M
heard you could use 7x57 ammo in a .275 rigby in a pinch. wink

BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Strictly speaking the "military mausers" were not heat treated. Rather, they were case hardened which consists of creating a very hard "skin" on the surface of the 8620 steel used. The skin is at least 5 thousandths thick and may be 10 or 15. This created a very slick surface which wears well but maintains a maleable core. Considering the ammo available and battle conditions, the receivers were designed to bulge rather than blow. Also the std pressures were 48,000 CUP and under, which did not require as deep a hard skin as more modern ctgs.

The comment that the pre WW2 actions were military junk displays a total lack of knowledge re mausers. Actually the pre war actions were some of the very best ever made if not the very best. They were produced on the same productions lines were the sporting rifles were made. They were all nearly perfect in fit and finish. The Germans had strict controls on the number of firearms which they could produce imposed as a result of the terms of the end of WW1. So they built new factories and trained a large number of gunmakers. The rifles produced prior to large scale increases in production were gone over by about 3 or 4 times the number of men actually needed.

Of course some of the actions seen today have been abused but there have never been better quality mausers made ever, even today. The FN's comml actions are harder but they do not compare to the best of the pre WW2 "military" rifles.

Last edited by RinB; 06/24/10.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
This is my 7X57 Mexican mauser.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is my favorite of all my customs.
Butch

Sweet! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is pretty. Doubt I would take it out hunting though.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
RinB,
Right on and a good post...

IMO the Mauser action is the premier action for a custom rifle. I like the Chilean 1935, the small rings such as the G33-40 or 1935 German Customs version of the G33-40, and there are the 1908s and Mexicans. Lots of others but these are my favorites..I test and action before I soften and reharden it..Some don't need it, as Jack Belk says hardening some Mausers is akin to painting a tin barn, it serves no purpose..Not sure thats right and its an argueable point, but I have never had a Mauser I used develope headspace or blow up..some were hardened and some were not.

The best Mauser ever built? The Commercial Brno mod. 21 and 22 hands down. they don't need customizing.

I will have a pretty nice Mexican 7x57 for sale on the classified today or tomorrow..I took it in trade and its pretty nice for a hunting rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OUTCAST
Originally Posted by RinB
Using the way back machine... In the 1970's there were some mauser 98 type action being made in spain and imported in the US. There were some issues with case hardening. They would fit the price point of the Herter's rifle. Buyer beware.

I believe those were sold under the name Santa Barbra. It may have been the same action sold by Herter's on the J9 rifle.

O

The Herters I picked up is fortunately marked as a CZ. Wasn't aware there were problems with the Santa Barbra heat treat though, guess I got lucky.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I realize this is a pretty old thread but it's the best one I've found regarding various Mauser types so I'll tag my question on here and maybe someone else will enjoy reading this one like I just did.

I was looking for info on the FN commercial mausers because I just found a nice one in 270 for sale locally for $449 but they already offered to go $400 plus tax. I'm trying to get it for $400 out the door but might cave and take their offer which would be about $450 out the door.

At this point, I can't provide info like model, date, proofs etc but can describe it somewhat.

Metal condition is good, wood is good with no cracks but the finish is spotty in places. Checkering is very fine and well done with an interesting border line about 1/8"out from the rest of the pattern. In the grip panel area, the bottom edge near the grip cap has a distinctive row of circles just inside the border that are about BB size.

Bore looks really excellent and the action is slick and solid. The trigger is single stage, crisp and about 2-3 pounds if I had to guess.

Oddly, there appeared to be no tear sight and no provision for one. It has a 2 piece Weaver Scope base but no scope. I suspect it may have been intended to have a rear peep. There were two holes on the right side rear receiver ring about half hidden under the wood. I guess you'd have to remove wood to install the peep?

Any info or"enabling comments" will be appreciated.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
After having messed around with a lot of Mausers over the decades, I'll start by saying that Jlin222's long post is a very good overview.

Now I'll provide my own opinions, based on my experiences:

1) It's silly to use anything except a 98 Mauser action.

2) It's also silly to use anything a commercial action such as FN or Mark X these days--unless you just want to spend the money in order to say you have a sporter on the 1909 Arentine action, for instance.

When military actions were really cheap this was different, but these days a good (no pitting, desirable model) military 98 action can cost as much as an FN or Mark X, and you've only just started. It makes more sense to buy an action that's already scope-ready, and may even have a decent trigger and safety.

While FN's are more finely-finished than Mark X's, it doesn't take much to polish up the problem areas of a Mark X (generally the slot in the tang).

Plus, an older Mark X has a good hinged floorplate, and a decent adjustable trigger. You may or may not want to replace the trigger-safety with a Winchester Model 70 style safety on the bolt shroud.

Many FN actions, on the other hand, have non-hinged floorplates and pretty funky triggers. Both work OK but aren't as nice as the Mark X hinged floorplate or trigger.

Very often you can find complete Mark X rifles for $350 or less, sometimes even in 7x57. The Mark X barrels were pretty darn good, and if you find a 7x57 it would probably shoot very well.

Since when is spending money silly? No luggage rack on a hearse best I can tell. Also, I have a very nice 7x57 Swede built by Jim Wisner that, well, seems near ideal and little more than folks are spending on their fantastic synthetic wonders... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the lightning cuts on a g.33/40

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Not sure if this is a 7x57 or 7mm rem mag, or 7mm something else ( question to the seller should resolve that), but here is a Mark x in 7mm something.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=393530783

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
10+1 capacity,ummm don't think so. And the seller does not list caliber,I would avoid buying that as the seller is clueless.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bump for a good read.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my first Mauser, 7x57, when I was 14 at auction for $10 in 1965.

Now I have ~ 15 different types of Mausers.

