Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

16 1/2" antelope buck I shot with a friends GAP .338 Lapua at 870 meters....dead calm that morning.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by orwapitihunter
Some of mine...

Bull Elk 855yrds 7.82 Warbird 6.5-20 Leupold 180 NAB
Bull Elk 825yrds 7.82 Warbird 6.5-20 Leupold 180 NAB
Bull Elk 504yrds 7.82 Warbird 4.5-14 Leupold 180 NPT

Buck Deer 476yrds 7mm STW 6-18 Nikon 162 AMAX
Buck Deer 490yrds 7.82 Warbird 4.5-14 Leupold 180 NAB
Buck Deer 502yrds 7.82 Warbird 6.5-20 Leupold 180 NAB

Black Bear 500yrds 7mm Rem Mag 4.5-14 Leupold 160 NAB

Some of my friends...(to the best of my recollection)

Bull Elk 840yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 840yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 815yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 625yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB
Bull Elk 625yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB

Buck Deer 906yrds 270 WSM 6-18 Nikon 140 NAB

Black Bear 1032yrds 300 RUM 6-18 Leupold 200 NAB

These are just the ones that I can remember the majority of the details. But there have been probably another 10 or 12 animals taken using turrets.

OMG!!! shocked Good work wapitihunter.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry, but I don't approve. But I realize the proponents don't care what I think either, so we are even. I notice no one has missed or willing to admit it. There are some that are going to get caught up with this method, feel over confident and have bad results. Bragging rights has a strong appeal.
To be proficient at 600-800 yards on paper and steel is great. But to do the same on live game is asking for a nightmare. I'm sure to be flamed so have at it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found them useful on light kicking rifles the kids have been using. My daughters 260 shooting 140 accubonds is extremely accurate yet starts to drop a bit a longer ranges. I wanted to use it last fall and by using the turrets which we practiced with out to 550 yards, we were able to easily center punch game animals in the 350 range. Again, lot of drop, but no worries and no need for magnum recoil to flatten it out.

I will second Steelie's comments and add that I find it a huge advantage to not have to have the scope on max power to utilize the turrets effectiveness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Sorry, but I don't approve. But I realize the proponents don't care what I think either, so we are even. I notice no one has missed or willing to admit it. There are some that are going to get caught up with this method, feel over confident and have bad results. Bragging rights has a strong appeal.
To be proficient at 600-800 yards on paper and steel is great. But to do the same on live game is asking for a nightmare. I'm sure to be flamed so have at it.

Nice real life tale there. What do you think of the guys who take running shots at whitetails zig zagging through the brush with their 760 pumps? Thats probably OK because its not long range...

[Linked Image]
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I didn't see where 760 pumps was the topic. I don't approve either.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How about string and stick?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What about it?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm all for whatever legal method when one is willing to put in the necessary investment of time and resources.

Shooting with turrets at long distance is one method that is at the very top of that investment requirement.
It's not easy, by far. But then most challenging and rewarding things in life are not.

The older I get, the more I realize my own weaknesses and inability to do what I once thought I was good at (think vision limitations and steadiness). Confidence is the deciding factor for me when LD shooting even at KD. One day it might take the bow out of my hand too.
Such is life.

But for those who can get the results they seek, go forth and take the challenge!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sorry, but I don't approve.

No need to apologize, we don't need your approval.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I didn't see where 760 pumps was the topic. I don't approve either.

So where is your real life tale? Have you seen this system applied in the field? Or is your opinion based on speculation?

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would rather see someone that know how to shoot take game at 700 and 800yds than some that don't at 50 and 100 yds...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My lone clicking meat buck.
[Linked Image]
Spotted him at 580 bedded down on a ridge top, thought about taking the shot, but had cover to navigate closer. Made it to around 285 before I got to the point where I couldn't get any closer without losing sight of him. Clicked a whopping 2.2moa and made a perfect lung shot on him while he was still bedded down. I could have just held 6" high and hit the lungs on him while bedded down, but using the turrets was just way cooler.

