-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After the thread over in the deer section about deer in Nevada I thought I would post these pictures up. My good friend Greg Krogh of Mogollon Rim Outfitters guided hunters to these two giant archery bucks last season in Nevada. The first picture is a live shot taken through his optics. Its blurry but it doesnt matter, you can tell that its a world class typical! Greg found this deer and stayed on him for quite a while before the season

[Linked Image]

His hunter ended up killing this deer on the second day of the hunt if I'm not mistaken. The buck grosses right around 215" and if it didnt have the 5" cheater point it would have been the new world record velvet buck. As it is, it still nets 201".

[Linked Image]

To cap the week off, Greg went out with his good friend Pat Loescher and they killed this 218" gross buck the next day, The bases are gnarly and the mass is unreal. Pat is a great guy, he hunts his tail off and I couldnt be happier for him.

[Linked Image]

All in all, it was a hell of a week of mule deer hunting. I almost packed up and went out there for a few days but just didnt have the time. I am pissed that I missed it! I was in Texas going to watch another friend pitch his last game for the Boston Red Sox. Both guys are good friends but I probably should have gone to Nevada grin

Drummond

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Drummond: Geezzz.........WOW! Thanks for posting those.That's a huge accomplishment taking MD bucks of that size with archery gear.Glad for your friends,as they deserve a big Atta Boy!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes, really great bucks.
I've noticed, for sometime now, that alot of archery hunters are really getting into the really big elk and deer. That didn't used to be the case. But with the rifle tags being very limited in the quality areas, apparently the really dedicated and very skillful hunters have learned to go for the much easier to get archery tags.
I take my hat off to such hunters. Congratulations, guys. E

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Yes, really great bucks.
I've noticed, for sometime now, that alot of archery hunters are really getting into the really big elk and deer. That didn't used to be the case. But with the rifle tags being very limited in the quality areas, apparently the really dedicated and very skillful hunters have learned to go for the much easier to get archery tags.
I take my hat off to such hunters. Congratulations, guys. E

I think its a combination of equipment getting better and better every year, the fact that the archery and muzzleloader seasons being in prime times and people getting frustrated with the crowds on the rifle hunts.

I spend a lot of time in certain areas of CO during archery and muzzleloader seasons and you would be amazed at some of the deer you can see that havent been bothered.

Greg and I were in one area of Colorado a few years back and it was simply amazing the numbers of really big deer we were seeing. This was the year before the big winter kill and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before in terms of numbers of really big deer. The next year we were in there and saw first hand how bad the winter kill was, areas where we had seen 20 bucks in a basin would have 3 or 4. Some area we could find deer didnt even have a doe. It was really sad to see how decimated that particular herd was. It was late summer and the deer were incredibly visible so it was a fair comparison from one year to the next. A friend drew a tag in there this year so I am excited to see if its rebounded at all

Drum

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by huntsonora

I think its a combination of equipment getting better and better every year, the fact that the archery and muzzleloader seasons being in prime times and people getting frustrated with the crowds on the rifle hunts.

I don't get why the give the prime times to archery and muzzleloaders.

IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn those bucks are HUGE. I doubt if Chuck Adams ever shot one that big. smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great bucks, I love the beams on that last buck.

Is Randy Ulmer hunting that unit again this year?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Greg is a stud.
A friend killed a nice 360 Arizona bull with him last year.
My friend is a veteran big game hunter with many many trophy animals under his belt and he remarked on Greg's keen eyesight.
He has exceptional ability and hunts exceptional areas.
One of the best muley & elk guides out there IMO.

BTW Drum, having just been rejected by Nevada for deer this post is rather painful.
Thanks...
blush

Last edited by Salmonella; 06/01/10.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Greg is a stud.
A friend killed a nice 360 Arizona bull with him last year.
My friend is a veteran big game hunter with many many trophy animals under his belt and he remarked on Greg's keen eyesight.
He has exceptional ability and hunts exceptional areas.
One of the best muley & elk guides out there IMO.