[Linked Image]

Here I am sporterizing 1903 Turkish Mausers

[Linked Image]
Brazilian VZ24 7x57 Mausers

[Linked Image]

Here I am sporterizing a Brazilian VZ24 7x57

[Linked Image]
Brazillian 1908 Mausers

[Linked Image]
Sporterizing a 1903 Turk Mauser from 8x57mm to 223 Remington

[Linked Image]
Me developing a steel bedding process for 98 Mausers that uses standard bottom metal as the front pillar.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DaveBulla
I realize this is a pretty old thread but it's the best one I've found regarding various Mauser types so I'll tag my question on here and maybe someone else will enjoy reading this one like I just did.

I was looking for info on the FN commercial mausers because I just found a nice one in 270 for sale locally for $449 but they already offered to go $400 plus tax. I'm trying to get it for $400 out the door but might cave and take their offer which would be about $450 out the door.

At this point, I can't provide info like model, date, proofs etc but can describe it somewhat.

Metal condition is good, wood is good with no cracks but the finish is spotty in places. Checkering is very fine and well done with an interesting border line about 1/8"out from the rest of the pattern. In the grip panel area, the bottom edge near the grip cap has a distinctive row of circles just inside the border that are about BB size.

Bore looks really excellent and the action is slick and solid. The trigger is single stage, crisp and about 2-3 pounds if I had to guess.

Oddly, there appeared to be no tear sight and no provision for one. It has a 2 piece Weaver Scope base but no scope. I suspect it may have been intended to have a rear peep. There were two holes on the right side rear receiver ring about half hidden under the wood. I guess you'd have to remove wood to install the peep?

Any info or"enabling comments" will be appreciated.

You're looking at an FN Deluxe, I believe. The funny little circles on the bottom border of the checkering give it away. I had one, but never fired it and sold it to a gunsmith that worked with my son at Gander Mountain. The stock on mine had been relieved for the receiver sight and then filled again with a little chunk of walnut; not a perfect color match, but an excellent fit.

Like all FNs, the Deluxe is an excellent rifle. As far as I know, all were made with the "H" collar in the breech, which makes them easier to manufacture, but compromises the gas-handling ability a bit, and annoys purists. Personally, I'll take all the FNs I can get, whichever collar they've got. Currently I've got two: a "C" collar 1948 .270, and a Sako High Power .30/06 built sometime in the late '50s or early '60s that has an "H" action, as all of them built after 1948 or so do.

If you like the rifle, get it and refinish the stock and/or metal as you wish. They're not especially rare or even valuable as the current crop of shooters thinks they're too heavy, have slow lock-times, and in general are obsolete and not suitable for shooting the wings off fairies at 1000 yards. That's okay; leaves more for me. They're great bargains and I see them on Gunbroker for not much more than the much plainer, but also excellent J.C.Higgins rifles sold by Sears and the equally solid, if sometimes a bit rougher, Zastavas imported by various outfits.

$450 is truly a steal.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a Mauser 99. It used small ring mounts, but has a three lug bolt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There's a lot of information on Mausers in this blog!
I own a couple of the books mentioned. I've had several Mausers. My first rifle was a 8mm which was rebarreled with. 6mm Sharon barrel. That rifle was the only rifle I've owned with a failure to extract. The extractor pulled the brass of the base of the cartridge.
The next Mauser was a 7mm that I reamed out to 280. It had a distinctive double diameter neck. I was young and wasn't aware of the different specs. I had a Romney trigger and after market stock. I sold (gave) the rifle to a friend when a buddy dropped an elk in its tracks. ($100). It was his first rifle.
I had another action that a friend of a friend screwed up with a grinding wheel. It went in the trash.
I now own a 33/34. Someone did a polish on the action that removed much of the lettering etc otherwise it looks like a military rifle- original stock, trigger, sights etc. it will stay that way.

I'm neither a Mauser hater or lover after my experiences. I own 700's, 722's, 721's, 70's, 7's, Springfields, 77's and a Ruger 416 Rigby.

My least favorite is a 7mm RM - a Ruger Red Pad 77. The stock is an extremely poor design. I'm not sure which is my favorite of the others. I like the 70's and the 700's.

The most accurate are the 700's, but the 70's are good too.

I'm glad for differences.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
mausers are over rated, but people still build rifles and spend an insane amount of money making an old beat up military mauser action into an expensive rifle, to me they are insane, why anyone would take for instance a VZ 24 that has been road hard and put up wet, sloppy bolt when opened, scrubbed receiver ring by some overzealous communist and try to make it into something, its polishing a turd, IMO.

the nicest mausers at least IMO are the huskies and the browning safari's these guns are normally in excellent shape, the bolts not sloppy ala VZ 24 and beat up military actions....

I know it's from 6 years ago, but dammit I like my "polished turd" VZ-24...

[Linked Image]

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Even if I never fired it, I'd always want one around just to look at. Nothing in bolt guns compares to all that lovely machined, forged steel.

Springfields are a bit prettier, maybe. Might have to pick one of those up someday.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Seems like finding an old beat up pre 64 model 70 would be the way to go. You would have a much better chance of building a rifle you could get your money out of.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
mausers are over rated, but people still build rifles and spend an insane amount of money making an old beat up military mauser action into an expensive rifle, to me they are insane, why anyone would take for instance a VZ 24 that has been road hard and put up wet, sloppy bolt when opened, scrubbed receiver ring by some overzealous communist and try to make it into something, its polishing a turd, IMO.

the nicest mausers at least IMO are the huskies and the browning safari's these guns are normally in excellent shape, the bolts not sloppy ala VZ 24 and beat up military actions....

You can't make this stuff up.

Only on here can you find it......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.