Print Thread
Hop To
S
Squatch Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I drew a big game combo for montana and the other two guys and i decided we were going to go to region 3 in september to archery hunt it. I was wonderin if anyone had any information they could share with me about this unit. We are all taking separate scouting trips over there this summer to check it out and see what we could come up with for the best places to hunt. We've done a little bit of research and talked some of my relatives over there who don't hunt, but they are letting us stay with them in dillon if we want to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Matador ranch is open Block Management area just south of Dillon about 20 to 30 miles down the Blacktail. Head up to the top of the ridges between the Blacktail and the Beaverhead on the Matador and scope things out. There are a lot of elk up there and also a lot of "Road Hunters" Trucks, ATV's, utility vehicles etc. But if you're willing to get off of the Main roads which are just two tracks and do a little hiking you have a pretty good chance to kill and elk. Our party generally kill 3 to 5 every year and there are 5 or 6 of us that hunt together in that area. It is a big area so there is plenty of room for everyone and when you get 1/2 to 1 mile off of the road you are alone.

Bart

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Staying in Dillon you could commute to the area just mentioned. There are elk there for shure...get ready to hike! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dillon is raghorn heaven. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

If you're into just hunting elk and aren't afraid of bumping into other people, it's a good area. Lots of elk and lots of hunters. Pretty country too.

S
Squatch Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks Guys. Is there a lot of people hunting archery over there or is that mainly during the modern season?

I can't wait to go hunting overthere! I will shoot the first legal bull i see if i can. We will be over there for about 10 days. I will definetly check out that area.

The other two guys in my huntin party talked to a game warden and a biologist yesterday and they told them about an area west of wisdom. They said something about something road and said there is a lot of elk over there. Forgive me for not knowing exactly but i think he said bloody dick road if that exists. They said the wolves have messed up the pattern of the elk quite a bit that it's hard to predict where you will find them. The biologist also said it's open in that county so you can do a lot of glassing. He talked about the wolves not being afraid of people so i was thinkin about buying a wolf tag if it was available.

Anyway Thanks guys

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That road sounds right. Also, west of Wisdom, there was a pretty big fire higher in the timber years back that I've seen elk in. There's a good mix of open hills and thick timber to make for some fun hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bloody Dick is 30 miles south of Wisdom. The wolves have been fierce in there. Not near as many elk as their use to be. I don't know why the Bio would give you info to the that area. There's better a lot closer to Dillon. West of Wisdom, is only 47 miles south of Hamilton, and 90 south of Missoula. Its not much closer coming from Dillon. Those are big population centers and many hunters hit those areas. If I was in Dillon, I would hit the snowcrest's or the farther south, not west.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just curious, do you plan to backpack/hike, use horses, ATV's?
Here is a place where you can do all of that.
And see elk.
Just might see you there.
Good Luck.
Photo is the east side of the 'snow crest', south of 'ruby reservoir'.

Attached Images
cow creek.jpg (27.1 KB, 397 downloads)
Last edited by DWmontana; 06/12/10.
S
Squatch Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
We have Quads and we have horses and pack mules but we are debating what we want to take if any. We don't really know which would be better b/c we haven't been over there yet. I plan on doing a lot of hiking until we get something then maybe we could take the something in to get it. All three of us have packs too that we could use but we don't really know yet.

What would you suggest we take?

Thanks

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If your were going to hunt an area, (as I suggested), I would take the quads, on the first run.
Using the ATV's in a responsible manner should not bother anyone.
Basically, your first trip is a 'scouting' trip, with maybe a chance at an Elk.
You have to find the Elk before you can hunt them.
At least that's how it works for me.

Attached Images
Snow Crest looking north.jpg (74.47 KB, 379 downloads)
More Snow Crest looking south.jpg (56.36 KB, 354 downloads)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm suprised that nobody from Montana has told him about the Nunya's yet confused

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Surprises are like gifts..tis better to give than to recieve... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

It wasn't until my early 20's that........

Nevermind whistle

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.