Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The more I use my truck as a truck...the more I want an 8' box.

It wouldn't fit in the garage tho.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by elelbean
There are obvious trade-offs between the 2. Which one do you guys prefer?

As I real trucker I usually pull a 53 foot trailer, 13' 6" high. grin

Oh, now I get your question! blush Eight foot is the only way to go if you have a farm or large property. The shorty is OK for city life but nothing but a toy for country life.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JeffP40
But then, he doesn't have three girls and a very large wife either.

Now you see if you had a full length truck with full length bed, you would have to park farther out in the parking lot of the resturants, and the girls and very large wife would have to walk off some of that extra large both going and coming. grin

Full length beds are a problem in town but out in the country or traveling across country they are great!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
8 foot. If that makes the truck too long for your four wheeling just get a little Jeep & have a buddy with an 8 foot bed haul your chit.. cool

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Scott F
Eight foot is the only way to go if you have a farm or large property. The shorty is OK for city life but nothing but a toy for country life.

I must have it all wrong then, or I'm just getting by to get by...I've never quite considered 'old gray' a toy.. smile
I guess it has something to do with the fact that my truck is now 32 years young and I won't part with it (although I've had some ridiculous offers to). Our home is on a large piece of property plus we have my FIL's farm now, plus the properties in Canada, and I've been able to get by with this old truck, an '02 Excursion diesel, and a variety of trailers here. We still have an old but nice '88 Suburban 4x4 in Canada I bought when it was a year old (we have a new 16' dump trailer up there).

I guess if I had the money, I'd go out and buy a new F250 Super Duty long box, but since I don't, and I'm a simple man, I'll live with old stuff and make what I do have work. I kind of like no-payment living. wink

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am a firm believer in "work with what you have". If it works for you and best of all, has no payments than good for you. I have an eight foot bed on my old Ford F150. I bought it used and have used it hard. If I were to replace it I would be handicapped here on the farm with a short bed. We fill the old pickup from front to back, floor to canopy top every week for our trip to Saturday Market. It hauls hay, fertiliser and countless other full loads. I would love a new F350 but would never make payments so the old truck will just have to keep on working. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm sure enough not a city guy,but my last truck a 98 dodge,I got with a short bed, club cab. That is not a full 4 door. The whole truck is about the same length as a 8 ft bed,std cab.
My last truck before that was a extended cab Ford,8 ft box.You couldn ot doa U turn on a 6 lane highway. Put a 20 ft gooseneck stock trailer on it and you needed 6 acres to turn it around. My present truck with a gooseneck,now I can manuver around and get my trailer in and out of tight places and when I do have to take my truck to town,it is easier to get around.
If I am hauling anything,I usually am pulling a 22 ft flat bed or the 20 ft gooseneck stock trailer

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would not know about pulling any kind of trailer. grin
My every day truck.
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
4 door, short box; I use a trailer when necessary.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
8' bed for me. I'd get a 10' if they made one.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I too like to "offroad" as much as I can. For me the short bed works best, and there is nothing that doesn't fit in a short box that I haul, so it's better for me. Motorcycles, wood, camping gear, even my nine-foot pontoon boat fits fine. So, I wouldn't gain anything with an 8' box over the shorter one. BTW, the Ford has a 6.75' box, so the 8' box is just over 1' longer (not much difference).

For me, a F350 Super Cab 4x4 (not crew cab) with short box is about as good as it would get for me (once the kids are old enough to move out). Right now I've got a crew cab short box and it's too long for offroad, and the 6.75' bed is about perfect for a compact truck camper.

eta: what can a 8' bed accomplish that a 6.75' bed not accomplish? Does closing the tailgate on plywood make you feel good, or is there something about it that having the tailgate down doesn't do? Really, I understand you can haul 16" more whatever, but what is it that you're hauling that would fall out the back of the truck (lumber isn't it if you're buying 8' lumber) with the 6.75' bed.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I live in town, and about the only things I haul are stuff for shooting matches, and deer in the fall. I don't even drive a full-sized pickup any more, a Frontier is all I need. I have plenty of room in the extended cab for me and my "stuff" mostly, and the across-the-bed toolbox handles most of the other "stuff", and still leaves room for deer and whatever other bulky stuff a single guy might haul around.
It parks "good", which is important here.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
293 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.