the set of dies indicating which one of the shellholders goes with which rifle. Since I use a Co-Ax press for most of my rifle loading, I just make a small die adjustment. Point I was making is that I don't set my FL die to PFL until the case is snug in the chamber. After one firing the case still is loose in the chamber and not in need of PFL.
Using the competition dies requires you to set the first shellholder and then simply change a shell holder for a different headspace. Several different ideas here just pick the one you feel most comfortable using. They all work.Rick.

T
tresmon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Tedthorn:

The post contains steps I have taken to achieve perfect scores @ 1000 yards. If your happy with the results of YOUR ammo, I'm happy for you as well.

Calhoun:
I have the original docs, but most seem happy to have them on their forum, Especially if moderators choose to sticky them at the top where they stay handy...

Either way, I give the info freely, so no worries.

-Tres

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great information!
Thank you!

"A world without string is chaos."
Lars Smuntz

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man I thought I was bad...

I am happy to see there is someone in the same boat as me...

GOOD JOB

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.