Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Best method to clean meat off Bear/Whitetail,ect Skull?

I use to throw them in a ant pile, or hang them in a tree for a year. Any other quicker way besides sitting down with a knife and spending hrs picking the meat off? Ive also heard soak in Baking soda?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dermestid beetles do a fantastic job.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a place that will clean your skulls for you for a pretty good price.

http://www.webugwildlifeskulls.com/prices.htm

Here is a place to buy your own dermestid beetles.

http://www.bonesandbugs.com/purchase-dermestid-beetles.html

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm too cheap to use the beetle guy, so I clen the skull as best I can, then boil it. Actually you just want it to simmer, as getting the skull too hot will crack it. It is not for the squeamish though. mtmuley

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have boiled mine in a solution of Sodium Carbonate that I bought from McKenzies Taxidermy Supply. The directions are on the box. http://www.mckenziesp.com/

First you have to clean as much stuff off as you can. Removing the brains and cleaning the cranial cavity is time consuming. Be careful not to boil it too long. You don't want the bones to start falling apart at the joints.

Then I bleached them in a solution of 1/2 cup Clorox in 3 gallons water. Dont leave it in the bleach for more than a few minutes.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good friend of mine just started a business called www.rockymountainbeetleworks.com

Give him a call if you need help with this kind of stuff. He's a hard hunter and a good guy and one of my best friends.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I asked Greenhorn about this a few years ago. He gave me a very good idea about how to do it.

Clean all the big stuff off.
Simmer for awhile.
Clean more crap off.
Repeat simmering/cleaning(beer drinking) until it meets your standards. It will take a long time but it will be worth it.

Simmering...
[Linked Image]

Bob checking progress.
[Linked Image]

Once you get it cleaned up(and becareful around the fragile nose bones/sinus area) you will need to soak it in some of the crap women use to lighten up their hair color. I think a guy wants to use 40% hydrogen peroxide? Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Regardless it works great if you wrap paper towels around the base of the antlers so that the liquid gets up there but not actually on the antler itself.
[Linked Image]

It will take a day or two for the skull to whiten up and should look fairly natural when it's done. I'm not into the super white fake looking, glazy skulls and using the stuff Greenhorn recommended this won't be a problem.

Long story short it takes alot of work to get the skull looking good. I would only do it on a nice critter(or kid's first deer etc..), which reminds me, my little 4x4 from last Fall is still sitting in the garage with the hide on!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I let them rot in the back shed for 3 or 4 years. Don't know what bug eats them, but eventually they get pretty clean and the rest dries up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I soak them in a water filled tub all winter.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leave them out by a red ant den for a while. They don't miss anything.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fastest way is with a pressure washer. Use a coat hanger with a little loop on the end, chucked up in a drill motor to whip the brains up. Then go to the car wash, stand around the corner [it gets nasty at first] and blast the brains out. You can get lots of the other stuff off too but works better if you have simmered it first for about 30 minutes.

The peroxide you want is 40 volume, which is only about no where near 40% peroxide. If you can find food grade peroxide, use it but it is prohibitively expensive in less than 15 gallon barrels.

You can wrap cotton wadding around the bases to wick it up. Keep it off the antlers or they will bleach too.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Country beetle method........stake the skull over a fire ant bed, then stir up the ants and wait a few weeks. Clean skull can then be bleached until white.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The best way to clean skulls is to watch someone else do it!

I spent yesterday afternoon on these 2 winter kills. Nothing like liquid brains pouring out the back of a skull. Whew, you will run gagging.

The biggest tip I know is to let the post peroxided skull soak in the sun afterwards for a day. It really makes a difference.

Sal soda is almost mandatory if you want to get it clean quick enough. I also find that even using Sal Soda it helps to soak Antelope skulls in a warm bucket of Dawn detergent after popping the shealths. They are greasy. I would guess bears are the same but have not been around them much.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I leave 'em in the fork of a tree for a few months. Critters and insects will clean a lot of it off. Then Boil 'em and scrape then do it again.

You can bleach the skull like in the pics above with peroxide, just make sure the base of the antlers don't get in the stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess it comes down to if you want to spend the money having someone else do it or if you have the time save a few bucks by doing it yourself.

I've done all of the above methods and without a doubt having the beetles do it was the most painless. A fellow by the name of ursus21 that hangs around here did a skull for me that turned out beautiful.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lotsa ways to do it, but since the question was the best way...

beetles.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beetles best +3

Pressure washer 2nd best, although usually gives me the drive heaves on an old one.

Boiling in washing soda and borax with either of the above or as the primary treatment. Change the water 2-3 times.

Follow with Peroxide and leave in the sun.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m mostly out of taxidermy these days....

You folks do what works best for you, but I'll tell you my years of experience.

Beetles are the best bet period.

Rotting them off is second best but change the water often enough and don't let it turn red or green on you..... you'll cuss that for sure.

Boiling is NOT a good method, it turns fat to liquid which gets into bone pores and turns it yellow and rancid...

IF you must use hot water, don't let it boil, and if you use sal soda follow the directions or you'll come back to no skull at all.

As to hanging in trees, takes too long for me.... ants I've never ever seen do a job worth a flip, and trust me, here we have big nests of red ants and tons of fire ants, neither will clean a skull worth a flip.

The rotting in water method was the only one accepted by the Denver Museum a number of years back...... if that says anything.

You do have to whiten some after done, either with hair bleach kit that requires heat on the paste for it to work, or soak in Hyd Perox..... I'm trying HP that comes from the drug store lately, very weak but soak it long enough and they come clean nicely so far.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send it to Skulls Unlimited, they've been doing museum quality work for many years and their prices are very reasonable....

Last edited by Deerwhacker444; 05/25/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did the rotting in water trick on a mule deer once. I got a tip off here to put a aquarium heater in with it and it really sped up the process. I used the same stuff Sam did to whiten it. Wife was unhappy with the stinky head in the garage but all in all was pretty easy.

That said the last one I just took to be beetle cleaned.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 50 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,239
Posts18,466,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.