Honestly, my lightbulb moment was 2 seasons ago when I spotted (and they spotted me) 3 very large bucks across a bowl up in alpine, 500 yards. Had I been proficient with turrets and LR shooting, I would have gotten one of them, as they stopped several times to look at me, as they worked their way up a slide and into and endless sea of cover, never to be seen again. I ended up settling on a smaller 4x4 buck that trip, but that sure got me thinking about the advantages of being able to take a longer shot with confidence, in the field. The big mountain bucks up here that have survived a few alpine seasons and their share of mountain hunters didn't get big by being stupid, that's for sure. I've spent a considerable amount of time practicing for that 4-500yd shot with my lwt mountain rifles. Who knows, but it could pay off here this fall. Lord knows I'll be up on the mountains looking.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
dvdegeorge-seems to me you're a turret guy, tell us about your taking of big game past 400?

Also, Steely good to see you back on here, you're one of the strongest proponents of turrets so tell us about the big game you've taken past 400 as well?

Thx for chiming in Calvin, sounds to me like you've not taken big game past 400 with turrets though right? One of these days bring the boyz down and we can get after lopes...grin

Thx guyz, enjoy reading about it.

Dober

(still need to have FVA and wildswalker chime in, they're strong supporters of turrets as well)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have a turret on only my .257 Roy and have shot a grand total of 1 doe with it laser ranged at 419 yds....where I live and do most of my hunting it's slug gun only so not many stories to tell, when I hunt in the souther tier of NY,Pa and out of state I get to hunt with my rifles,Last hunt in TX only called for a 130yd shot so no spinning was needed.....a sample of only 1 so I didn't chime in

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Mark,

What's with the 400yd requirement? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 400 yards might not be very far in Mt on flatish ground, but in the mountains, 400yds can be an hour hike away. And, if you misjudge a hold over, it could be another long hike to get to that animal that ran 100 + yards down the wrong side of the mountain. I say a turret is beneficial whenever a precision shot is required. Whether it be at 250yds or 600 yards, depending on what you decided is a good zero for your hunting. When I look at game shot in Montana in most of the dead animal pictures, I see wide open areas with short grass. I'm sure hold over at 400 is easy when they are standing around in a field giving nice broadside shots, but that's not a reality for the places some of us hunt.

I'll ask you.. If you put two good shooters side by side, one with turrets and one holding over, which one do you think would be able to consistently be able to make more perfect shots at 400 yards?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
the .22-250AI 1:8 twist I have arriving in a week or two will garner a scope with a turret also..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx Dvdegeorge-I appreciate you chiming in. And that AI will be tons of fun, let us know if you need any help breaking it in..grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/12/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The thing that always got me with holdover is that I never knew how much to hold over, at different ranges. If I know I have 12" of hold over at 400 yds, how far do I hold over at 372 yards? 11"? How about 421 yards? 13"? Now, given I really am an imperfect guy, I'd venture when I pulled the trigger, I could actually be holding over anywhere in the range of 8-16", when looking at a deer at 400 yards. Where is that going to send the bullet?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Calvin- I started @ 400 cause for me it's incredibly easy to hit big game to 400 using the old hold over method. And I had to start somewhere and being it's a thread I started I started with a # that made sense to me.

Past 400 yds I can see where dotz, turrets will help out. 400 yds and less IME I can day in and day out get it done without either.

There's a group of turret twisters on here that are staunch supporters of the concept. I know some of them (SU and Scenar) and I know what they've done past 400. So, I asked the question as I want to see how many people aside from the guyz I mentioned have actually used turrets to kill game past 400.

Now if someone wishes to use turrets, hold over or dotz I don't really care. But I am curious by nature and so that's why I asked the question.

People can chime in if they want and or don't if they don't want, matters lil to me. But I'd like to see the strong supporters of turrets chime in and tell us about their experiences.

As for the country in Mt, some of it's open, some of it's tough to get closer, some of it's very thick, some of it's steep and deep as well. And I'm sure it's the same as anywhere else, sometimes the critters give us the time to wait for a good broadside and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they give us time to LRF them and sometimes they don't.

As to your last question, if you take a good shooter with hold over and one with turrets on big game @ 400 yds I'd say that both will get the critters on the ground just fine as long as they're both practiced with their equipment. And, I'd say that the hold over guy will generally get it done quicker and some times time is of the essessence. As long as either gets their shot off I'm confident that the end result will be the same. A dead critter and a freezer full of food.

But, that's not why I started this thread, I started it to hear about real life experience at killing game past 400 yds with turrets.

Dober

(side note, bring Anthony done here one of these years and we'll let him loose on lopes, he'll love it)

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.