Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
After being around here for a while one takes note of people who are in favor of running turrets on big game rigs. I've spoken with SU and Scenar about it a fair bit and have a fair understanding of what they've done with them.

But, what I would like to hear from the rest of the folk who use them is about their real life experiences with turrets on big game at longish range.

For the sake of setting a range where long range begins I'm only really interested in hearing about kills on big game past 400 yds.

So, if you've personally taken big game past 400 yds using turrets please tells us about it. Theres lots of promoters of the concept so I would imagine that we'll have plenty of good stories to read about the animals they've taken with them etc.

Side note, I picked 400 yds as a starting point cause by my way of thinking it's incredibly easy to take game at least to 400 with most cals without turrets.

So tell us about it boys/galz

Thx

Dober

(ciao, I'm heading out for bruins)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run them on all my rifles, big and small. There is nothing like turrets on a fast twist .22-250 shooting 75 grain pills at 3,100 fps. I can't express how fun it is on prairie dogs out to 1,000 yards. Range, click, hit the switch, wait for spotter to confirm hit ;o).

I have all my turrets marked in 100 yard increments, so there is no counting clicks. Range, twist to appropriate mark, hit the switch, punch tag. All my scopes are Leupold 3x9's or 3.5x10's. They are nothing fancy, just no nonsense work horses. I have taken out numerous new hunters or hunters with no turret/long range hunting experience. I always have them practice until they have excellent trigger control. If you can squeeze the trigger, you can shoot long range with the right equipment.

I found a nice buck for the wife a couple of years ago. I ranged him at 556 yards. She was shooting a semi custom 7mm-08 with 120 grain Hornady HP bullets coming out at just over 3,000 fps. I dialed in 550 yard, told her to put the cross hairs on the front shoulder and squeeze. Bang....flop. She has never shot the far and IS NOT a shooter. She is a natural good shot, like most women are. She has done this the last few years with the same results. She just doesn't miss. I took both nephews out (mid 20's in age) and found them bucks at 450 and 400 yards. Same thing, dialed in 400 and 450 yards respectively. One shot each with the same 7mm-08, bang flops on both bucks. I can't even count the times I have done this out to 600 yards on antelope and deer. I seldom get shots under 400 yards in the areas I hunt. Everything is cross canyon shooting in very rugged country. I can't imagine hunting without turrets. I love the turrets.

All my buddies and nephews now have turrets on their scopes. They won't leave home without them either. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you can squeeze the trigger, you can shoot long range with the right equipment.

I'd need an experienced person to make the wind call for me.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Flinch--good to hear from you, hope all is well your way.

What are your thoughts on the new CDS system?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I cannot say anything negative about them. I do understand peoples concerns about using turrets, but IME if you get the concept behind them and have the slightest idea on how trajectory works they make your life a lot easier.

I started using them on hunting rifles about 6 years ago but had used them for plinking and such for quite a while before that. My first concern when starting to use them was much like anyone else will the turrets spin on accident, repeatability of adjustments, and so on. When those were finally put to rest and dialing in became second nature I started putting them on my hunting rifles, and none of the problems I made up in my head ever came to be.

Real life experience has been 5 deer beyond 400 yards three of them were around the 430-450 mark 1 was 485 and the one this year was 546. I put down the stick and string and picked up a rifle this year for elk to hunt with my younger brother who had never got an elk. I got him on an elk and he killed his first bull, which was all I really wanted to happen. Two days later I shot an bull at 1031 yards. All of these kills were 1 shot kills except the deer at 546 and the elk at 1031, both would have been had I let them be but, I shoot until they are out of sight or on the ground (personal preference). The deer had two bullets in through the lungs and the elk had 4.

I always try to close the gap as much as possible but situations and terrain and brush out here really limit the ability to spot and stalk. Most of the shot opportunities are cross canyon in reprod hemlock and doug fir, you can try and get closer if you want to but you might as well just call it exercise. Since I started using turrets I have been able to take better quality deer instead of settling for what ever I can find just to fill the freezer. Now the freezer is full and I can be picky if I am so inclined. I am sold on them and will likely use them until I do not have the ability to any more (I die).

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Dober, a while back on here a fella started a thread on here called "Spinnin and Grinnin" he was shooting a plain ole almost forgotten .270 win (like the one I use every season). He did lots of load development and the works.

