Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GSSP-when you hit those steel plates @ 200/300/400/500/600 was it any particular order or did you mix it up?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
BP-B6

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My best shot had a lot of luck involved. Back in the early 80's, I only had a Range finder called a Ranging 1000. The Ranging 1000 was an optical unit where you moved two images together and read a crude dial.

We sighted in our 7 Mags with 168g Match kings to go on an Antelope hunt. Hunting rifle scopes with target turrents did not exist back then, so I was using a fixed 16x leupold target scope with it's limited travel, and had the target knob marked from actual shooting out to 600 yards.

When we went on the antelope hunt, we saw a good buck and hunted him for 3 days. Finally on the last day of the hunt, we saw him.
I rolled out a mat on the ground and pulled down the legs on my bi-pod, and ranged the buck.

The Crude ranging 1000 gets very touchy on reading the range after 500 yards, kinda like the side focus on a lot of scopes these days. Well, the range finder read 800 and a touch over 3 times, so I screwed the knobs to their limit at 600 and held over at an approximate guess.

The shot was so far, the 7 Mag had time to settle back down on the bi-pod when I saw the bullet hit. No doubt that the 168g Match King hit the ground about 75 yards directly in line with him, short....then I saw him just fall over! The bullet bounced right into him...now that is what I call luck!

That was the first time I had ever used target turrents in the field. I was given the idea one day at the range when I was shooting beside a guy named Mid Tompkins. He was screwing on the sights of a m1A as he went up and down on the range he was shooting. We got to talking about military snipers and now they screw up and down on their sights all the time.

The best shot that I have ever seen was not on big game. In 1976 a guy named Gary Bird with a Rem 700 BDL Varmint 223 and a 24x Tasco(unertl copy) with target knobs, shooting a load of 26g of H335 and a 55g Sierra Semi Point made the best shot that I have ever witnessed. We were shooting ground squirrels outside San Diego. Ground squirrels ranged from 350 yds to as far as you could see across a large field with giant rocks as large as your house. The ground squirrels would crawl up on the rocks and sun themselves. I was shooting a Rem 700 6 Rem Varmint and had a 6-18 Redfield. About 350 was as far as I could connect due to the amount of hold over reqired(I was sighted in at 200). Gary just kept clicking the Tasco up, walking the bullets into the squirrels.

I ranged a large rock at 700 yards with the Ranging 1000 that had 4 squirrels on it. Gary gave the dial a whirl, took a shot at a squirrel on the top of the giant rock, and the bullet hit 4' low. Gary put the cross hairs back on the squirrel and clicked the windage and elevation right to the bullet hole on the rock. Then the squirrel got squirrely and jumped off the rock and ran 100 yards to the shade. Gary was getting lined up on the squirrel after dialing in more elevation. Then squirrel jumped up on the side of the tree. Gary shot, then you saw the bark fly off the tree. The squirrel was left hanging from the tree by a right front foot toe nail....then fell, dead as an anvil. We walked off 820 large steps as the nats made a lunch out of us.

Last edited by keith; 06/17/10.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
GSSP-when you hit those steel plates @ 200/300/400/500/600 was it any particular order or did you mix it up?

Thx
Dober

Dober,

All three. Sometimes in, sometimes out, sometimes a hodge podge given to us by the range master.

Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I got a question for you Pat.

If you had any amount of money to buy a "tactical" scope, would it be a S&B?

Dan, I've sure had good luck with them so far....I think there are many really good quality Tactical scopes out there, Leupold, NF, IOR, to name a few. Today I'm mounting up a Hensoldt 4-16X56 FF on a GAP .260. This is the first Hensoldt scope I've tried. I will compare it to the PMII's I'm running on other rifles.

Mark, I've never owned a Leupold tactical scope, but have several friends that run them and they seem to work great. All of my experiences with Leupold products over the years have been positive.

I'm working up this new .260 today and I'll try to get a range report and some pics up a bit later...

