Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guys - Thanks for the H4831SC tip! Haven't tried that one for 'cold' rifle yet.

Sam Olson - Can you tell what cartridges you tested at 400 please?

GB1

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
JB,

Thanks for the good info.
We use H-4831SC exclusively in 7mm Magnums with no problems in cold weather in the UP.
As a test engineer, I could not accept warming a bullet, then stuffing it in a chamber at zero degrees F and expect valid results, or visa versa.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the UP info. Never can have enough data!

Warming/cooling ammo only has always sounded like a weird way to do it. It would especially be suspect when testing primers, because a primer would start warming or cooling the instant it touches the bolt face. I mean, how thick is a primer cup?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP

for those cartridges I would get some RL17 and some H4831 and never look back.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Good info. The last sentence in the second study sums it up, "it raises more questions than answers". Looks like most of the previous data is suspect.

Where I am concerned is those 100 deg. days where the ammo might get as hot as 120 in the sun or trunk of a car. I try to keep it in a lunch cooler under those conditions. I don't do much cold weather hunting these days but when temps are in the teens I keep extra ammo in my inner pockets closer to my body and switch it out every hour or so. Probably doesn't accomplish much.

Makes me wonder about those red line 270 WSM loads including the factory ones.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slopshot
Guys - Thanks for the H4831SC tip! Haven't tried that one for 'cold' rifle yet.

Sam Olson - Can you tell what cartridges you tested at 400 please?

I tested H4831SC in my 270WCF.

H4350 in a 257 Roberts and a 300WSM.

R17 in two 300WSM's.

Like I mentioned, H4831SC worked very well when it got below 0F. The H4350 and R17 loads lost some velocity(50-100fps?, don't have my notes handy) which is no big deal except for the fact that POI was several inches lower and group size had nearly doubled to 2MOA(8" at 400 yards).

Inside of 300 yards I wouldn't worry but won't be taking any shots much further if it's real cold outside. I guess if it's cold I'll take the 270 but will probably just sit inside and drink whiskey and watch football instead.

It's not fun gutting out deer when it's -20F, made that mistake once, never again.....(grin)

And like you guys said, you're good to go from roughly 5-85F which covers 99% of the hunting here in Montana.

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/04/10.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks for the UP info. Never can have enough data!

Warming/cooling ammo only has always sounded like a weird way to do it. It would especially be suspect when testing primers, because a primer would start warming or cooling the instant it touches the bolt face. I mean, how thick is a primer cup?

Good question. But wouldn't the giant mass of brass, powder, lead and copper buffer the primer from warming or cooling to whatever temp the bolt face is if the shot is taken a few seconds after chambering the cartridge?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The priming compound is up against the bottom of the cup, the thin sheet of metal that is right against the bolt face. While the head of the case no doubt does tend to keep the primer cooler, I can't believe that the priming compond doesn't start to warm up the instant it touches the bolt face.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer to think of it as testing hunting rifles and ammunition under actual field conditions.

Freezing my ass off is, well, often part of hunting!

It isn't really scientific in data collection, but it is actual experience that I have found H 1000 Extreme to work over the temperature extremes in Montana. The antelope was in 50+ degree weather at 650 yards. The elk at below zero temperatures at 450 yards. I never questioned the rifle's ability at either animal at either distance. I chose the Extreme powder to accommodate that type of hunting with a 300 Weatherby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
H1000 is also a good one, from what I have seen as well. I run it in the 6.5-06 I use for longer-range varmints, pronghorn, etc., and so far it hasn't shown any noticeable changes out to 700 yards, though I haven't tested it in super-cold weather yet.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Silly Mule Deer; don't you remember? Properly-seated primers are below flush with the case head, so they don't touch the bolt face at all! wink

Seriously, though, one of the questions raised by the studies linked is: Are the 'temp-insensitive' powders merely coated with an easy-lighting substance?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One thing to remember is that powder lot# vary in buring rate, re-test different lots or buy of the same lot#, especially if you are shooting load at a Max load or just below Max.

It's a bad deal to be on a hunt, and sieze the bolt up in your rifle....lesson that I learned while on a deer hunt in Utah. I shot just underneath the belly of the buck at 400, and could not get the bolt open for another shot....buck just stood there and looked at me!

Pressures skyrocket at temps below Minus(-) 25 degrees.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
h1000 is what i use in my 338 ultra and 257 roy works great

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
h1000...very little deviation....best i have found

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In my cold weather testing in Minnesota, my logbook shows that 3 powders have been my most consistent - Varget, H4350 and H4831SC.
I have used these 3 powders for: .204Ruger, .223, 7x57, .270Win., .270WSM, .308, 30-06, 300WM, 300WSM, 338WM and last but not least, the 375 H&H. I feel I have not short changed myself on performance and the consistency from 0* to 80* on my chronograph and the logbooks back it up. Also, it simplifies powder purchases to 8 lb. kegs. This system has kept me from trying the new powders of the last few years but I am happy with with what I have.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer to think of it as testing hunting rifles and ammunition under actual field conditions.

Freezing my ass off is, well, often part of hunting!

I remember doing that quite a bit growing up in Montana. -30 on Thanksgiving day in the mountains around Eureka or above Trout Creek. I'm a sissy now. Southern Idaho is warmer.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It is indeed! My mother has lived in Boise for over 40 years now....

John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JB,
Is there any meaningful difference in temp stability of Ramshot's TAC vs. X-Terminator? TAC works well in my 338 Fed, but it appears X-Terminator might work even a bit better with the lighter bullets.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience TAC is noticeably less temp-sensitive. In my very first cold-weather test of TAC, in a .223, the same load chronographed EXACTLY the same at zero F. as it did at 70. Now, that would be highly unusual, even when chronographing the same load twice in one day, but still....

My question: What do you mean by X-Terminator working "better?" Does it get 50 more fps? Or does it group 1/4" tighter at 100 yards? Is it enough better to make any difference to a deer?

In my cold-weather hunting loads I'm very willing to give up a little accuracy and 100 fps of hot-weather speed for consistent performance at any temperature I may be hunting in.

John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, 'better' is a highly variable notion that I'm free to change on a whim depending on what seems important at the moment. Yesterday, 'better' meant faster. However, it's also related to the fact that I have not been able to get 180 BTs to shoot very well with TAC. Ironically, TAC is my go-to load with the 185 TTSXs. Quite pleased with it there. I most likely just need to fiddle with the TAC/180BT load more to find a sweet spot. Looking at the Ramshot load data, X-Terminator was, as you noted, about 50FPS faster than TAC (but also at a higher pressure, ...maybe just add a touch more TAC and equal FPS at same psi?). So, I was thinking I may try it, and if I were to get the 180s to go faster and be more accurate that would be "better". I would not try X-Terminator if it is significantly more impacted by temps. Shooting near 100deg this week, will be shooting well below freezing in the winter. I do agree that accuracy trumps all. It is my search for accuracy (and just curiosity) that leads me to consider trying X-Terminator. ...or maybe I should try IMR 8208 XBR?

Last edited by prm; 07/05/10.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.