He brought home some "Longrange Venison". Its a good read.....

nut

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The point that is oft times missed is using them so one can be dead nuts on at say 75 or 100 yards to thread a needle up close and then spinning for a bit further out.

3" high at 100 ain't something I want to screw with when throwing one into the brain pan of a critter going away.

Point being, nothing beats having the bullet go where the crosshairs are planted.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark,

First off good point Steelhead. I did exactly that with my elk rig. When I was going into heavily wooded north facing slopes I'd twist the turret for a zero at 100. Back out to more open terrain back to my original setting for shots out to 300 yds. That is how I caught the M1 had moved. (see Bob's post on "I ran turrets")

Last year my heavy 7 rem mag was used by one friend on the opener for coues. We all sit and glass the opposite side of a canyon. Shots are 300-600 yds. Don got his "eater" at 480. Bi-pod, rear bean bag made by Jamison, target turrets on a 8.5-25 x 50 LR. Shot was 480 yds.

Later that same week Walt and I had been trying for a certain buck for him. The darn buck was never within Walt's comfort distance with his rifle. I suggested he use my 257 Roy with a turret. Walt's original rifle and this Roy are old tang safety M77 Rugers. The buck didn't show that day and Walt decided he really wanted to have some venison when that smaller buck showed at exactly 400 yds. I was right next to Walt and told him the MOA comeup. The buck did a Best of the West DRT. That 115 VLD stoned him, he never even twitched after he fell.

That is it so far Mark. I did elk hunt with one rifle last year that had a turret but the kill was around 80 yds and didn't require any adjusting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only shot coyotes past 400. Agree with steely.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dober,
I shot an elk at 633 yards with a Leupy 2.5-8 and an M1 turret here in New Mexico a few years ago. Longest shot I have ever made on a big game animal. Just laid the rifle over my pack and popped him.

I am about to send a Leupy in to have a CDS turret installed in the next couple of weeks. I look forward to trying it out.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I took a little bitty elk calf at a lasered 589 yards in 2008 running an M1 turret on a Leupold 3.5-10x. I was still breathing a bit heavy from the climb to get in position for a shot and saw my crosshairs rise up when the first shot broke. Held my breath for the second shot and it broke clean. Result was both shoulder bones perforated. It is nice to use a dead on hold for a difficult shot. I confirmed my clicks by actual shooting out to 600 yards and had increments marked on tape around the turret.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
after lots of range time with a ragged hole shooting recipe in my 338 rum, i ordered a custom turret from kenton industries.
10 minutes into colorado's elk season, we lasered 5 elk at 700 yards.
i picked out a big cow, dialed the numbered 7 on my leupold, held behind the shoulder and gently touch the trigger in the windless early morning hour.

the 3 guys who i hunt with had been watching the elk, and were shocked at the energy a 250 grain sierra gameking had on her.
staggered her back, and wobbled forward, taking a few steps, and started to roll down the hill.

2 years before i shot another cow on the same mountain side, but a different spot at 762 yards with a 300 rum and 150 tsx's.
i can tell you first hand a 150 will pass thru an elk at that distance and cause major damage to it's insides.
i can't remember what the clicks were, but somewhere around 60 comes to mind.
3600 plus fps out of the muzzle makes for .7 of a second to cover 762 yards.

now windy days are a different story. the elevation may be correct, but doping the wind is another story.
when in doubt aleays give a lil into the wind. an elk has a large kill area. a hit in the rear of the lungs is just as good as one in the front of the lungs if the estimate is not as much.
also a liver hit is a good one as well as hitting a shoulder.
figger on a typical elk there is about a 2 foot killing shot target area.

i just got back from running my 300 rum out to 800 yards this after noon.
trying 165 grain nosler solid bases at 3550 fps.
exbal is right on the money with the click value.

Last edited by splattermatic; 06/10/10.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Huntr-633 is one of my longer shots as well, muley doe, head shot with dotz and a 95 NBT out of my 6/06. A 95 NBT up the snout and out the back of the head tends to ruin there day...grin

As for close range shots, I've ran 3" high in the heavy Minnesota woods for close to 40 years and never had an issue. But....that aint what this thread is about. Perhaps we should start a thread on that kind of thing though.

Come on guyz, theres lots of proponents of the turrets on the Fire. Need to hear more about your shots on big game past 400 yds.