I look forward to seeing the pictures of the .260

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx GSSP-that sounds like a lot of fun. I've mainly used my 7 Mashburn Super with dotz for work like this. Obviously I'd have a reload challenge but I'm thinking my times would be more than adequate.

Wish I could find a range fairly close that would have that kind of steel to give it a rip. We used to do something sort of like that except on the same gong. We'd load the gun down (not hot), then be told to hit it, we'd hit the ground and then triple tap the 430 yd gong. Under 10 seconds with the magnums was doable. When I was in sink with the gun I'd try to get the 2nd shot off b4 the sound of the first bullet striking the gong got back to me. Never could do that but it was fun to try...grin

Maybe this summer I'll get Brad and go out to his land and set out targets and give it a go. This is where it'd be nice to have a 308 or a 7/08 to work with, especially what I call a short fat.

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A couple pics of Crusader .260. Been shooting it and working on loads between rain storms all day..I'm happy so far.....grin!

[Linked Image]

Last two 5 shot groups in some pretty lousy wind and rain...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thinking that's a darn good start! What kind of speed is that load running?

And how long you sposes it's gonna stay so green this summer? I was up in Jackson Crick this morn and yeepers is it ever gorgeous up there!

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The average velocity on those 10 shots was 2844fps. Easy bolt lift and nice round primers....I've got another 10 rounds loaded up 1/2 grain more(42.5 4350) ready to go. Waitng for the wind to go down a bit. Already blew over the screens once..thinking if I could get 2900fps with the 139 scenar with a BC of .615...well, that would be OK!!!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
26"?

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
26" Schneider 1-8"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice, you had Schneiders b4?

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice rifle Pat!

And nice weather, I can't believe it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Nice, you had Schneiders b4?

Dober

A first for me....how else is a guy going to find out how good something is without trying it? I've always heard good things about them and figured it was time to give one a whirl..it broke in fast and is very smooth! I think its fast too!!

Sam, it is so green up here its almost unblievable...

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pat,
That is a heck of a rifle, congrats.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,

that is a grand rig and some fine shooting.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Pat-I've been around quite a few Schneiders, at this time I have a 4 wt on my 6/06, a 4.5 wt on my 7 Mashburn Super and a 5 wt on the my 375 Wby and almost forgot but a 4 weight on my 338 WSM. I've also had several others been around quite a few others.

To date, all have shot very well, broke in very well, clean up very well lived and their life cycles went very well.

The only wonky experience I had was with a 5 wt 10 Twist 257 Bee. It did everything very well the only fly in the oinment was it shot very very well....but only @ Roberts speeds. One of the weirder tubes I've ever been around for sure.

Shoot often and shoot straight.

Dober

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pat,
That is a sweet machine and the scope looks pretty bad a$$.
Believe you mentioned you picked up two rifles. What was the other?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some of you guys use european scopes with the reticle in the wrong plane.
When you crank up the power, the reticle thickness increases a lot. What technique do you use when the reticle obliterates the target area of an animal at long range, do you use the top edge of the horizontal cross hair?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to derail this one....

You must've used a reamer on that one that wasn't SAAMI? Or, you're jam seating them Scenars .030" or so? I'm betting thats a "Tactical 260" reamer that got used?

Also, give RL19 a whirl, if thats the longer throated reamer (with a gentler half cone angle) you should be allright up into 45.5-46 grains.

Last edited by DanAdair; 06/18/10. Reason: RL19

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Some of you guys use european scopes with the reticle in the wrong plane.
When you crank up the power, the reticle thickness increases a lot. What technique do you use when the reticle obliterates the target area of an animal at long range, do you use the top edge of the horizontal cross hair?

Sounds like you are referring to a first focal plane reticle. While the reticle appears to get larger when you increase magnification, the subtension remains constant. The crosswire on my FFP subtends .2 moa at any power. That's only about 2" at 1000 yards.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
453 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.