Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
California deer zones - any zone suggestions?

I have 5 preference points this year and am trying to decide which zone to apply for?

Other hunters I know with four points and above got the zones they wanted in last years drawings. Last year I had a Texas deer hunt lined up and just went for the additional point. With funds tighter this year I am planning a 10 day in state camping\hunting trip but living in Ventura County I have little knowledge of which X zones I should go for. I will plan one long weekend pre hunt camping trip to check out which ever zone I get.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated since it will be another four years or so before this opportunity comes around again and want to make the most of it!

Thanks

Ted
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
X3B or the late Doyle Muzzloader.

CrossHair Consulting
www.crosshairconsulting.com
406-439-8512
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll be hunting in Zones D3-D5. I wouldn't recommend them even to JeffO though...the cats have really taken a toll. I didn't even see a doe last year & very minimal sign. It's a damn shame.
We do have some good mountain quail populations & plenty of grey squirrels, which always make the trip enjoyable. I'll mostly be going up to see if I can't luck into a bear while sitting in my favorite saddle...[Linked Image]
This is a pic of the previous years buck...[Linked Image]

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 05/20/10.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If your after the pie in the sky, I'd apply for either the G-3 Goodale Buck Hunt or G-39 Round Valley Late Season Buck Hunt. You might be a bit light on points for those 2 hunts as the G-3 hunt has 35 tags and the G-39 only has 5 tags alloted. 5 points should easily get you X-9A the area around Mammoth Lakes or X12 around Bridgeport. You might be able to pull off either X-5B or X-7B with 5 points.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you want in a deer unit? High success, top trophy quality, high deer density (relative, it's still California), have a place all to yourself, what?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
middlefork miner - nice buck

I hunted D 7,8 or 9 the past four years and saw bucks every trip but all were barely legal size. I always carry a bear tag, I have been close but have yet to pull the trigger.

I hunted the D4\D5 area years ago, beautiful country and saw deer every trip.

tdbob - I will check the G3 \ G39 hunt dates maybe I can get luckly!

If not I will be in a D zone or a B zone wilderness area for 10 days hunting\camping in some beautiful mountains!

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
exbiologist

Decided years ago the a trophy for me is any mature buck and a good time hunting so I am looking for higher density\success but not necessarily a monster..

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, in that case X-3A has the top 5 year average success rate of just under 60%. Deer density at 2.1 per square mile isn't stellar, but only one of the X-zones is significantly better. Bucks are better than average for CA, with 35% 4 points or better. California averages just 23% of the bucks as 4 points or better and with just 16% of the available bucks being harvested, it ranks pretty good there, sex ratio is solid at 31 bucks :100 too.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yosemite Nat. Park would be a good place. When I was there it was thick with deer. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Watch-out for the tourists; they're thick as fleas there too!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The zones mentioned are all pretty good, what with Eastern Sierra and N/E ca. zones doing pretty well. All NICE country up there. PM sent. Tom

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hard to drag out though. laugh

The deer are pretty tame in there. Several I could have grabbed by the tail if I moved slower.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Go to the DFG website and reasearch the various zones. Good maps and few conversations with the unit manager/biologist should point you in the right direction. In general, the "B" zones are for the guy that just wants a buck and the drawing zones are for those that want a better, and/or an easier buck.
I live in D-5 and can tell you that there are few deer in the higher, public lands here. I always see some nice bucks. They walk through my yard and pose for pictures every year. Some preseason scouting will be well worth your time if you have to hunt here. Again, try the recommended areas on the website. Almost all of them are good, and some are much better than others. Don't go too high. Our wilderness areas have very few deer in them. Look for areas that have regrown after a fire or logging and have numerous water sources.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I also have 5 points this year and since I dont have the max I wont apply for g3 unless I draw nevada (hopefully they get their stuff out in time).

If we dont draw then I will split my points with dad and go for an x zone that will remain unnamed which we should draw with the points we have.

All I can suggest is if you are dead set on hunting somewhere in California is study the draw stats and reports from previous seasons.

Some zones have good returns some have lots of tags some dont.

Since it sounds like no matter where you go you will be hunting new to you areas I would suggest going north as there are guides up there for a price more so than the the eastern sierras.

We actually have narrowed our choice down to 2 and have not actually determined what it will be come time.

Good luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way the Nevada draw is tentatively scheduled for May 25th and they told me results will be posted in 48 hours.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I have only one point for Deer, but three for elk and Bighorns, maybe I can get lucky at least and get a cow elk smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.