Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi I am a new member. I have been looking around for a new Frog Gig. I have made a few myself in the past, rough looking but did the job and now I want to get something a little better. I have seen lots that look pretty good for about $20 but then I came across one on Classicairboats web site for $34. Its called a lightning strike gig it looks awesome but I wanted to see if anyone else has used this before I shell out the money.

Thanks for any help anyone could give me about this gig.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Swampmonkey; 06/02/10.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about a Frog gig, but iffin' yer willin', I can git you a gig with this guy here named Ingwe. I figgered if you were willin to be a frog you'd be willin' to dress up like a sheep. "Sheep gig".

Ingwe likes that. He's from Montaaannaaaa. grin

Welcome to the fire. laugh

fish head

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heh, heh, heh.....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've used a sure enough gig (3 or 4 prong) for many years, and also a "grab" for a few outings. since i clean my frogs once i return home, i prefer a 4 prong gig on a 12' bamboo pole or a piece of conduit. if you're gonna clean them the next morning, you gotta keep them alive, so a grab of some sort (i have just used my hands many times) is a must. you should be able to locate a decently built prong gig from numerous web sites. i buy mine at a local hardware store, but i live in farming country and gigs are still somewhat popular.

i looked at the gig you mentioned on classicairboats. while i'm sure it will work, it doesn't look too wide, at least not as wide as a good 4 prong gig, and the prongs are probably note as thick (strong). but i bet it will get it done if you do your part. good luck with the frogs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beware of the smiling goat. He's disturbed.

Just a little advice for a newbe.

fish head

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by fish head
Beware of the smiling goat. He's disturbed.

Just a little advice for a newbe.

fish head

Yeah, you're much better off taking advice from a talking fish.

S
OP Offline
S
hotsoup, do you use a pitchfork type frog and fish gig or one like this lightning strike gig? If you use one like this one how much wider is yours? I always made mine out of conduit so my tines where pretty close maybe inch or inch and a half apart.

Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hello & welcome! I like the spear gigs better than the grabber gigs, but the grabbers are the only legal ones in Texas now. You know they'll eat plastic worms like crazy huh?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
OP Offline
S
plastic worms are not as fun as the spear though!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I used to gig several thousand pig frogs and bull frogs every year when I lived in Florida in the 1970's. I preferred to make my own gig out of a medium size cane pole and four 7/0 - 10/0 stainless steel offshore trolling hooks. I heated the hooks with a torch and bent them straight. I then used thread wrappings to attach them to the end of the pole. The wraps around the hooks were smeared with epoxy so the whole end was nice and tight. The gig was light, strong, and quite deadly.

I gigged every Thursday night for 13 months as part of a scientific study. We went back to the Zoology Department after we were finished and put the frogs in a refrigerator until we could process them the next morning. Cooling them down kept almost all of them alive so we could take the legs for human consumption.

We also grabbed a bunch of the pig frogs with our bare hands.

Occasionally we would catch river frogs with a fly on a fly rod. We never tried it with other types of frogs but imagine it would work. It was quite sporting.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What he said.

Listen to Notropis. He's the resident expert frog gigger. wink

fish head

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I found long ago that the surest way to get bullfrogs was to dangle a bare, number two or number four treble hook in front of them. They'll go after it with their mouth and both front legs. When they do, up they go, right into the boat.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
OP Offline
S
This has all been great talk! And Funny! But has anyone used this gig?

[Linked Image]

S
OP Offline
S
I may try the treble hook!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Swamp....do yourself a HUGE favor, log onto www.southernairboats.com and get signed up there, then ask there, they gig frogs by the millions probably and I hear them talk gigs all the time...

I just have no access( that I know of) here in TX for the airboat and to learn frogs so I have no clue...

I hope to eventually learn about flounder but that will probably be outlawed before I get that far....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
OP Offline
S
rost, thanks for the tip. I am going to do that. But still this thread was fun. So if anyone else has used this gig or has any good frogging info keep it going!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry, haven't used that particular rig, but it looks cool! I used to use a 4-prong gig years ago, but haven't gigged in a while due to scarcity of big bulls.

One word of advice: what ever gig you decide to use, NEVER, EVER gig a 5' Cottonmouth 6 inches from the tail! He will come up the handle after you, and even though you have an 8' pole and your hands are 2' out of striking range, your brain will not process this fact, and all hell will break loose.

Please don't ask me how I know this. grin

Last edited by Gadfly; 06/01/10.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jadfly
Sorry, haven't used that particular rig, but it looks cool! I used to use a 4-prong gig years ago, but haven't gigged in a while due to scarcity of big bulls.

One word of advice: what ever gig you decide to use, NEVER, EVER gig a 5' Cottonmouth 6 inches from the tail! He will come up the handle after you, and even though you have an 8' pole and your hands are 2' out of striking range, your brain will not process this fact, and all hell will break loose.

Please don't ask me how I know this. grin

edited by Jadfly (22 minutes 37 seconds ajo)

Best jig I ever had giging frojs was with 22 rim fire rifle, an old rollinj block rij.

course that's illejal, so I don't talks 'bout it... much... let alone well... joo know what I mean?

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Swampmonkey, That is a nice looking gig. It looks like a very high-tech version of the one I build. I bet it would work very well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my buddy has the state record flounder with a gig. forgot the weight but it was 30 something inch's. he also several other state records including blacktip shark and scallop hammerhead on rod and reel

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 31 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.