Must be a Georgia thing.

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
I know that I'm in the minority here, but for a big game scope, I prefer a FFP especially with a ranging reticle. I took a look at a Swaro Z6 with BR reticle when they first came out & the reticle looked to be too thin for low light shots. I had a Swaro PH 3-12x50 with TDS reticle & a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 with duplex reticle on my 2 go to rifles at the time. I wanted to replace the Zeiss with a scope with a ranging reticle. Rather than buy the Z6, I found another Swaro PH with TDS which had been discontinued. In my opinion, the old TDS reticle is far superior to the BR.

Great! Someone with some real hunting sense! Swaro PH 3x12x50 with TDS is mighty hard to beat. It is a shame the geniouses in Austria decided to discontinue the best hunting scope made!(My experienced opinion) You can still get Schmidt and Benders with TDS reticle by the way.

I have a Swaro PH with the TDS reticle and like it. Which S&B reticle number have the TDS reticle? A Summit with such a reticle would be interesting.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Both scoes are of high quality. To say one is substantially better than another is wrong IMO. On an individual basis one may be better than another. But overall, I seriously doubt it. I have both Zeiss and Swaro. scopes(not the ones mentioned). And I do not feel under scoped with either one.

As far as the Zeiss 800 reticle. I do not like it. And I wil give my reasoning. I have a few scopes with these type reticles. And they do work well, but within a limit. I have couple of the Leupold VH reticles, which is basically the same thing. It takes me about 100 shots at the range to feel fully comfortable with the reticle out to 500 yards. I do not think I could shoot it enough to feel comfortable with it at any father distance than 500 yards. After 500 yards things really start to change with a bullets trajectory. And IMO there is no way they can get it right out to 800 yards. As I said I can make the reticle work with any trajectory bullet(within reason) out to 500. But I think it would be impossible to extend that to 800 yards. Everything would have to be just perfect. And I do not believe you can get it perfect. 800 yards is a long long way. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 06/20/10.

West By God Virginia
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jimbo202
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
I know that I'm in the minority here, but for a big game scope, I prefer a FFP especially with a ranging reticle. I took a look at a Swaro Z6 with BR reticle when they first came out & the reticle looked to be too thin for low light shots. I had a Swaro PH 3-12x50 with TDS reticle & a Zeiss Diavari 2.5-10x50 with duplex reticle on my 2 go to rifles at the time. I wanted to replace the Zeiss with a scope with a ranging reticle. Rather than buy the Z6, I found another Swaro PH with TDS which had been discontinued. In my opinion, the old TDS reticle is far superior to the BR.
You can get the Klassic series with TDS. 3x12x42, 3x12x50, and 4x16x50.

Great! Someone with some real hunting sense! Swaro PH 3x12x50 with TDS is mighty hard to beat. It is a shame the geniouses in Austria decided to discontinue the best hunting scope made!(My experienced opinion) You can still get Schmidt and Benders with TDS reticle by the way.

I have a Swaro PH with the TDS reticle and like it. Which S&B reticle number have the TDS reticle? A Summit with such a reticle would be interesting.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
Both scoes are of high quality. To say one is substantially better than another is wrong IMO. On an individual basis one may be better than another. But overall, I seriously doubt it. I have both Zeiss and Swaro. scopes(not the ones mentioned). And I do not feel under scoped with either one.

As far as the Zeiss 800 reticle. I do not like it. And I wil give my reasoning. I have a few scopes with these type reticles. And they do work well, but within a limit. I have couple of the Leupold VH reticles, which is basically the same thing. It takes me about 100 shots at the range to feel fully comfortable with the reticle out to 500 yards. I do not think I could shoot it enough to feel comfortable with it at any father distance than 500 yards. After 500 yards things really start to change with a bullets trajectory. And IMO there is no way they can get it right out to 800 yards. As I said I can make the reticle work with any trajectory bullet(within reason) out to 500. But I think it would be impossible to extend that to 800 yards. Everything would have to be just perfect. And I do not believe you can get it perfect. 800 yards is a long long way. Tom.

All you have to know is all your ballistic info. ie bullet weight, Bullet BC, velocity, sight above bore, and altitude. Punch the info in the online calculator and bam. It has worked for me countless times. I can be pinging steel at 600yards in less than 10 shots and have done so many times. The TDS and Rapid Z systems just work. You do have to remember to re-calculate if your load or elevation changes drastically but no big deal. I am no genius but these systems are.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.