I have had the good fortune to hunt alongside some of the best hunters in the west. I have learned a lot from all of them. That being said, I cant say I have EVER hunted with anybody like Greg, his ability to find trophy animals on public ground is quite remarkable. His eyes are rediculous and his skill in glassing is as good as anybody out there.

I dont know if this will make a lick of sense to anybody that reads it I know guys that are great hunters but they arent killers. I know great hunters that couldnt guide their way out of a neighborhood grocery store and I know great guides that would never kill an animal if they themselves had the tag. Greg is the whole package, the guy is a fantastic hunter that almost broke the velvet world record himself a number of years back. He is an unbelievable guide that year in, year out, helps his clients knock some of the biggest public animals in the dirt. I wont say he's the best out there but I doubt there are any guides out there that are any better than him

Damn, after rereading that he owes me grin

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW!!!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WOW is right.....nice work to Greg K, and thanks for posting those giants Drummond.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin

The North American Model of Game management is designed to get the masses to pay for great hunts for the elites.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

The North American Model of Game management is designed to get the masses to pay for great hunts for the elites.

Actually, I think that archery and muzzleloader seasons are in "prime times" are due to the fact that they are deemed "primitive" weapons. Whether or not they are indeed "primitive" with all of the new technological advancements in recent years is debatable for sure.

As for the masses paying for great huntes for the elite, I disagree. These deer in this thread were killed on public ground where anybody could apply and hunt. While hunting is big business the fact remains that some of the very best hunting in the world is on public ground. I know guys that consistantly harvest "trophy" animals year in and year out on public ground in areas that are not known for big animals. They do a lot of research and spend many hours in the field in the offseason to know it as good as they can. They are guys of average means and still get it done

Drum

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This was the year before the big winter kill and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before in terms of numbers of really big deer. The next year we were in there and saw first hand how bad the winter kill was

Was the severe kill mostly in the mountains, or did it include the eastern plains?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StrayDog
This was the year before the big winter kill and it was unlike anything I had ever seen before in terms of numbers of really big deer. The next year we were in there and saw first hand how bad the winter kill was

Was the severe kill mostly in the mountains, or did it include the eastern plains?

It was in the mountains in certain areas. It would have been December07-March08 when we got dumped on

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You have not looked into the expense of applying year after year for tags in the west have you.

Actually, I think that archery and muzzleloader seasons are in "prime times" are due to the fact that they are deemed "primitive" weapons. Whether or not they are indeed "primitive" with all of the new technological advancements in recent years is debatable for sure.

As for the masses paying for great huntes for the elite, I disagree. These deer in this thread were killed on public ground where anybody could apply and hunt. While hunting is big business the fact remains that some of the very best hunting in the world is on public ground. I know guys that consistantly harvest "trophy" animals year in and year out on public ground in areas that are not known for big animals. They do a lot of research and spend many hours in the field in the offseason to know it as good as they can. They are guys of average means and still get it done

Drum

You have not looked at the expense of applying for tags year after year in the west have you? Or,the way guides get tags others can not get. There are many regulatory tricks that lead to it being a system for the wealthy and a money pit for the average guy.

Last edited by siskiyous6; 06/03/10.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

You have not looked at the expense of applying for tags year after year in the west have you? Or,the way guides get tags others can not get. There are many regulatory tricks that lead to it being a system for the wealthy and a money pit for the average guy.

I am well aware of the costs associated with out of state tags but I fail to see how that benefits the rich. Non-Resident tags cost the same for everybody. Even if you purchase a landowner voucher you still have to purchase your hunting license. There is no such thing as a perfect system but I feel that overall its pretty fair to anybody that wants to hunt

The non-resident tag fees basically support our various fish and game agencies and ultimately benefit our wildlife. I am not a rich man but I would be willing to even pay a little more if it the extra money would go directly to programs to benefit our overall herd health.

As for the "average guy getting screwed" arguement, that should be discussed on another thread but I'm all for a friendly debate on the subject if you would like to start one.

Drum

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, heck of a buck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.