Print Thread
Hop To
W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Who can tell me about this area? Elk shape good enough or do I need to pick it up a little?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I'd say pick it up a bit.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a goat there in 1995. Elk shape will get you up some of the trails. After that, you will need goat shape. Some easy areas that get hit hard and then some killer places that don't get much attention.....for good reason.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks guys. There goes the summer beer plans...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldnt wait for November hair either.....winter gets going in there a lot sooner than everywhere else.

Good Luck and enjoy your hunt!!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fin-did you go in via the Boulder?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wheres 323...?

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to the back end of the Boulder (south of Big T) and you can get in it from the north that way, or you can get into it from Mill Creek (or at least i think that's the NW corner and then down to Jardine.

Not sure if that makes any sense?

Dober

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh......

Yeah, thats gonna take more than "elk" shape...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
wyoelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
A friend drew the tag and we are hitting 100% on filling tags when hunting together. Why screw with Karma?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Here you go....a look at what the weather can be like in there in mid October.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I came in from Mill Creek, but having provided maps to some friends who have drawn, they reported to me that when they went in for hunts in 2008 and 2009 that the USFS has closed a couple miles of the road, due to worry about burned trees falling. Uh, ever hear of a chain saw?

That adds about two or three extra miles to what is already one hell of a grunt, so if doing it again, I would probably come in from the Boulder. Fortunately, I am too old to do it again. smile

Scenar is right, don't wait too late to go in there, as you might not get in there if the snow comes early. It is such steep and rugged country you are not getting around in there with a couple feet of snow. And it is risky enough, without the added element of snow and ice.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigFin
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I came in from Mill Creek, but having provided maps to some friends who have drawn, they reported to me that when they went in for hunts in 2008 and 2009 that the USFS has closed a couple miles of the road,

About 9 miles of road when I went in 2008.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Went in the Boulder side in 2000 to get my goat, but only have hard copy pics. He is eye-balling me as I type this though. laugh

Last edited by mtmiller; 06/22/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pics, what time of year was that?

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2008 was October 7 and 2000 was the 18th IIRC. Better hair on the first hunt, but not disappointed with either. If I would have waited another day or two in 2008, I would not have been able to get to my goat. Always risky with timing in that HD....at least where I have hunted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wondered if MT "Goat Killer" Miller would weigh in on this thread.

Besides being lucky enough to draw the tag twice in eight years, he also happens to be the most serious goat hunter I know. Mr. Modesty, who lurks in the background.

How big is the herd you have on your wall these days, Craig? Got any other goat plans this year?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoelk
Elk shape good enough or do I need to pick it up a little?

Good luck and and have fun. My hunting partner was a little tired while on a 4th of July scout trip.

[Linked Image]

Have a great hunt and enjoy some amazing country. You only live once.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Most wiped out I've ever been was the late hours after a long day of mtn goat hunting in that unit with a friend who had a tag. It's a real goat unit. Waiting until late October is a gamble, Waiting until November is stupid. I'd plan 1st week in October, hair is good.

A friend of mine (who shot a 10" billy there last year) has 2 sons that both drew it this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks to me like Axel is having some good puppy dog dreams.. wink

Dober

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

509 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.