Print Thread
Hop To
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Does anyone use a long bow for hunting? I am going to get back into bow hunting and was toying with the idea of getting a long bow. What are the limitations for using a long bow? I am guessing that using one from a treestand is out. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Tom,<P>I hope you get responses from others who have personal experience. I have friends who use long bows and recurves to hunt game in alaska. Actually, I don't think a treestand is necessarily precluded. The flat bows are not much longer than recurves. Of course, shooting a longbow requires practice, practice, practice. It's something I've been meaning to try for a long time, but have other priorities for now.<P>Good luck.

"If a little's good, a lot's better, and way too much is just right!"
R
R
pump , i shoot as my name says a recurve or one the five i own . have a tendency to get carried away .<BR> long bows can be shot out of tree stands ,you just have to trim a little more so bow limbs don't hit anything , also not too short of bow limbs (more hand shock in short limb bows ), that is why i shoot a recurve . don't if you haven't shot a bow before don't get one with to high of a draw weight. <BR> also if i was someone starting out i would learn to shoot instinctive which is not using sights . but it takes practice . i shoot at least 50 arrows a day about 20 to 30 minutes . i joined the local archery club in dec . shot once a week after snow went started shooting every day ,in dec. had a hard time hitting the paper the target was printed on , just shot 36 arrows 80% were in heart, lung and liver . shots between 17 yds and 30yds. getting better every day . instinctive shooting is great just before dark when sight pins are hard to see all you have to do is see the spot . if you have any questions e-mail me ---- herb

P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Thanks for trhe feedback gents. to answer your question recurve. I have done some bow hunting (with no luck I might add) and I am a fair shot with a compound. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Pumpgun,<BR>Recurve Shooter gave you a lot of valuable information in those few lines. Longbows and the other traditional bows are a lot of fun but you have to Practice, Practice, Practice! I own 3 custom Longbows which are made by Zebra Inc. out of Beetown, Wis. But there are many fine bows out there. Talk to other traditional shooters before purchasing one. They will tell you a lot of the information you will want to know and they love to share their knowledge.<P>Tom Y. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.