-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you know if they had a family? Those offspring would have stories of randpa and Grandma.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They never had children. Osa was survived by her mother. I can't remember right now when her mother died but it was several years after Osa's death. I can't recall from memory right now anything about Martin's family.

-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by catnthehat
hey, did you notice that both warthogs in your photo and the one with Osa's are VERY similar in size??!!

Funny how that worked out, isn't it?!

-Bob F. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW great thread!!! Glad to see it in the hands of someone who truly appreciates it. I saw that future plans include donating the rifle to the museum, I think that's very generous and it will undoubtedly be a huge addition to their collection for all to enjoy..... but have to admit it saddens me a little to think of that ole gal sitting in a glass case in Kansas vs seeing more action in Africa and elsewhere. Any plans to hunt with it yet?

Great find and thanks for sharing.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Stetson
Bob where is their final resting place? When we were on Maui last year we tried to make it to the far side well past Hana to see Charles Lindbergs grave. Unfortunatly severe storms the days before made it a bit of a rough trip in a rental car and we never made it quite that far.

I did make it to Lindbergs grave and wish I hadn't...worst road I ever drove on in a rental car or any car. BTW Lindbergs Winchester model 54 rifle in the "Air and Space" museum in D.C.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 05/25/10.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I went a little crazy today and purchased a new rifle. It's described by the seller as:

"Winchester 1895 405 cal. TEXAS SPECIAL EDITION, 24 inch round barrel, case colored receiver and butt plate. Deluxe checkering, gold trigger, buckhorn rear sight, A+ fancy walnut. New in box with papers. Serial number: xxxxxTEX95"

Of course, this is one of the recent production rifles. I've never heard of a Winchester Model 1895 TEXAS SPECIAL EDITION before. Notice the "TEX95" in the serial number. I haven't got a clue as to when they were originally offered or why. Anyone have any info?

Anyway, I just couldn't stand seeing Osa with her 1895 in .405 Winchester any longer. I had to have one to play with. It should be fun to fool around with. Here's the seller's photos of the rifle:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like I'll be needing to buy some cases, bullets and reloading dies fairly soon! I guess I'll have to just suffer through the ordeal!!... grin grin grin

Cheers! grin
-Bob F.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-Bob F. grin smile

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn!!!!! Those are nice Bob!!!!! I didn't know that's what those were?????? Teach me to pay more attention to things! Maybe had it been a Mauser I'd have paid better attention to the details!

We actually got one in used about 2 weeks ago. Set in the rack until today. As I was going to put an awesome and minty 1909 Argentine Mauser (that came in today), on hold in the bosses office tonight (yep for me!!!); I noticed someone had put the 95 on hold! It is a clean and very nice looking rifle!

Good catch Bob! And keep those pics coming!!!!!

Bob N.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some photos from the book I Married Adventure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Awesome Bob, great thread and pic's.

Have you shot it yet? If not, you are much more patient than I am.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some more photos of Osa with George Eastman (founder of the Eastman Kodak Company and the inventor of roll film):

[Linked Image]
Baking bread in camp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hey Bob,

GREAT pics as usual!!

Just wondering if you've found out anything about your 1895 Texas Special Edition? I've been all over the internet and can't find a thing. Even ran the ser# and NOTHING.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have really enjoyed this thread and the great pictures. I happened up on a real jewel. How about Osa Johnson's book Jungle Friends signed by Mrs. Johnson? I am tickled to death with it. I collect books and this is one of my best catches. reflex264
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a picture of Osa that has not been previously posted and some might appreicate:

http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/BE003302.html

Attached Images
smallosa.jpg (4.31 KB, 767 downloads)

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reflex264
I have really enjoyed this thread and the great pictures. I happened up on a real jewel. How about Osa Johnson's book Jungle Friends signed by Mrs. Johnson? I am tickled to death with it. I collect books and this is one of my best catches. reflex264

A signed copy! Yeah, I'm a little jealous! grin Good catch!

Would you mind taking a photo of the page she signed and posting it? I'd really like to see it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by reflex264

A signed copy! Yeah, I'm a little jealous! grin Good catch!

Would you mind taking a photo of the page she signed and posting it? I'd really like to see it.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

I will be more than happy to as soon as it shows up. Can't wait to have it in my hands. reflex264

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bob,
If you looked across the street as you were getting your picture taken in front of the museum sign you were looking at 2 Victorian style homes. The second 3 story is my sister and BIL house so I've been through the museum a bunch. If you or any other campfire member gets down that direction and wants to get together just let me know. There is a family farm about 20 miles southeast of Chanute down by Moran where I'm from. If you would like to shoot a whitetail within 20 miles of that rifles home let me know and it will happen. It may be a big doe but it will happen. Very nice rifle cograts.
Best Regards
Doug

Doug Burche
Gun coating with Dyna Coat and CeraKote
Dyna Bore Coat,Because barrel cleaning SUCKS.
www.dynamicfinishes.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug,

Bob was thinking about coating said rifle. Perhaps you could give him professional assistance.

A good coating, along with a McSwirly (ask Steelhead for colour sceme) and a re - barrel to .375 Ruger it would be good to go.

Oh, not to forget drill/tab, and 20 MOA Pic-Base and Nichtforce 2,5-10x24 scope to get you out to 500 meters (just as the folding blades, just tacticool).

Would need a sidesafety with the timmney trigger...

If you people had any idea of the resistence my fingers were putting up writing the $hit above.

Treasure of a rifle - great it found a appreatiative home.

I second the notion - that rifle needs to be hunted. Preferably in Africa.

Would not be species appropriate keeping otherwise.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Coolness!!! [Linked Image] Thanks for posting it!

Cheers! [Linked Image]
-Bob F. smile

Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,543 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.