Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I need some recipes for ground venison other than chili or burgers.The wife enjoys my chili but she said she would like something different.

Thanks
Doug

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I do meatloaf, tacos, goolosh (canned corn, tomatoes, beans, etc. thrown in with ground meat), quesadillas, spaghettie, pizza (had some last night), and many others. I'll never purcahse ground beef again more than likely. Simply substitute ground venison with any ground beef with any dish.

I'd highly suggest you pick up a copy of Eileen Clark's (wife of Johnny B on the 'Fire here) wild game cookbook. She has numerous outstanding wild game recipes that I enjoy.

Last edited by GregW; 05/26/10.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sloppy Joes...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For meatloaf, just use a ground beef recipe, and add a couple of glugs of olive oil to keep it from drying out. Hamburger helper if you're in a hurry. Stuffed peppers once the garden gets going. I don't stuff the peppers though, I fry them with the meat, onions and garlic, mix them with the tomato sauce, and top the whole thing with mozz.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shepards pie

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Eileen's meat loaf recipe has never been dry for me and I use 100% venison...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Any thing you can do with beef ground you can do with venison ground...only healthier!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
S
We make a lot of soups out of our ground venison. I just brown it with a little seasoning and throw it in the crock pot with spuds, carrots, kidney beans, canned tomatoes and whatever is in the pantry.

A lot of it goes into tacos, too. Probably half!

AmericanBroomShop

"We have a strong passion for brooms."

www.americanbroomshop.com
Tonasket, Washington
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome to the fire Silverstar!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
S
Thank you Mr. Dvdegeorge. I just got here. Someone told me about this site from our hunting-washington forum. Looks huge. I was looking for a place to introduce myself, but maybe you don't have that here? Looking forward to hearing some stories, and getting some wild game recipes!

AmericanBroomShop

"We have a strong passion for brooms."

www.americanbroomshop.com
Tonasket, Washington
IC B3

srp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A fool uttereth all his mind - Proverbs 29:11
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Make small (1.5" diameter) meatballs.

Sweat some dice onions in a saute pan until translucent, then brown the meatballs.

Add some mushrooms if you like for a couple minutes, then add some gravy mix. Simmer for awhile, just don't let it stick.

Serve over noodles.

Cheap, easy, good, requires no talent or thought.

Paul
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a good one.

Sarmales (Romanian Sour Cabbage Rolls)

Filling:
Brown about 10 strips of diced bacon, a yellow onion, and 2 pounds of your ground venison. Mix this with equal parts cooked brown rice by volume and set aside.

Wrappers:
Cut the core out of one head of cabbage. In a large stock pot of water, add 1 tbsp pickling spice, 1/4 c salt, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add the head of cabbage and boil for about 5 minutes. Disassemble the cabbage, keeping the leaves as large and whole as possible. Put it back into the water just long enough that the leaves are rubbery and pliable, but not mushy (about five minutes at 3,000 feet above sea level). Drain.

Fill:
Roll the ground meat up into the cabbage leaves to make rolls roughly one inch in diameter and three inches long.

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Layer the remaining cabbage in the bottom of a baking dish so that you have about 1/4 inch of coverage (if you run out don't worry about it.)

Evenly arrange your rolls in layers over the rest of the cabbage. Lay a few strips of raw bacon across your rolls (4).

Sauce:
One quart of home canned tomatoes in sauce or two 14 ounce cans of diced canned tomatoes.
add:
1/2 cup white wine, and one tablespoon smoked strong paprika.

Pour your sauce over the rolls, just until they are covered (add a little water if you come up short.)

Bake in the oven until the sauce has been reduced to about halfway down the top layer of rolls. (~ 2 hours)

Serve with sour cream.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Hamburger Steak with ground venison.

We like ours mixed 50/50 with lean ground beef. Mash out some patties as thin as you can possibly make them. Then chop some onion very fine. Take one patty and sprinkle with the onion and a little garlic salt and course ground black pepper. Take a second patty, place it on top of first patty and seal the edges. Grill the steak patties and serve with brown gravy and mash potatoes. A family favorite.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
ground venison makes killer burritos.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just substitute ground venison for ground beef in almost any recipe. Sometimes I mix in a small amount of high fat content beef, pork or bacon (sometimes even breakfast sausage) if I'm worried about dryness. I'll have to give olive oil a try next time. Meatloaf and Shepard's Pie are family favorites, but just plain ole burgers are great. I prefer fine diced venison instead of ground for chili and coarsely diced for stew. Just lightly brown first.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 63 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.