Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd been putting in for sheep since I was 15 but decided to stop for some reason 5 years ago. That gave me 30 years with no tag. Well, last year I said to myself "self what the hell", applied again and drew one, go figure.

I have no idea how the preference point system worked on that one. Did I lose my points when I quit applying? How far back do the points even go since I believe when we were kids (those of us around 50 or older) they didn't have them? Didn't they quit the preference system for a while then start again? I can't keep track of this kinda stuff any more.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
mw406- we dont have a preference point system in MT. It is what they call "bonus" points, theoretically a bonus point puts your name in the drawing one more time...five bonus points and your name is in the hat five times. Since everyone else that never drew has "bonus" points, you are all in the hat five times.... meaning basically your odds are the same as ever, but F&G just made more money off of you....
It is a real imperfect system, but it makes money for them, which ultimately is the object of the exercise...
And some real wonky things are known to happen in the "random" drawings....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Screw 'em, I'm movin' to uhhhh, Florida or maybe New Jersey!

Side note, anybody get their Rez tags back yet?

Last edited by SamOlson; 06/19/10.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That's what I mean ingwe, I can't even keep it straight if it's a preference or bonus system. I'm either losing it or I'm beyond the point of giving a damn.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mw406
I'm either losing it or I'm beyond the point of giving a damn.

+1 for me on both! eek

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The site's down for maintenance, looks like they might've started early.
Remember they almost always update bonus points first, then do the drawing status.

Sorry Ovis, one of the Petty creek tags is coming my way, but I'll let you help pack if you really want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rl11,
That's a deal! You draw a tag look forward to at least chasing some sheep with someone! Think I have helped with 7 now, Petty has been my backyard since I was 9 years old.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep. Odd how they sit on it almost exactly a fiscal quarter.... whistle

And "max points"... what are those???

Ingwe

Good points both.

Course as Sam says, it beats Jersey laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Three years ago I was backpacking into an alpine lake over labor day down in the Madison's... came upon a father daughter on horseback out scouting. As a 12 year old she had just passed hunters safety and had in her possession a Moose Tag... her first time applying and all.

Now, I'm as happy as anyone for a kid on their first hunt but that just ain't right. But she was darn cute.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was born in the unit and haven't left!
You've still got me for total years though by quite a few.

What do you think our chances are with the other units shutting down? I'm thinking the total applicants are going to be pretty close to doubling.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Three years ago I was backpacking into an alpine lake over labor day down in the Madison's... came upon a father daughter on horseback out scouting. As a 12 year old she had just passed hunters safety and had in her possession a Moose Tag... her first time applying and all.

Now, I'm as happy as anyone for a kid on their first hunt but that just ain't right. But she was darn cute.

A girl I went to high school with had killed a ram and a billy by her junior year. Not sure if she's drawn moose yet or not, but with her luck I'd have to assume so.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Montana has updated Bonus Points on there site. No draw for me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Still hope for goat, haven't updated those yet.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have hope but that about all I ever get.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rl11,
I think we are screwed. With all the other areas close by that had the die offs, lowered tags numbers, etc... I think Petty Creek will take on a ton more apps this year. Worst chances ever for the unit is my prediction!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JMeier,
It looks like they updated deer and elk too, I think. I really wish I would have noted my deer and elk points.

On the other hand it shows my daughter 0 points for sheep, but I had put her in for a ewe tag and I didn't think that zeroed your bonus points, maybe I am wrong? She had 2 points coming into the year. Casey

Last edited by ovishunter; 06/21/10.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you put the ewe tag in for first choice, I'm pretty sure it does. Although it doesn't count for the seven year wait.

My brother killed a huge old ewe in Petty a couple years ago, both horns right at 12 inches.

While we were skinning her head out a game warden stopped to make sure we didn't have a young ram. I Wonder if SCI or someone has a scoring system for them...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well at least I know what she needs to aim for if she wants to break the world record! LOL Strictly a backpack bow hunt, she won't shoot it anyother way, unless her dad gets impatient... LOL Just check guys. Tags are listed on the computer.
Daughter got a ewe tag the rest for us was a big huge zero!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Casey,

Congrats on the ewe tag. IT still a sheep hunt and the finest meat.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any reason to go camp out and get in the hills! Right? Will be fun. She has taken both deer, elk and bear with her bow. Guess she has a shot at adding sheep and maybe antelope this year! Casey

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.