Steely, you're one of the biggest proponents of turrets here how about you and your long shots (past 400) on big game?

And other please chime in as I enjoy reading about them and it's snowing like a big dog here this morn...

Thx
Dober

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mark, I use turrets but where I live not on big game.

And when I do hunt out west the majority of my hunting is archery....anyway this last year I was in AZ with my AR-15 (grim reaper) and was twisting turrets on jackrabbits.

Closest shot was 80 yds and longest was 729-749.....cant remember which, but I did miss the rabbit....by 10 inches. cry

My farthest kill was 580 and I averaged around 420.....anyway it wasnt big game but I was still twisting turrets.

This year if I dont get drawn for my Kaibab hunts I will buy a leftover Coues tag and hunt with Firstcoueswas80 with Carnivore and she wears turrets.

Also when I go to AZ in December I will be taking my 243 AI and it will also be wearing turrets.

I am a big proponent of them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some of mine...

Bull Elk 855yrds 7.82 Warbird 6.5-20 Leupold 180 NAB
Bull Elk 825yrds 7.82 Warbird 6.5-20 Leupold 180 NAB
Bull Elk 504yrds 7.82 Warbird 4.5-14 Leupold 180 NPT

Buck Deer 476yrds 7mm STW 6-18 Nikon 162 AMAX
Buck Deer 490yrds 7.82 Warbird 4.5-14 Leupold 180 NAB
Buck Deer 502yrds 7.82 Warbird 6.5-20 Leupold 180 NAB

Black Bear 500yrds 7mm Rem Mag 4.5-14 Leupold 160 NAB

Some of my friends...(to the best of my recollection)

Bull Elk 840yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 840yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 815yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 625yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 625yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB

Buck Deer 906yrds 270 WSM 6-18 Nikon 140 NAB

Black Bear 1032yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB

These are just the ones that I can remember the majority of the details. But there have been probably another 10 or 12 animals taken using turrets.

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

My good friend Alan with a good bull he killed in the Missouri Breaks with my GAP built Surgeon .308 at 447 meters(488 yards). We watched this bull bed down at dawn after a full moon night and waited for over 4 hours for him to stand up. When he did, Alan made good putting two 155gr. scenars through his ribcage. The bull never took a step. The two shots were only 1" apart. I have a 3-12 S&B PMII mil/mil scope on this setup. No wind that morning. 2.2 mils of elevation. We had the right rifle along that day. It was the second week of the season and the elk had been pressured pretty hard. Really good DIY hunt on public land.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice bull Pat, bet that was a long....4 hours..grin

Side note Pat, last night I took a bit of a walk for Billy the Bruin. Saw some elk, some muley's and lots of White...should be good tracking snow tonight if I can get away.

Dober

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dober,
I love the turrets, and would not have at least one rifle without them, however, I just don't understand the need to sport them on every rifle if I am able to make consistent hits out to 600 yards via a LRD. If a person practices (and I have the added blessing of shooting at a range with steel at regular intervals out to 800 yards) then that will cover 99% of my big game hunting. So, again, I know the turret only people go crazy when someone spouts using LRD's but, for me, they also work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

723 meters(790 yards) with my GAP built Surgeon .338 Lapua and 250gr. scenar. Scope is a 5-25 S&B PMII mil/mil. 3.8 mils elevation. 5mph wind, right to left. Held off .5 mils.

[Linked Image]

My brother in law with his first elk taken with my Surgeon .308 at 505 meters, one shot using Hornady's 208gr. AMAX....DRT. You can see the entry on the left front shoulder...bullet broke both front shoulders and left a golfball sized exit.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Huntr--I have a 3-10 Leo on an 06 at this time, haven't been able to run it past 430 yds yet but will when I get a bit more time. (time going to Grandsons All Stars b-ball and of course work..).

At this time to 400 yds and change I see it as a waste of time (4 me), but am thinking once I go beyond 400 it will work out well.

I know Pat and SU have used the turrets to take a lot of game past 400 and I always enjoying cussing and discussing things like this with them. But I am waiting to hear from others. It doesn't take long to see that there are some strong supporters of turrets on the Fire and I want to hear how many of them have actually used them to take game past 400 yds.

Hope all is well your way!

Dober

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
549 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.