Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
for cape buff and ele? I realize softs/solids on the buff, and solids all the way for the ele. But, Barnes, Noslers, Hornady, Woodleighs? How do I do some initial sorting out, before I wind up buying way to many bullets to try?

Also, what are the chances of loading softs and solids and getting them to hit at the same POI? I want the loads to be around 2400 fps, does that nock some of the bullets out initially[ie: Barnes]?

maddog

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
md...I personally liked and used the 300 gr. Swift A-Frame and monolithic solids ( also 300 gr)... I believe I used earlier Barnes solids but today Id use their banded solid...really good design. The Swifts did an excellent job for me and others....they shoot well, and with the ,375 its no great trick to get POIs pretty much touching....

Lots of good bullets out there today...so get ready for lots of advice..conflicting and otherwise...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Ingwe! I thought I might initially get some 300 gr. hornadys to practice with, and to get used to the rifle.

You got any pet loads to try, especially for getting the softs/solids to hit the same POI?

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pet loads for me were 64 gr. of IMR4895 behind the .300 grainers...they hit within 3/4 in of each other in my rifle.Velocity was right at 2500 fps. Seating depth was always easy with the .375, seat them so they fit in the Magazine, or in your case...the chamber...
300 Horns. would be a good practice boolit, and we ( me and a pard..) used some on PG with great results..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This thread will no doubt bring forth various suggestions from many hunters, all promoting their favorite .375 "soft."

I will only note that the most experienced African PH I have hunted with prefers his .375 H&H when backing up buffalo hunters, reserving his .458 Lott for elephant guiding. I asked him what expanding bullet he prefers in the .375 (and his preference is for expanding bullets) and he said, "Whatever my clients leave behind. Today they're all good."

This guy has been either a game ranger or PH for over 40 years now, and has personally killed over 600 buffalo, so I listen when he talks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone has their own pet ideas on this and the subject probably inspires more campfire debates than most other subjects.

Personally I like the GS Custom flat nosed mono solid and the Woodleigh PSP.... and yes, you should be able to load them to the same POI without too much trouble.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll throw my 2 cents in for what its worth. Basically, I'm in agreement with Ingwe. I, too, like the Swift 300gr for softs and most any solid will work and usually they can be made to hit at some POI. I had really good results with the Northfork solids and they have a stellar reputation. Northfork used to sell a trial pack of 5 solids for you to try, basically to make sure they would feed in your rifle, so that might be a cheap option to look at if they still offer that option. You also shouldn't have any issues with hitting 2400 fps with any bullet, Barnes included.

Test

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by maddog
for cape buff and ele? I realize softs/solids on the buff, and solids all the way for the ele. But, Barnes, Noslers, Hornady, Woodleighs? How do I do some initial sorting out, before I wind up buying way to many bullets to try?

Also, what are the chances of loading softs and solids and getting them to hit at the same POI? I want the loads to be around 2400 fps, does that nock some of the bullets out initially[ie: Barnes]?

maddog

First, you don't need solids for buffalo any more unless you are shooting Sierras or some other tinfoil bullet. With todays's premiums, you only need solids for elephant, rhino or body shots on Hippos on land. Personally I've shot buff with A Frames (375 and 416 Rigby) and they were magnificent. Today and if your rifle shoots them, there is no better bullet in terms of penetration and performance than the TSX and for your 375 I'd go with the 270gr pushed as fast as I could get it. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First, you don't need solids for buffalo any more unless you are shooting Sierras or some other tinfoil bullet. With todays's premiums, you only need solids for elephant, rhino or body shots on Hippos on land. Personally I've shot buff with A Frames (375 and 416 Rigby) and they were magnificent. Today and if your rifle shoots them, there is no better bullet in terms of penetration and performance than the TSX and for your 375 I'd go with the 270gr pushed as fast as I could get it. jorge

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY JORGE...........................

+++1

Last edited by jmp300wsm; 07/02/10.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look up JJ Hacks and others reports here and in big bore rifles on the Barnes 270gr TSX. It does not get any better than that.

I still believe in having solids in the magazine for shooting lengthwise through a Buff who might be going straight away from you or straight at you. Barnes Banded solid of the same weight or 300gr in the mag would be my pick.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by cmg; 07/02/10. Reason: promised myself to stay out of bullet threads

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
maddog,

I have used the Remington Safari ammo with the 300 gr Swift A-Frame on buff and the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid on hippo, both worked well in my H&H rifles.

If I was going back for more buff I would use my .375 Ruger with the 270 gr FailSafe (I have a couple of hundred put away). If those were gone, I would go with the Barnes 270 gr TSX.

good hunting...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good pick but don't forget the 285 grain grand slam.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think you should judge a bullet on it's successes but rather by it's failures and failure rate. As I see it, one failure will tell you more about the bullet than a thousand successes and regular or repeated failures of a specific type will tell you even more.

FWIW, the bullet I like the least and have seen fail most often is the TBBC. Esp in .375.

I'm not suggesting they all fail but that from my experience, they fail more regularly than the others.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by safariman
Look up JJ Hacks and others reports here and in big bore rifles on the Barnes 270gr TSX. It does not get any better than that.

I still believe in having solids in the magazine for shooting lengthwise through a Buff who might be going straight away from you or straight at you. Barnes Banded solid of the same weight or 300gr in the mag would be my pick.

Saeed, the owner of the AR forum and with more than 150 buffalo to his credit, has shot numerous buffalo with his 375/404 and his own version of the TSX (called the Walterhog)while running away at the base of the tail with conplete penetration up to and including pass throughs. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have 300 A-frames and 300 Woodleigh solids shooting the same in my 375.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I'm almost done working up loads for mine.

So far it shoots 270 grain TSXs at 2700 fps about 2.25" higher than 300 grain round noses at 2530 fps, both at 100 yards.

That's perfect. It means I'm right on at 100 yards with solids and the 270 grainers are right on at 200 yards, 8" low at 300.

Assuming, of course, that 300 grain solids shoot the same as 300 grain round nose expanding bullets. I'm 99% sure they will and have some loaded up to confirm that.

I will take both 270 grain TSXs and 300 grain North Fork solids to Africa in May. Both are monolithics.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am leaving on July 27th. I have loaded the 300gr Swift A frame to 2650fps with RL17 and I'm shooting the Barnes Banded solid 300 gr at 2600. The Solid hits abut 1" lower at 100yds and they are at the same impact at 50yds.

My PH Buzz Charlton prefers the SAF to any other bullet. I told him that I was going to load the 270 gr TSX and he said that they have been seeing pass thru's on Buff with that bullet. It kills the buff just fine but they have been seeing some wounded animals when they are grouped up in the Bush. He preferred that I use the SAF or the 300 gr TSX. I decided on the SAF. I've been happy with it at the range, just need to see how it performs in the field. Buzz has seen thousands of Buff die and he says that the SAF is the best in his mind.

Myles McCallum thinks that the NP, SAF, NorthFork, Woodleigh and TSX are all fine, just pick on you like and practice a lot.
Lee

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Amazing. You mean there isn't one premium .375 bullet that kills buffalo and all the rest bounce off?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ebby: I used the Aframe in my 414R and 375 on buffalo and a host of other animals with great success. They are a fantastic bullet and you can't go wrong. jorge

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.