Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll get some pics up shortly, but I've got a like new (5 years old) 16" Circle Y park & trail saddle. Just got it a couple months ago and have probably rode 5-6 hours in it.

Only mark on it I think is where my other mare got me a little to close to the rail and scuffed the stirrup. I had more wear to it in my first couple rides than it had prior to me buying it.

It has a 7" gullet (FQHB) bars, rough out fenders. Deeply and very nice tooled leather.

Probably one of the most comfortable saddles I've sat in for an everyday saddle, but it's not fitting the horse I need it to fit frown

Think I'm either going to have to go a custom route or I found an Orthoflex older saddle I might try out. It fits a few of our horses wonderfully, but I need something to fit my trail horse and need to find something by the end of June.

700.00 plus actual shipping

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
cal74 What is making your horses back not like the saddle? Is he kidney sore? I am a saddle maker and always interested in why certain saddles don't fit.
Morris

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you can, I'd like to see the horse with and without the saddle, plus a front close-up of how the forks fit.

I'm looking for a saddle to fit a couple high-withered horses.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about the delayed response, not used to checking this thread

Wild West... Can't recall offhand her pedagree, but she's a working bred horse. About 15'3" and very well put together. Think she's 6 this year (time flys) Decent withers, but right below them is well muscled. My mom's got a gelding that's built similar.

Saddles pinching her I'd say about 4" down and just slightly behind her withers. I've tried numerous pad/blanket combinations. We've got about 4 different styles of pro choice pads, one gel pad, etc. Nothing we have is the cheap crap, been around horse in one way or another all my life.

My step-dad has a Benton Moore (spelling?) that fits her, but it's his saddle. We've got 2-3 different Courts saddles I've tride and a RS training saddle that fits her a little better, but still not perfect.

She doesn't necessarily show any displeasure, but the poor fit is obvious and if you work her I've scene blisters develop.

Within a week or so I should have an original Orthoflex here to try on her, if it doesn't fit I can send it back and only be out shipping.

Heading to the Black Hills in a month to go riding and we put on 25-30 miles a day, so I'm hoping I can come up with something that fits well or I'll probably end up bringing a different horse. Just sold my best alternative yesterday though.

Ironbender.. I'll get some pics, although I think a local friend might be interested? I really like this saddle and it's what I've been using on my show mare for practice lately and I've been riding a Hollywood Dun it 3 year old and have been using it on her.

Like it because it's so light and has a comfortable seat.

Wish I had a money tree to just go the full custom route and keep my extras. Can't afford a new/used different one and keep this or I have a Dale Fredricks saddle roping saddle that I really like and may sell it?

I took pics of the saddle yesterday, but will take pics of it and the horse in question this evening weather permitting.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ironbender.. I'll get some pics, although I think a local friend might be interested?

Thanks. If you can sell it locally, go for it!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Didn't have a chance to put it on any of the horses last night, lovely 40 mph winds and the horses were put out by the time I got down there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's two horses it fits very well.
Bay mare is 10 years old, stands just shy of 15'3"
Buckskin is 3 years old, guess she's probably around 15 hands now?
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/cal74/Saddle/HPIM0447.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/cal74/Saddle/HPIM0446.jpg[/img]

Here's my trail horse that it does not fit. 15'3", but very muscular across the back. As mentioned, it isn't this saddle really but how she's built in general as I've had probably 10 grand worth of different saddles on her this year.

[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/cal74/Saddle/HPIM0450.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/cal74/Saddle/HPIM0453.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/cal74/Saddle/HPIM0452.jpg[/img]

Few of the other ponies. Rode the gray mare a few weeks ago and it fit her very nicely as well.
[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e12/cal74/Saddle/HPIM0457.jpg[/img]

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The saddle maker above could probably tell you best, I am no expert, but I do have a gelding that is built similar, with a good wither on him. FQHB don't fit him either. Haven't had blisters but can tell he is "irritated".
I would try semi qtr horse bars, or a deep seated wade type roping saddle, A frame. I also am switching to a one inch thick cutback felt pad. Less compression over time and should last forever. More sweat wicking.
Too bad that is 16", I am looking for a saddle for my colt.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The saddle maker above could probably tell you best, I am no expert, but I do have a gelding that is built similar, with a good wither on him. FQHB don't fit him either. Haven't had blisters but can tell he is "irritated".
I would try semi qtr horse bars, or a deep seated wade type roping saddle, A frame. I also am switching to a one inch thick cutback felt pad. Less compression over time and should last forever. More sweat wicking.
Too bad that is 16", I am looking for a saddle for my colt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ole "Bucky" looks awesome and I was thinkin he mighta been a "Dun it".. I am looking at one thats almost identical to him except has a Star. He's out of a Rawhide stud and a Dun It mare... He has a HUGE stop on him and will flip a BIG steer ifn you aint careful...

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk
Ole "Bucky" looks awesome and I was thinkin he mighta been a "Dun it"..

She's a mare, but yes she's outta "Hollywood Dun It". Can't remember what they called her, but I named her "Holly" after one of my nieces who loves the horses.

She was started reining, and is going great. We don't push horses much until their four, but she's got a real nice stop on her and a very willing personality.

Anyways... Saddle is on it's way to Alabama and I've got an older original "Ortho Flex" roping saddle on it's way from Missouri. If it doesn't fit, than I'm only out shipping.

Did ride in a friend of mines saddle last week, can't recall the brand but it fit her well and there's a dealer not to far from here where she got hers.

Headed out to the Black Hills in three weeks for 10 days and need to find something by that time.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.