24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't work out why remington don't have one in their varmint rifle range.

They had one but nobody bought it. They had the heavy barrel VLS model available in .260 for two years. Was back in the late 90s if I recall correctly. They're rarely seen on the used market.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by biglmbass
I can't work out why remington don't have one in their varmint rifle range.

They had one but nobody bought it. They had the heavy barrel VLS model available in .260 for two years. Was back in the late 90s if I recall correctly. They're rarely seen on the used market.

People bought everyone they made, I doubt they are sitting on crates of 'em somewhere. The remington marketing people are absolute morons, I submit the SAUM fiasco as evidence. The SAUM is a far superior design than the WSM, and rem strangled their own kid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LowBC
The biggest problem with 260rem is that not enough of the gun manufacturers support it. I can't work out why remington don't have one in their varmint rifle range. I must confess to myself eyeing off one of those Sako 85 Varmints in 260rem...would it be wrong to have two 260's smile

Nope, own 2 Sako's now, Grey Wolf and Varmint....in the process of a Borden Custom Alpine w/fluted heavy bbl.

Certainly a few Loonies here supporting it wink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
yep; had a Rem 700 VLS barreled action .260 in a Mcm HTG and like an idiot, sold it a couple years back; am still kicking myself. So I had Dave Sink build me another heavy barrel .260 on a FN action, Benchmark barrel, and Mcm HTG; she is a one holer at 100 with factory (Rem) ammo....

Go .260 and don't look back; you can push 140's to 2700 FPs and that is where they are most accurate anyway....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kyreloader
Seafire, I was easily able to get 3100 fps out of my 6.5x284 with RL17 powder in my 28 inch barrel. H4831 topped out about 2950 fps. (not sure if 28" barrel in cancelling factor in your comparison)

No dog in this fight, just quoting my experience.

My barrel only lasted about 1200 rounds however before accuracy went away.

well the velocity is impressive!

the barrel life.. well that is not too impressive..

I hope my comment didn't give thoughts of me trying to invoke a contest here..

it just verifies my thoughts on velocity versus barrel life..

I lean toward barrel life.. and if I am shooting longer range, I rely on elevation adjustments on the scope instead of velocity out of the muzzle..

I just like the academic accomplishment of your obtained MV..

always like to know the parameters, in case they are needed in a pinch..lets one know the capabilities of their cartridge and rifle, both on the high end and the low end..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
and if I am shooting longer range, I rely on elevation adjustments on the scope instead of velocity out of the muzzle..

And that's dandy for targets but if you're hunting long range you will need the bullet to open up and for most makes the minimum speed needed is between 1,600 and 1,800 fps.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Amen to that Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
TMR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by TMR
I would run a 6.5-06 Ackley. Running just over 3200fps with a 27" barrel and a 140 berger. Well under 1/2moa accuracy, standard bolt face, cheap brass, and low recoil.

What action and were there any feeding issues with the Ackley? IE, did rails or the feed ramp need modifying?

Standard bolt face long action is all a guy needs. There are NO feeding problems with the Ackley's. Alot of bad press out there on how they feed. We run them in tactical match's and have never had a single problem. Including fast stages with 3 shots in under 15 seconds.....we have run the 3 shots in 7 seconds to be exact. When I build an Ackley, I smooth the feed ramp if there are alot of machining marks from the factory. This is very rarely needed, but occasionally I get a receiver that is pretty rough. They feed from BDL's, detachable mags, whatever.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
How is the quality of Hornday's Creedmoor brass?

Last edited by RinB; 06/18/10.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Krumarine, thought about one of those FNs from CDNN, not a bad way to go for a cheap reliable action w/one pc. bolt handle IIRC.

What trigger - factory?

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
RinB
You can get a Ruger Varmint in Creedmoor. Don't know how well they sell or how many other manufacturers are supporting them.

Has anyone seen or shot the Ruger Creedmoor varmint rig???

LowBC

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Low BC Thanks for the tip I will look into it

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
260 AAR or 6.5/08 AI!
Aloha, Mark

When fear of death is no longer a big deal~~~ the "Rules of War" change dramatically!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by LowBC
The biggest problem with 260rem is that not enough of the gun manufacturers support it. I can't work out why remington don't have one in their varmint rifle range. I must confess to myself eyeing off one of those Sako 85 Varmints in 260rem...would it be wrong to have two 260's smile

I have 3 of them.. plus one is in a factory Remington VLS...

plus I have 3 barrels that need to be mounted...all chambered in 260 Rem, and threaded to Model 70 actions..

and all have one in 8 twists except the Rem VLS which sports a one in 9...

so no, having 2 of them is not a problem...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
i've got a 6.5-284 brewing in my mind right now. black hills and corbon make factory loads. probably will start gathering components this fall assuming my smith tells me i can do it in a short action without giving up too much. from what little research i've done it seems to be the best performing short action 6.5mm cartridge. Maybe 6.5 remington magnum or a wildcat 6.5 saum/wsm would do better but i'm not a reloader yet and factory ammo in those is basically non-existent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree totally with your pic for long range[264 Win mag]However,I have been shooting the same custom rifle I built in 1970 with a steady diet of H-570 and 130-140 gr pills with no throat or barrel errosion.A good quality tube and common sense reloads will give you extended barrel life in any magnum caliber.I still don't know why the 264 always gets such a bad rap with all the Weatherby barrel burners out there!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fleming I agree on the 264 Win Mag I have been shooting my Remington model 721 since 1963 and finally replaced the barrel last summer. The original barrel had all bullets from 85gr HP to 165gr round nose max loads to 7grs under max. The key is to not over heat the barrel. My new Shilen 30 inch heavy barrel does not heat up to what the original barrel did and I am sure this new barrel will out live me.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Short action = 6.5X284 OR 260AI....................Long Action NO BRAINER 264WinMag!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
264 WM--Sounds like you have gone all out with that rebarrel job--a 30" tube should be able to ring every bit of 6.5 performance out of that remington!!!My pride and joy was built in 1970--FN Mauser action/Timmony trigger and air-gaged
26"Douglas supreme barrel with medium taper.Action bedded and full float on the tube.According to ballistics charts and benchrest shooting my 140s depart at just shy of 3200.Recently switched to Barnes 130 gr triple shocks and they even shoot tighter and flatter which really suprised me for a solid copper pill!!!You are absolutely right, cool barrels can last almost a life time --I have probably launched close to 700-800 rds over the years out of my 264 which I know seems like alot but have done it with great care.
Nice to visit with you,
Flem

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fleming sounds like you have a keeper also. My gunsmith glass bedded the action and the chamber because of the barrel weight and free floated the rest of the barrel and bead blasted the barrel to prevent glare and light reflection.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
212 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.